PDA

View Full Version : Benefits

freefee
16-11-10, 16:41
i have been on benefiits for several years due to physical health problems, a heart attack, and also for mental health reasons, social anxiety panic attacks and agoraphobia etc, i am worried that when i am called to have the medical assessment they are bringing in, that i wont be able to make it to the testing centre, if i do i will have to be accompanied by someone and take loads of valium, i have taken valium for over twenty years and i am now an addict, i get 1250 mg`s every 28 days, i need more, but my dr says i am allready on the highest dosage in my town, also worried about being forced to attend meetings at job centre and go for interviews for jobs, that i won`t get, all this will test my ability to control my valium, which is difficult allready, is anybody else in this position? or can give me any tips, i am not workshy, i would love to go back to work, but the frequent panic attacks make me a danger to myself and those around me, as i tend to punch out or throw things about, i don`t want to but i can`t help it, i don`t want to get into trouble with the law for having a panic attack, can anybody help? thanks in advance

Nigel H
16-11-10, 17:35
A novel idea for you...... why not get the root cause of the problem dealt with - then you will no longer require the valium and will feel more comfortable in leaving the house!

Whilst I put it somewhat light heartedly ... I do actually mean it. Get the problem dealt with before the requirements come in to play - then you can maybe even look forward to returning to work of some sort, as that appears to be what you want to do.

Nig

vicky23
16-11-10, 18:01
there has been a lots of threads about this recently people on benefits are understandably worried and media with all their talk of 'workshy' people certainly don't help! Because you have physical and mental issues that make it difficult to work does not make you workshy.
I can't really give you any advice on benefits because I'm as confused as the next person but I can sympathise. My only suggestion would be to ask your Doctor about other nonmedication therapys available that might help you like Cognitive behavioural therapy but even this is a difficult journey and there's no guarenteed sucess.You may have even tried it all before I don't know your situation.
I think I read that you can get home visits for medicals if your Doctor sends in a note that may help....
best wishes

freefee
16-11-10, 18:04
even if i could get to the root cause of my problems, it wouldn`t change the fact that i am seriously addicted to valium, and that would remain if the panic attacks disapeared tomorrow, which they won`t, also my dr has told me that because i have been on such a high dosage of valium for so long, there is no chance of me coming off them, and if i tried the anxiety etc would be even greater because my body is used to being sedated, i fear you don`t really understand my problem, othrwise you wouldn`t have left the reply you did, can someone please give me some practical advice?

paula lynne
16-11-10, 18:10
Tell the dept before you go you are agoraphobic, and you will need to be tranquilised. Im actually aghast your gp has px you this for 20 years, and the amount you take...how could they let you take more and more...its only supposed to be px for 6-8weeks!!
But, your post isnt about that so......I went last month for mine, and telephoned ahead to say I would need to be tranquillised, and bring my husband. They were fine about it. In extreme cases, you can be visited at home, so it might be worth checking if they can offer that to you.

Nigel H
16-11-10, 18:22
freefee - I'm sorry you misunderstood my intention.

Your body is used to being sedated yes ... because in the past it has needed to be. The whole point in dealing with a problem fully, is that you would no longer be creating the anxiety and your body would have no need for medication to deal with it. At that stage you could then start reducing your dosage, with medical input of course.

I don't believe there is a single drug that someone cannot come off, so long as they do it in the right way. Of course there has to be a correct method, when a body is used to a certain drug ... and I am sure that even your doctor would say it is physically possible for someone to come off valium ..... surely the Dr is not suggesting you are to remain on it for the rest of your life, even if you have your problems dealt with?

Believe me - I want the best for you - and I'm convinced that remaining on valium for the rest of your days is not the answer. That is why I suggest other possibilities.

All the best

freefee
16-11-10, 19:02
my dr has indeed told me i will be on valium for the rest of my life, because of the amount i take, to feel just half normal, he said it would take forever to come off valium so there is no point in trying, also as i said the anxiety would be magnified due to the lack of valium, i experience this now when i am running low at the end of the month, also there is no rehab programme for valium, when i was in hospital after my heart attack, a nurse gave me leaflets for drop in centres, they were all alcohol and heroin related, neither of which i have a problem with, i believe there are private rehab centres, but at a cost of £1000 a week and no promise of a cure at the end, well what can i say, i obviously can`t afford to go down that road, people who have no knowledge of valium addiction really don`t understand the situation

Nigel H
16-11-10, 19:59
You seem very resigned to this whole thing ..... and do not appear to be actually seeking to challenge what you have been told to fight for what you want.

Again I state that if you had your problem dealt with, then you would no longer require a drug to deal with the anxiety side of things. You would feel more 'normal' regardless and would also have removed all the limiting beliefs you hold about your capability for getting off the medication. If you don't actually believe that it's possible to make a change, then why would you try ..... and unfortunately, that appears to be the case.

I feel for you. I sincerely wish you luck in whatever direction you take.