PDA

View Full Version : type one diabetes

fifegal25
22-11-10, 03:13
:welcome: to my topic which is about type one diabetes .if any one .i have been diabetic since the age of 9 i am now 26 i am insulin dependant which means i have to take my own insulin by injection.i have had a 2 hypos to.so if u need to know anything about any part of type one diabetes feel free to ask me and i will do my best to help u .:D

ThunderBolt
29-12-10, 19:51
Hiya fifegal.

Similar position as yourself. Apart from the 2 hypos. By 'eck, I don't count anymore. So if I cN HELP IN ANY WAY GIVE US A NOD! So long as it's not a typing job, heheh!

I've got 30 years under my belt and had a dabble with everything from glass syringes to insulin pumps, pens to placky syringes. And fizzy speckled tablets that used to burn like (feel free to choose your favourite swear word). I can sertainly tell you what not to do as my current state would show.

All the best.

Cheers

haynsey
20-05-11, 22:51
:bighug1:Hiya,
my husband Rob has been insulin dependent for 7years and 2years ago had a heart attack he is 55years old, could you tell me how many times you test with your kit aday? And yes he has had many hypos even as low 2.1!!

ThunderBolt
21-05-11, 15:48
Hiya Haynsey.

All depends on how you run it really. I was testing before every meal and adjusting insulin to suit while I was on the pen. Now I'm on a pump I probably do a few more. Always worth doing one before bed as well.

Hope all goes well anyroad.

haynsey
24-06-11, 20:38
Thx for reply

ThunderBolt
27-06-11, 01:54
No proble
If I can stop just one person from being the total pranny that I've been then it's a result in my book.

PumpkinPie
06-07-11, 23:18
Hi all,
I've just found this site this week and thought I'd let you know that I have Type 1 diabetes too - had it for about 25 years from childhood. I struggle controlling it alongside my anxiety & depression so it's good to know there's some others on here that may have similar issues.

I'm hoping to get on a DAFNE course later this year in the hope it will help me get things under control but I still worry that knowing more of what to do won't actually make me do it!

I'll try to answer any questions I can though - like ThunderBolt said, I have lots of experience in how NOT to do it!

haynsey
27-07-11, 00:06
Hi thunderbolt, just wandering how are you getting on? I hope the diabetes is under control?:hugs:

ThunderBolt
28-07-11, 08:44
Cheers Haynsey.

Control wise things are pretty good. In fact they're next to ace compared with what they were. Still no hypo signs but the results of 23mmol have all but gone. In fact I can only remember a handful of +15's since going back on a pump and they were down to missed hypo's during the night. Latest HBC was 6!

I've said many a time I don't pin a lot on that test, but if I'm not having as many highs then I must be having THAT many lows either... Praise be to the pump!?!

Unfortunately I can't say the same for the effects of years of abuse, laziness and down right daftness. Stupidity even. Eyes, feet, probably kidneys. These are probably the main casualties of my •••• head years and won't get better.

I'll not go too deep into this just now as I went to see someone a few weeks ago and it was suggested that I might be going a bit overboard with things in this area. Concentrating on the bad side a bit too much. They reckon that could be dragging me down a bit so told me to take a step back. Makes sense, but it's frustrating when you want to get things off your chest and can't just talk it out with someone. I believe the saying is "Six of one, half dozen the other" and it's a true saying. I never tell the whole story anyway so perhaps it's for the best.

I'm slipping here now so I'll shut up about that particular subject (for now), but regardless to say... Please please don't be the divert I've been. It's not that hard to look after. It's even easier now with the support on offer, both from the medical staff to other diabetics. And of course the interwobble!

One such support is as mentioned above, the DAFNE course. It's well well worth a week out of anyone's time. Just remember that if you've been diabetic long enough and sussed out certain aspects, don't be railroaded. Be open minded as you can, but as they'll no doubt tell you on the course "Nobody knows their body better than the body owner" and then say you're going wrong. They're usually right but certain things don't fit all so don't be scared to question what they say. They're a decent bunch on a whole. The biggest thing for me was the carb counting. I had my own method which I'd used for yonks but having switched to the official method, I seem to have forgotten my own. I'm using scales for the first time in 20+ years. That's not a step forward in my book.

I still believe it's more suited to diabetics diagnosed within say the past 4-5 years before they get their own ways and habits. But by no means would I pass it up if I was asked again.

All the best folks. Do as I say, not as I do. And certainly not as I did!

haynsey
24-08-11, 01:04
Hi Thunderbolt,
Glad your levels are better!!
Rob also has abused his diabetes in the past, but after his heart attack and changing his insulin the levels have dropped below 9mmol.
I hope you are well..xx:)