PDA

View Full Version : Hi All

scottishally
20-11-10, 16:59
Hey everyone, I would like to intoduce myself. I am Allyson but most people call me Ally. I am 27 years old and I suffer from type one diabetes. I found out nearly 10 years ago, a month before my 18th birthday. I do not cope very well with it, i have been in and out of hospital 7 times in the past 3 years with DKA and it has left me partially sighted. I try and do things right, but I also suffer from depression from time to time and when my mood is low i with hold my insulin(it has taken me a long time to be able to admit to doing this). I try and promise myself and my family that the last time will me the last time. But it has been the last time 4 times already.
I am just looking to see if there is anyone else out there that finds it as much of a struggle to admit with things are bad and that they need help.

Well that is my wee sad story lol

I hope to hear from some people that understand that diabetes is hard because I dont actually know anyone else that suffers with diabetes and my friends just dont get it. They think that if i take me insulin everything will be fine and they dont understand why i dont take it at times.

nomorepanic
20-11-10, 17:00
Hi scottishally

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

mike83
20-11-10, 22:05
Hi Ally, Welcome
I'm 27 too and have diabetes, only type 2 though. I got diagnosed this year. I am just on metformin 2000mg a day, I have been taken off gliclazide 80mg recently as they said I was getting too low, but I don't really know how, I try to eat properly but it doesn't always work. I have also punished myself in some ways and still do sometimes. I struggle (not really with diabetes as much but other things) but don't often tell my parents as I don't want to upset them.

JJ76
20-11-10, 22:54
Hi Ally hope you get some use from the site have only been a member for 24 hours I have found lots of very good articles including the self harm one may be worth a look.

Vanilla Sky
20-11-10, 23:16
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

paula lynne
20-11-10, 23:27
Hi Ally, welcome aboard x:welcome:

scottishally
20-11-10, 23:59
Thank you all for the welcome it is very much appreciated :)

JaneC
21-11-10, 00:07
Hi Ally, :welcome:

Sorry to hear you are finding life tough (my dad had type 1 diabetes and I had a friend who did as well and really struggled with keeping himself well.

Do you mind me asking why you don't take your insulin when you are feeling low? x

scottishally
21-11-10, 00:09
No i dont mind at all, when i am feeling low, i just dont care about my health and eating. Normally when i stop taking my insulin i stop eating correctly if at all. And i do know what can happen but i just dont know why i do it.

JaneC
21-11-10, 00:41
I don't think you're alone Ally. I think there are quite a lot of diabetics who don't take care of themselves properly. Sometimes I think it's a bit of a denial thing, although I;m not saying that's the case with you. Are you getting any help with this? Are antidepressants a possibility? Some counselling? x

paulst
21-11-10, 11:18
Hi ally, welcome to the forum, Im glad you found us.:)

scottishally
22-11-10, 18:56
I don't think you're alone Ally. I think there are quite a lot of diabetics who don't take care of themselves properly. Sometimes I think it's a bit of a denial thing, although I;m not saying that's the case with you. Are you getting any help with this? Are antidepressants a possibility? Some counselling? x

I have been on antidepressants before but i didnt like the way that they made me feel, and i do see a counsellor but that is really for other things that have happened in the past.
I am doing ok just now but i have been the same before i will be ok for months then hit a low and end up in hospital

margaret jones
22-11-10, 19:17
Hi Ali :welcome: to this great site sorry that you are feeling low at the moment hope you will soon feel better .
My hubby has type 1 Diabeties and he sometimes finds it hard to keep control of his blood sugars but together we do aim to keep trying , have you got someone who can help you cope ??? My Friends grandaughter is 5 also Type 1 but is ok whilst her parents are respobsible we hope she will cope when she is older and is responsible for her own insulin etc , hope you find lots of help on this site xx

scottishally
23-11-10, 20:49
Hi Margaret, I have my mum and sister who keep an eye on me, but as i live alone i find it easy to lose track of things. And i am quite good at kidding myself and others that i am fine, when really i am not!

margaret jones
23-11-10, 20:56
Hi Ali how are you feeling now ?? better i hope xx please look after yourself hun xx have you been in chatroom yet ??

Fly away Katie
23-11-10, 21:38
Hello and welcome to NMP x x x