PDA

View Full Version : exercise advice pleaes

giddy
16-03-06, 17:34
Not sure if this is the right place for this post - sorry!
I know I should be trying to do some exercise - I managed to do the warm up from a dvd at the weekend! But not managed any this week. Is it safe to exercise when you are exhausted after another sleepless night and hard day at work? I'm scared of making myself feel even worse. I walk to and from work (20mins both ways). is this enough exercise do you think?
Thanks Helen

shiv
16-03-06, 17:40
According to my dad who's a renowned expert in anxiety and cbt he says plenty of cardio-vascular exercise(ie the sort that pushes your heart rate right up) is better than any pill or therapy going. It will probably, in fact, push your energy levels right up and certainly won't harm you.
Go for it

Shiv x

giddy
16-03-06, 17:48
Thanks Shiv - I'll give it a go and hope my feeble legs hold out!!
Helen

chop
16-03-06, 17:54
The thing that helped me the most (even after sleepless nights) was running and running far. I statrted slow but worked up.

Works wonders!! I was at witts end and it does work but tis hard to start. Amazing results from hard exercise but remember it may make u feel worse/anxious after but that is not anxiety but merely your body working.

You get used to it.

I was run over recently and cant run. My mood is deff affected badly. Cant wait to exercise again.

P.S. I NEVER thought I would run and enjoy it. I used to drive across the road to mates house etc.

P.S. Helps u sleep better too. they say dont do it at night as might keep u awake but it doesnt me.

Chop

Learning to under react

giddy
16-03-06, 18:34
Thanks Chop - I used to do loads of exercise before all this started, I can't believe I'm so scared of it now!! I will give it a go and start slowly and gradually build it up. I'm just scared of collapsing!!
Hope you recover from your accident quickly and get those running shoes on again!!
Take Care
Helen

Piglet
16-03-06, 19:43
I am sure if you build up slowly you will regain confidence pretty quickly, that way you'll enjoy it better too.

I got back exercising by doing yoga and now I try and jog on my little rebounder for 15 mins everyday too :D

When we feel rough with anxiety although probably more than capable of doing any exercise we want, it is quite nice to start gently and feel happy with that first.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

giddy
18-03-06, 07:10
Thanks Piglet for the advice, strangely (or not?) I find Ii'm more worried about yoga than other exercise!!! I don't like bending over when I feel dizzy and when I lie down all I can feel is my heart thudding!! I find it hard to switch my mind off. I spoke to CBT fella and I felt 'strange' because my body wasn't used to relaxing, which is probably true as I seem to be in overdrive all the time. Like you say, I guess it is something I have to work at slowly and build up gradually!
Thanks
Love Helen

lfb
18-03-06, 14:28
i done a litlle programme for you hun....

(i work as a personal traininer so am not just making the programme up)

walk for 5-10+ fast walk min out doors

step ups (all you need to do it walk up and down one step (if you got stair that would be help full.)do this for 2min...

bicep curl (use a weight.or a botlle of wate) movement hold botlle in hands..and flex arm (up to shoulder) and back down again..keeping you back straigth..

sit to stand.... (sit on a chair and stand up do this 15 time with out useing you hands)

sit ups.... do 10+ (do not do these if you are Pg, or have just giving birth)

and repeat thsi 2time..... but not the walking you just add more time on to the wrlking...

always loved never fotgotten..
www.justgiving.com/kylefaldborggraham

giddy
18-03-06, 16:57
Thanks so much for the workout programme - I'll give it a go!
Love Helen

Meg
18-03-06, 23:14
Hi Helen

When you're having an anxiety surge , you produce extra adrenalin and the best way of using it up is in brisk exercising.

Exercise - yes it does work (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7019)
panicky and anxious during exercise (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7514)

Exercise and panic attacks (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4768)
Why Exercise WORKS! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6628)
panicky and anxious during exercise (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7514)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

giddy
19-03-06, 17:25
thanks for the links Meg - found them very useful
Love Helen

andrew england 2
20-03-06, 11:02
giddy approach your GP there is a thing on the nhs called exercise on prescription - they will refer u to a local public gym and they will work out an exercise program for u - they also take ur BP and put a pulse rate monitor on u as u work out - look on it as taking a pill that u have to do 3 times a wk a pill u dont want to take and a pill that makes u feel worse to begin with like all pills and take a few wks to kick in before u get the benefits.

who knows u may end up running marathons :-)

lfb
20-03-06, 16:41
good advice i work as i Gp execise referral in torquay.....it relaly fab......and i know lots of poeple that have improved..... at the place were are work it cost £2.50 for an hour .....

always loved never fotgotten..
www.justgiving.com/kylefaldborggraham

giddy
20-03-06, 17:16
Thanks Andrew, I haven't heard of exercise on prescription. I'll look into it.
Love Helen