PDA

View Full Version : Is it really dangerous to stop Beta Blockers?

benjamin222
21-11-10, 21:22
Ran out of my propraolol yesterday and wont be able to get more until tomorrow, just worried sick about the physical symptoms I'm going through now. Anyone have experience stopping a beta blocker over night? Any issues? I'm really worried I'm about to have a heart attack, the pressure on my chest is awful coupled with sharp pains and difficulty breathing.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/propranolol-tablets.html

I read this page and now I'm freaking out!!

cthechick84
21-11-10, 22:20
im on a different beta blocker too you but when i stopped mine i had those horrible palpatations and very fast heart beat not saying this is what will happen to you soo dnt worry as long as u relax u shud b fine, my beta blocekrs have to b taken once or twice aday and they r the prolonged realse which means they are in the system longer so may make it worse to stop them just like that. make sure you go docs first thing and if you do wanna conme off them ask your doctor.i stopped mine because i kept feeling lightheaded but id wudnt do it again becos it made me feel awful im gonna taper off mine slowly .im on bisoprolol twice a day 2.5mg.like i said they could give you palpatations horrible as they are but u wont have a heart attack tahts only if ur taking the beta blockers for a b ad heart that it cud do that becos u need them .but if ur on them for anxiety and panic attack symptoms u will be ok i promise.sorry your feeling worried its horrible i make sure my docs give me my beta blockers in bulk now cos before they was only giving me 20 tabs lasting me like a week taking them twice aday.cnt u try and ring out of hours docs and get a prescription for them anyway?not sure how ur doctors office works but some places r open at weekends.u cud try it.chin up best wishes c.xxxx

Electric_Worry
21-11-10, 22:34
I've been taking 80mg slow-release Propranolol for around three months now, however I did speak to my doctor more recently regarding stopping them. He said that because I was taking them due to anxiety and not because of a heart problem/high blood pressure, I will be able to stop them when I feel I'm ready. Personally I may go back and ask if I can have my dose lowered as I'm not entirely confident of going cold turkey yet.

The website does say sometimes, which I'm sure relates to rare instances where this has happened and mainly so with people who have heart disease. As for going 48 hours or so without, you may have a few unpleasant symptoms, but you're unlikely to suffer anything serious. If it's any consolation, I get chest pain and feel out of breath whilst I'm on the medication.

Try to relax and keep calm, and take your next dose as soon as you can.

PokerFace
22-11-10, 06:01
I've ran out of mine too. I had 1 tablet on Sat and realised it was my last one! Gotta ring docs today, not really noticed anything except my heart beating much harder. I'm not gonna read that page though if it's gonna set me off which probs will! x