PDA

View Full Version : Shakey hands

MAT R
21-11-10, 19:23
Hi all, I'm new to the site, and stumbled across it whilst surfing the net.
For years now I have suffered with shakey hands particularly in social settings.

I'm pretty sure it started after I suffered from a flashback of a particularly bad acid trip that I suffered a couple of years earlier. What that experience did to my brain I don't know - but I know I'm not the same person. I think I may have suffered PTSD which could account for the shakey hands through anxiety. Anyway, I can't remember this problem before the flashback

I know you can get shakey hands due to anxiety or essential tremor and I'm trying to deduce through which mechanism I have it, personally I think it is anxiety.
It cause me all sorts of problems in situations - I can't make cups of tea in the office or accept drinks in a meeting.
When I'm on my own the shakiness is under control it's only a problem when others are around - why is this. For example I could relatively easily carry 2 pints of beer through my house when on my own, but would have all sorts of problems doing this when others are around particularly in a bar etc. I think it must be due to the nervousness/fear of spilling it
Also, when I've had a couple of drinks (alcoholic) the shakes completely go away and my hands are rock steady - why is this, does it mean that the anxiety means there is a problem with my Central Nervous system, which alcohol generally relaxes.
I also noticed that after I ran a marathon and my brain was full of endorphins I didn't have shakey hands.
So I think I must be suffering from severe anxiety. I have suffered a couple of nervous breakdowns over the last couple of years and I often twitch or jump a lot in my sleep - certainly more so than when i was younger or more than others. I'm extremely easily startled and am likely to jump if somebody shouts boo.

I really want to get hold of this as it is ruining my life, trying to meet a girl on a date becomes particularly problematic as at some point it will be obvious that something is not quite right.

My GP has given my anidepressants in the past and although these sort of make you feel better in the short term they don't seem to affect the shakes.

I would love to here any advice you guys out there might have - I wish, wish this would go away.

Kind Regards
Mat

yvonne_uk_98
21-11-10, 21:47
Hi Mat,

Sorry to hear your having a rotten time with your shaky hands and being anxious. Have you tried relaxation cd's this may help. Maybe help, you to relax, your hands may be less shaky. its only a suggestion.

I have the same problem shaky hands, though I do not let this stop me from helping out at the senior citizens lunch club, though when I pick up a cup and saucer, I separate them so that I can carry the with out the rattle, which drives me round the bend.

I think we get a bit nervous when we are in company then anxiety kicks in, which may cause our hands to be more shaky. I have had mines checked. that what my gp says to me.

I hope you find a way to help you cope with having shaky hands. there are ways you can cope with this.

Yvonne

paula lynne
21-11-10, 22:49
Just wanted to say a belated welcome to you x:welcome:

ElizabethJane
23-11-10, 18:05
I have read somewhere that shaky hands might be due to a condition called 'essential tremor' This is not caused by anxiety or by social situations. An alcoholic drink can improve matters! It can run in families apparantly. GPs usually prescribe beta blockers which will help matters. I know someone (a lay reader at our church ) and he has to grip the chalice very hard when administering at communion. Are you on any meds that could cause the shake?. Lithium can do it ( I am on it) usually when I'm dehydrated. EJ.

nok_tok
24-11-10, 07:31
i get very shakey hands with anxity, so much so i smashed a glass of water on the floor at 4am this morning..just felt like crying..:(

clebear
24-11-10, 10:43
i also suffer with shaky hands and also my palms sweat, but when i drink alcohol the shakiness leaves which i also don't understand ??? was even considering becoming an alcoholic just to get rid of this feeling but i don't think i could do it, but it makes me feel better......

hopefulgyrl
24-11-10, 23:37
I jump when i hear noises,exspecially loud noises. If someone yells, talks loud,drops something,etc... I get nervous and jump.....very embarrsing......i hate having social anxiety

maksicat
03-12-10, 18:01
Hi,

I was actually diagnosed with both Essential Tremour, and Ortheostatic Tremour in my legs.
Firstly, i can tell you that alcohol is a partial, imperfect and temporary "cure" for tremours because it dulls down the part of the brain that is responsible for your tremours! My neurologist confirmed this herself when i asked about the effects of alcohol!
Anxiety makes Essential Tremour MUCH worse, it aggravates the condition.

The main test for Essential Tremour by doctors i met was a writing test - they would make me write sentences on a blank sheet of paper. Apparently, alot can be told from hand muscles simply by looking at your writing and how you hold the pen.

My Essential Tremour is at its worst after a heavy drinking session.... the next day, my hand muscles will be stiff, very sore and feel like my hand is in a fridge, my muscles feel very cold.