PDA

View Full Version : Fainting from a panic attack

Kells81
16-11-10, 20:04
Hiya

I keep reading loads of threads saying you can't faint when having a panic attack because it makes your blood pressure so high but on 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' last night, Gillian had a panic attack and fainted.

Does this mean that you can faint when having a panic attack?:wacko:

LucyR
16-11-10, 20:45
That may not have been a regular panic attack as such, perhaps she suffers from low blood pressure or had not eaten properly before this.

TWEETIE
16-11-10, 20:46
that is what i was thinking.

blueangel
16-11-10, 20:54
That's a distinct possibility, I would have thought. I haven't watched this programme for years (as it makes me squirm, I'm afraid) but I thought one of the ideas of it was that they limit the amount of food the contestants get? Therefore someone who is hungry and very hot would be more likely to faint (I know I would!)

shropshire_lad
16-11-10, 20:54
She didn't faint or have a panic attack, if you noticed she managed to pull her vest down "while out cold" to preserve her dignity when it rose up her tummy...

She was play acting and somewhat rather poorly, I'm suprised people are taken in by her... She'll be addressing herself as a doctor again before too long.

She's a phoney through and through....

Kells81
16-11-10, 21:02
Thanks for the replies, I did think that she might be faking as I thought that it was unlikely she would faint.
It drives me mad when celebrities say they are having panic attacks etc when infact they are just doing it for attention.

paula lynne
16-11-10, 21:37
That was absolutely not a panic attack that gillian makeith had, just ridiculous. Makes me so mad, hope she has one for real one day, it will serve her right, then she might stop bandying it around like its some sort of joke.
Pathetic slack knackered old witch (as a very funny man on here likes to say!) hahaha x

mandie
17-11-10, 09:54
That was no panic attack. She was exagerating for attention again

God that woman really winds me up :mad:

Anxious_gal
17-11-10, 11:28
I googled! opps......
well every one is saying she faked it!
I'd hate to think she did...... watched it on youtube and it looks like was faint n lightheaded from hyperventalting.
she didnt appear to actually lose consciousness, its pretty hard to faint if your lying down!

debs71
17-11-10, 14:10
I´m very confused about this subject as I have twice fainted through panic and anxiety and the first time when at work in the hospital where my blood pressure measured 70/40 (low) and yet my understanding is that panic causes your BP to rise, not drop.

I also wonder how much is down to hyperventilaion when panicking which causes the fainting spell.

All I know is I HATE IT as every time I have a panic attack I feel I will faint.:mad:

Ambers
17-11-10, 14:11
I didn't watch - but have always worried about fainting and panic attacks. I fear this most... well and needing the loo too.

I do have naturally low blood pressure - and have fainted many times usually when I am slightly unwell. So I really really worry about fainting with PA. I really hope this is not the case :(

Kells81
17-11-10, 14:45
There is an article in the Sun today saying that she must have been faking and she is doing it for attention so I think we can safely ignore her version of a panic attack!

jaded jean
17-11-10, 14:46
Hi just googled it it and Dr Hilary mentioned what it was Its Vasovagel syncope- when the blood supply to the brain is cut short- generaly bought on by anxiety /stress if that helps the person can 'gently collapse'. so she was aware of what was happening- apart from the fact what the hell is that McKeith woman doing out there -she must have known what goes on for goodness sakes:shades:

Lou31
17-11-10, 16:16
The woman's an absolutely moran. I can understand why Britt's losing patience with her already. Why anyone with the amount of phobias she has would go into the jungle is beyond me! :doh:

Martin Burridge
17-11-10, 17:43
Other medical reasons aside fainting is caused by low blood pressure. Most panic attacks associated with anxiety disorder and phobias cause the blood pressure to rise and the dizziness is caused by shallow breathing.
The exception is haemophobia where blood pressure can actually drop. This can include needle phobia (often linked to haemophobia) which is why you may remember people passing out in the queue for a BCG in school.