PDA

View Full Version : Meningitis Fear

Genie
20-11-10, 16:31
I am 25 weeks pregnant and I suffer from really bad health anxiety. Being pregnant has made things worse because I know it lowers you immunity, and I am just terrified of getting sick.
I had a throat infection a couple of weeks ago, and today it is back - glands are up in my neck and my throat is really sore.
But I'm terrified it is something else - my husband is sick in bed with a fever and a bad cold/cough/headache. Last week, a student at the university where I work died of meningitis.
I am just terrified there is something terrible wrong with me and I am going to die. I can't stop panicking. I can't stop taking my temperature (normal, but creeping upwards from 36.8 this morning to 37.2 this afternoon).
If anyone can make me feel better, or just send me a hug, I'd really appreciate it. As the day goes on I can feel my fear getting worse, and I really don't think I can cope much longer.

Worry-wart
20-11-10, 16:37
You are FAR more likely to have what your husband has which sounds like the common cold. Glands will swell, you will get a fever.

Have some chicken soup and take the day off. :)

margaret jones
20-11-10, 16:43
Hi Genie Congratulations on your pregnancy ( when is the baby due ) ?? There are so many bugs around at the moment you say hubby poorly so probably caught it from him .
Try and Relax and get plenty of rest and keep up your fluid intake that will bring your temp down , I hope you soon feel better have a :hugs: there is that better ??

Groundhog
20-11-10, 17:24
Hi Genie
I can directly relate to your problem as it was the exact same thing that brought on my last anxiety attack a couple of months ago. We had a student die of meningitis at the secondary school I work at. A week later my son had a throat infection and headache this alone started my anxiety then one day my son said very mater of factly ‘my headache is worse now dad’. That was it I had a major attack- just could not function. My doc is very understanding she said that because of the death the world and his wife had been into the surgery at every little ache and pain – they expected it. But I don’t need to tell you meningitis is rare and the only people that have even an outside chance of catching it from a sufferer are very close family and friends.

You really have nothing to fear, easy for me to say I know but I say it as someone who has been there, you will be OK you just have what your husband has only he will of have it worse, he’s a man.:winks:

Is it OK for a man to give you one of these:bighug1:
In fact have two :hugs:

PanchoGoz
20-11-10, 18:15
Yeah there has been a case of menengitis at my college too. The student is at my bus stop as well! I think we get injected against it don't we..? You would feel really really ill if you had menengitis.

Genie
21-11-10, 14:17
Feeling just as terrified today because I found out that the Vitamin C I have been taking for my immune system (the only thing you can take when pregnant) I have to stop because of another drug I have to take. My rational mind tells me my husband just has flu, and I know it is so hard to catch meningitis, but I just feel so scared and can't stop crying.

So thanks for all the hugs - I don't think anyone in my family really understands, and it is just really comforting to know that you all do.

And yes, Groundhog, I think it is just fine for a man to give a girl hugs. And you sending two made me smile, which is quite something right now, so thank you.

JaneC
21-11-10, 14:24
:hugs: Genie. It's normal for your temperature to rise a little during the day. As Pancho says, you'd feel a lot worse if you had meningitis. It's just what happened to that poor student that's made you think about this. I'm sure. Hope you feel better soon x