PDA

View Full Version : bad cough, makin me panic. any remedies?

miss_moose
20-11-10, 00:46
I started with a cold last weekend, most of the symptoms have gone but i have a horrid cough. its making me panic because im contantly coughing and its making me feel ill.
i'm spending the next 2 nights alone as my fiance is working so i wont have anyone to comfort me, he was working days today and i had to get him to ring me because i was crying and feelig sick with the cough and cattarh.

I'm taking buttercup syrup but its not working. if anyone has any ideas on how to ease the coughing, or cattarh in my throat, it woud be really appreciated.

thank you xxx

suzy-sue
20-11-10, 01:14
Olbas /oil gets rid of cattarh .Put some drops in a tissue and breathe in .Steam will also help .You can also buy cattarh pastilles .I dont think much to cough medicine .But you need an expectorant if its bad .It will help you cough it up ..Hope you feel better soon ..Sue x

miss_moose
20-11-10, 01:18
Thank you. I have some Vicks vapour rub, not tried it on my chest yet though.
What does you mean by " you need an expectorant if its bad"

xx

Going home
20-11-10, 01:34
If you get a cough when you have a cold the cough is usually the last thing to go. This happens to my daughter every time she has a cold, and has done since she was a little girl. Is this the first time you've had a cough with a cold? The doctors don't usually prescribe anything and say its better just to wait until it clears itself as i'm sure it will eventually...takes longer if you're a smoker mind you. As Sue says, there are medicines in the shops to maybe ease it but mostly you just have to wait it out, its not serious.

Anna xx

countrygirl
20-11-10, 08:56
Expectorant just means something to expel mucus from your throat lungs etc - you can buy expectorant cough medicine that is supposed to loosen the mucus so you can cough it up easier. Breathing over a bowl of hot water so you are taking in the steam has same effect and is cheaper!

I always always cough for weeks and weeks after having a cold- the worst of the cough with me takes about two weeks to start getting better but it will annoy me for about 6 weeks.

shaggyowen
20-11-10, 09:00
nice hot shower/bath =]

Kerry B
20-11-10, 09:08
Hiya I always take Pholcodine Lintus you can by it from the pharmacy and it costs about £2.00 - 3.00 but it will stop you from coughing. There is nothing worse than cough, cough, cough all the time. I had it really bad once and I even pulled a muscle in my back from all the coughing. Hope you feel better soon hunni x

Anxious_gal
20-11-10, 11:12
codeine helps, i noticed this when i took nurofin plus for my cold! you can get couch syrup with codeine in it. it really helps stop you from coughing.
it does have a sedative effect and you can't take it with certain medication.

Groundhog
20-11-10, 11:24
I will stand corrected but at one time it was widely thought by docs that cough meds were a waste of money. I think I’m also right in saying that hospitals won’t use them on wards either. Yes they will sometimes suggest or prescribe an expectorant to shift the mucus which in turn will ease a cough, particularly if you are a smoker. Medical professionals have always told me to sip iced water and I believe this is the action taken in a lot of hospitals.