PDA

View Full Version : how many of you feel like this has really worked for you

carla g
21-11-10, 11:44
hi everyone i am now on my 3rd week of being on these and im hopefully that they are going to work for me, i just wonderd if any of you could give me a few words on how cits have helpd you and wot percentage u would rate how you feel on them, im feeling around 40percent at the moment but iv had a bad week x

JJ76
21-11-10, 13:12
Have to say I am surprised the amount of people here that are on Cits- my own experience I would never touch them again- although I initially felt good on them it soon played havoc with my emotions/hormonally and to cut a long story short I took myself off them before the year was up and when I hit my next low and told my GP how I had felt on them I had an emergency appointment with the mental Health team. Now on no tabs and receiving CBT

carla g
21-11-10, 13:15
how long did were you on these untill you noticed that they wosent ryt for you x

carla g
21-11-10, 14:07
ye iv lookd over it a few times but im hearing so many mixd things about this drug that i dont no weather they are any help to me at all yet and when i should no i have got to the point where im back 2 myself as i dont really understand how mutch they are ment to help you x

JaneC
21-11-10, 14:08
Hi Carla, good advice from Aliison. My husband is on Cit and it works really well for him. Three weeks is still early days x

JaneC
21-11-10, 14:12
Posted at the same time as you, sorry. Personally I have found that ADs work on me sort of gradually rather than there being a eureka moment. In fact, last time I started fluoxetine, it was a case of kind of looking back over a few days and thinking, yes I'm feeling a bit better, rather than realising it at the time, if that makes sense. What dose are you on Carla? x

carla g
21-11-10, 14:13
when did he start to really notice the positive side of them im finding it hard as i have 3 young children and im just so tiyed all the time x

JaneC
21-11-10, 14:17
Sorry Carla, he can't really remember - he's been on them for a long time. For me last time with fluoxetine it was probably a couple of months tho x

carla g
21-11-10, 14:22
im on 20mg i started on this, i am feeling k but im just so tiyed all the time and have no energy to do anything, did this happen to you? im sure it will subside but i feel like it wount at the moment. x

carla g
21-11-10, 14:52
i take it around 12dinner i have thought about trying it at night but i sleep so well at the moment that i dont want to risk messing that up, i have told myself time and time again that it will take a few weeks and not to think il feel ok over night but its so hard not hopeing that it will happen that way as i hate feeling the way i do and just want my life back x

heavenly
21-11-10, 15:42
i take it around 12dinner i have thought about trying it at night but i sleep so well at the moment that i dont want to risk messing that up, i have told myself time and time again that it will take a few weeks and not to think il feel ok over night but its so hard not hopeing that it will happen that way as i hate feeling the way i do and just want my life back x

I know hun, I do understand. We started at the same time. The third week has seen a big improvement for me but it will be different for everyone, I do know that it can take up to 2 months, so just keep in touch with your GP, every 2 weeks or so and touch base with him/her so you can discuss the meds, the dosage and how you are feeling. xx

carla g
21-11-10, 15:47
im going to see my doc 2moz for my review i think im feeling abit more down because iv not been to well and going threw a bad week hopefully il be k next week with some help from the doc x

heavenly
22-11-10, 11:44
im going to see my doc 2moz for my review i think im feeling abit more down because iv not been to well and going threw a bad week hopefully il be k next week with some help from the doc x

Keep us posted. x

happycamper
22-11-10, 12:23
Hi Carla,

I'm always the bearer of positiveness when it comes to citalopram. Been on them 5 months now and they have been the best 5 months I've had in a few years. Unless it's a co-incidence I haven't experienced any of the horrid anxiety that I had been doing.

Not to say I feel I'm totally anxiety free but the numbing effect seems to keep it manageable and short lived. Also I now understand the importance of other stress reducing methods to strengthen the weakness in my mind and doing lots of reading up on ways such as mindfulness, relaxation etc. So fingers crossed I won't need to take them for too long.

Everyone is different but try and relax and go with the flow, give them a chance I'd say.

Clare X

carla g
22-11-10, 21:00
hi clare did u get any side effect from these? if so when did they start to pass my anxiety has got alot better but the side effects are getting to me now, i couldent go and c me doc 2day as he wos of ill so going back on wed so il post back then x

happycamper
22-11-10, 21:37
Hi Carla,

Yes I got side effects - fuzzy head like I'd been up all night even if I hadn't, that improved over 3 or 4 weeks, a bit of nausea but taking them after evening meal pretty much stopped that, restless nights for a while but much better now although still a bit of an annoyance and difficulty concentrating which has pretty much gone too.

I managed to work still and looked after my energetic sons although the 1st 2 or 3 weeks were a bit tough at times. But stuck them out and very glad I did.

Hope that's a little helpful for you. X

chickpea
22-11-10, 21:55
I've got really mixed feelings about citalopram.

I had truly horrendous side effects in the first few weeks - anxiety worse than anything I've ever experienced, no appetite, nausea, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't be left on my own...I actually wanted someone to knock me out and wake me up when it was all over.

Gradually, things got better - but i can't say whether that's because of the citalopram or because I worked really hard at other stress-busting techniques (hypnotherapy CD's, relaxation, self-help books etc).
Also, because the side effects were SO bad, once they'd passed the relief was so great, it's hard to say whether I was any better than I had been when I went on the tablets.:shrug:

I stayed on cit for about a year, until about 8 weeks ago.

I honestly don't know if I'd ever take citalopram again - I think anti d's definitely have their place, I'm just not sure they're for me.:unsure:

carla g
22-11-10, 22:06
Hi Carla,

Yes I got side effects - fuzzy head like I'd been up all night even if I hadn't, that improved over 3 or 4 weeks, a bit of nausea but taking them after evening meal pretty much stopped that, restless nights for a while but much better now although still a bit of an annoyance and difficulty concentrating which has pretty much gone too.

I managed to work still and looked after my energetic sons although the 1st 2 or 3 weeks were a bit tough at times. But stuck them out and very glad I did.

Hope that's a little helpful for you. X
i have all of them and im hopeing it will lift soon as i have 3 children that run me wild lol, iv just told myself to wait untill the 6 week mark and if im not feeling like they are working i might ask to up my dose and see if this help i am not half as bad with my anxiety just these side effects geting to me, i also have lost my concentration and i seem to have lost my memory since starting them which is confusing lol x

carla g
22-11-10, 22:08
I've got really mixed feelings about citalopram.

I had truly horrendous side effects in the first few weeks - anxiety worse than anything I've ever experienced, no appetite, nausea, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't be left on my own...I actually wanted someone to knock me out and wake me up when it was all over.

Gradually, things got better - but i can't say whether that's because of the citalopram or because I worked really hard at other stress-busting techniques (hypnotherapy CD's, relaxation, self-help books etc).
Also, because the side effects were SO bad, once they'd passed the relief was so great, it's hard to say whether I was any better than I had been when I went on the tablets.:shrug:

I stayed on cit for about a year, until about 8 weeks ago.

I honestly don't know if I'd ever take citalopram again - I think anti d's definitely have their place, I'm just not sure they're for me.:unsure:
i kind of no what you are saying i have wonderd if we only start to think we feel better on these because the first 2 weeks are so bad and you feel so mutch better after them that it feels asif you are getting some where x

trooper
22-11-10, 22:19
ye iv lookd over it a few times but im hearing so many mixd things about this drug that i dont no weather they are any help to me at all yet and when i should no i have got to the point where im back 2 myself as i dont really understand how mutch they are ment to help you x

Hi Carla, the mixed reviews are because everyone reacts differently to different drugs, and this can be said of every type of antidepressant and every brand.

There really isn't a perfect solution yet, or anything close to it, but there are new drugs in testing and hopefully they'll hit the streets sooner rather than later.

As you've probably read it does take time for you to adjust.

I'm quite good with them, the manic panic has stopped and I've been able to get through a very stressful time in my life.

I do get side effects, feeling tired etc. Have put on a bit of weight too. But generally speaking they have served a purpose to get me through a rough patch.

In the past I have taken seroxat which sent me mental and I wouldn't touch that again.

Its worth really giving it a good try before you judge if its working.

Best of Luck,

T

happycamper
22-11-10, 22:24
The thing I've found with taking cit is that I feel on an even plateau, I get through each day without those big attacks of anxiety/panic, just reading a newspaper article relevant to anything I was worried about could set me off in a major panic, that hasn't happened since taking the cit, so have put 2 and 2 together.

But they do make me feel permanently tired and not as clear headed as I was before. Pros and cons I guess, although I know the pros far out weight the cons for me, suppose it depends how much room for improvement there is - loads in my case, I don't ever want to be back in the place I was before, if you know what I mean?!

carla g
22-11-10, 22:29
im hopeing in a few weeks i will be abel to look back at this and no it wos the ryt thing to do i no everyone is diffrent and it does and doesent help some people how long would you all say i should leave it till untill i should be asking myself if these are ryt for me x

chickpea
23-11-10, 09:28
I would take them for at least 6 weeks and then see your GP to consider upping your dose if you still feel they're not doing enough for you.
You're going through the hardest bit so hang in there for a little longer.:hugs:

heavenly
23-11-10, 09:29
It has been 3 weeks for me and I do feel better than I did for the first 2 weeks, when I had heightened anxiety, waking mega early and no appetite. I feel ok, not sure if the Cit has kicked in fully yet but I feel ok and ok is fine with me!

carla g
23-11-10, 11:14
im goin to hang in their iv come so far already and i carnt feel any worse than i did b4 so hopefully il look back at this in a few week and be so happy that i stuck with them, i dont think i would of got so far if i dident find all of you im more happy in myself and being like this since i met u all thank you all for being hear, and heavenly im so happy your feeling k now as you have had a hard couple of weeks at least 1 of us are getin their youl haf2 keep us updated on how you feel thing are going x

heavenly
23-11-10, 16:14
heavenly im so happy your feeling k now as you have had a hard couple of weeks at least 1 of us are getin their youl haf2 keep us updated on how you feel thing are going x

Stick with it hun. xx

carla g
23-11-10, 19:18
im trying but its hard i wosent feeling the anxiety 2 mutch untill 2nyt and its all hit me again im not sure if it is a blip or a sign that i need to up? im back at the docs 2moz so will c what he says about it fingers crossed its a blip x

heavenly
24-11-10, 10:41
im trying but its hard i wosent feeling the anxiety 2 mutch untill 2nyt and its all hit me again im not sure if it is a blip or a sign that i need to up? im back at the docs 2moz so will c what he says about it fingers crossed its a blip x

Keep us posted. xx

carla g
24-11-10, 20:00
will do hun im still feeling anxiouse but not as bad as i have in th past im k during the day but when it gets around tea it starts to kick in, my health visitor came round 2day and she did a few tests with me and she is sure i have postnatal depression so im guessing this is were my anxiety has come from x