PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawal from mirtazipine...any advice?

JT69
20-11-10, 13:27
Hi,

I have been taking mirtazipine for 11 months now and soon want to come off them. I started on 15m went to 30mg and then reduced to 15mg around 8 weeks ago.

Previously took citalopram and knew how to come off that without having any side effects, I did this by reducing down very slowly...I just wondered if anyone has successfully come off mirtazipine with no side effects etc and the best way to do it???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jo..xx

ElizabethJane
21-11-10, 15:17
Hi,

I have been taking mirtazipine for 11 months now and soon want to come off them. I started on 15m went to 30mg and then reduced to 15mg around 8 weeks ago.

Previously took citalopram and knew how to come off that without having any side effects, I did this by reducing down very slowly...I just wondered if anyone has successfully come off mirtazipine with no side effects etc and the best way to do it???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jo..xx
Hi there Jo. I'm glad that you feel well enough to come off the mirt.The part of your post that worries me slightly is the bit that says 'with no side effects' My experience is this: I have come off mirtazapine twice. Both times with horrendous side effects. The first time was rather too quickly and I suffered all manner of severe panic attacks, hallucinations and insommnia. I was so bad that my GP put me back on them again. The second time I tapered down really slowly and used diazepan to lessen the panic attacks which were very bad. This went on for about three weeks until I was 'clean' free from the drug. Hopefully you will not have such a rocky ride as I did. Sometimes the side effects will make you feel that it is the old illness returning. I would question this. You have to remain strong it probably wont be easy. I'm sorry that I have to write a post like this. Post as much as you need and hopefully your withdrawal will be easy. EJ.

JT69
25-11-10, 17:41
Hi EJ,

Thanks for your advice...I thought that you had come off them before and had problems....do you think I should cut the 15mg in half and take that for a while and then reduce again?? Is that the best way?? Its a whole new ball game for me as being on citalopram for such a long time I knew how to taper down on that and managed it without withdrawal effects on a number of occasions...it was only when I swopped to mirt in 1 week that I suffered horrendous effects and with the side effects of first taking mirtazipine on top as well...you can imagine!!!

And dont worry about anything you write in the post as I would rather know then not if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your support and help.

I hope you are doing well.

Jo.xx

ElizabethJane
26-11-10, 22:11
Hi Jo I think that the key is here to do it very very slowly. I think that you can get 7.5mg tablets. It is worth remembering that if you start to suffer from panic and anxiety that it is the withdrawals from the mirt and not the old illness returning. It is great to find you feeling so well and pregabalin working so well. I used diazepan the second time I withdrew form the mirt which were very helpful. At least they took the edge off the anxiety but I wasn't taking pregabalin as you are. My very best wishes on your journey to recovery. EJ.

suzy-sue
26-11-10, 23:22
Hi Jo I came off 15mg of Mirt and it made me very anxious /panicky ..Dr gave me Diaz to help with that .I would do it by half tab at a time and not decrease again until you start to feel ok again .Will take longer but will be less side effects that way .Good luck with it .Luv Sue x:hugs:

JoRo
27-11-10, 18:54
Hi Jo
I've been thinking about this, as my CBT counsellor has asked me to consider coming off Sertraline. I'm holding off until the Spring when the days are brighter and longer. Doctor once told me Winter was not a good time stop ADs.
Just a though you might want to consider this thought (along with all the others).
Take care.
Jo