PDA

View Full Version : From Prozac to Mirtazapine - Advice Please!

mizfiesta
19-11-10, 12:10
Sorry if this post is a tad long but I really need some advice! I have suffered bouts of moderate depression for years and have been taking 20mg of Prozac daily for around ten years, give or take.
A couple of months ago, due to an ongoing period of stress, I got really depressed while still taking my 20mg Prozac. I was beginning to notice over time that I would have low periods but thankfully they never lasted more than a few days. Maybe the Prozac not working effectively for me anymore after such a long time taking it?
Anyway this recent bout of depression, my worst for years, meant I was too ill to cope with work so I have been off sick since the start of September. The doctor advised me to start taking a double dose of Prozac, so I started taking two 20mg tablets a day and waited on them working. I was very confident that after six weeks or so I would be well on my road to recovery as they had worked soo well the very first time I ever took the 20mg dose, all those years back.
Anyway, fast forward around 8 weeks and one failed attempt to go back to work - they had made no marked difference. Maybe my mood stabilised very slightly but my sleep became more difficult and I felt more 'jittery', 'on edge' and nervous. My mind raced continually. Was this the depression or was it the increased dose of Prozac? I have no clue.
I went back to my doctor around two weeks ago (I've been seeing her recently while she monitors my mood) and explained I still didn't feel well and certainly not well enough to return to work. My absence from work is a worry, naturally, as the local authority I work for are struggling financially are are making cut backs left, right and centre.
The doctor suggested we try another medication and gave me a prescription for Mirtazapine. Firstly though I was to reduce my Procaz intake. For the first week I was to cut down my Prozac from 40mg to 20mg daily. Then the second week (where I'm at now) I was to take a 20mg Prozac pill every SECOND day. I am due to start the Mirtazapine on Tuesday 23rd November.

This is where my dillema begins! The past few days, for no apparent reason I have started to feel a bit better! And I'm only taking 20mg of Prozac every second day! I was expecting my mood to plummet while I reduced my Prozac to start Mirtazapine and was a bit scared - but the opposite is true! I'm sleeping a bit better and feel quite good and my mood is the best it's been in weeks. What's going on?! I now don't know whether to start the Mirtazapine or not?! Should I just continue with the 20mg of Prozac every other day till I figure this out? I don't want to get lulled into a false sense of security. Maybe my dark cloud is waiting round the corner and is going to consume me tomorrow or the next day? I am confused! I need to get back to work before I lose my job so should I just start the 15mg Mirtazapine daily to enable me to do that - just in case? I know it will certainly help me sleep etc but I also know that along with every medication comes the usual side effects. Would it be crazy for me to try and go drug free and risk crashing at the first sign of stress at work for example? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Carly Lou
19-11-10, 12:53
Helllooooo xxx
well i havent been on prozac but i was on sertraline for a few weeks and im not joking i felt terrible, i was so so sick and lost so much weight... so a doctor ( who wasnt my normal gp) put me on mirtazapine... Now i know everyone is different but Mirtazapine has helped me sooo much, within the first 2 days i felt normal... the only thing is i was sooo sleepy and within taking a mirt i was sleeping half hour later... i am only on 15 mg x1 daily... the thing is, if you only take the prozac every other day you might have a blip and have all the dep and anx... id suggest to try and start the mirt... if your not happy then you can always stop, but mirt helped me so so much, i feel my normal self and i have only been on it a month and thats all... i have diazapan if i really really need it... but havent taken any of that for over 3 weeks, i had no other side effects other than the sleepiness and a increased appetite... i put on 6lbs oops teehee but have lost it now... let me know how you get on...
mirtazapine was a life saver for me... i was in a very dark place and was exhusted and so sick with my anxiety and dep
im the old me now :-) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
good luck xxx wish you all the best with it xxxx
pm me anytime
or.... if you are a facebook nutt..... carly louise rymes is my name. xxx

mizfiesta
19-11-10, 13:49
Thanks Carly, your reply has definitely helped. I've nothing to lose by trying the Mirtazapine. I'm very suspicous of my new mood. It would be soo good to think of being able to maintain this mood drug free - but I know deep down that it's only a matter of time before my mood dips to some extent x