PDA

View Full Version : breast cancer worries please help

constantworrier418
22-11-10, 17:02
i'm having a panic at the moment - i'm trying desperately to get out of the cycle of asking for reassurance but i never seem to get anywhere. i thought i'd come on here and write about as it keeps me occupied but i feel sick to my stomach. my main worry is breast cancer, two weeks ago i had my breasts examined by a breast consultant (he only did a physical examination) yet despite no lumps being found i'm still having moments where i think i sense a lump - this sounds pretty daft but as i'm actively not touching my boobs as i know it will be never ending but every now and then i get this sense of something being in my boob and i get into a real panic which only gets better if i'm around my mum, sister or partner as i can ask them to check and therefor reassure me. I find i'm at my worst when like tonight i'm on my own and i don't have my back up and i just don't know what to do with myself. Does anyone know if cancer can appear in two weeks? I'm trying to resist the urge to check any help/reassurance would be greatly appreciated :weep:

apologies for typo i'm holding my baby at same time as typing

flatterycat
22-11-10, 17:14
Hi there.
I know how you are feeling. I haven't slept or eaten all weekend worrying about my boobs. I saw a consultant today and everything fine but my anxiety is still high! I think there comes a time when we have to trust the professionals but it is so hard! How old is your baby? I have a 16 month old and my health anxiety has gotten worse since I had her. Maybe the lack of sleep and constant workload makes us even more susceptable. If the cons was happy I think you need to keep saying that to yourself. Like I said though, it is hard to believe anyone when anxious. X

constantworrier418
22-11-10, 17:39
my baby is five months old - i think having children has made me even worse - I keep thinking that a consultant would not have sent me on my way if there was anything to worry about my my HA is telling me there is something growing in your boobs and it hasn't been found and when it is it'll be too late - I just can't function without having either my mum, sister or partner around to reassure me but then as soon as they have something else comes along. How come you spend all weekend worrying - did you find a lump ?

flatterycat
22-11-10, 18:48
Ah that's a long one. Read my post entitled ,breast lumps which I posted on Saturday.
I'm still thinking all sorts despite being told all ok.you are still a very new mummy so that will have a massive effect on your anxiety levels. Think I am going to try and work on the ha somehow!
X

Humly
22-11-10, 19:08
Hi. Please be reassured as if there were any lumps to be found I'm sure the consultant would have found something. I know what its like constantly wanting reassurance that everything is ok as I am often like that myself. You just want to be 100% positive that you are ok but sometimes you just have to let things go.

I found a lump a few years ago and was referred to the hospital to have it checked out. I had to wait about 4 weeks for my appointment and instead of freaking out, I was strangely calm about things. I told myself that the lump was there, I couldn't do anything about it and if it turned out to be something bad, then it would be dealt with. Turned out to be a cyst. Docs told me to check every now and then but not to become obsessive about it. If you have no lumps or other symptoms then try and relax. I know this is easier said than done. Wish I could take my own advice lol!

I hope you are feeling better.

happycamper
22-11-10, 19:28
Hey guys,

I've so been where you are now constantworrier, since my mum got diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months before my 2nd child was born 4 years ago I quickly developed an obsessive worry/anxiety that I would get it and leave my sons motherless. Went to see the GP for breast checks more than once, I couldn't rationally differentiate between normal lumpiness and anything that may be concerning and it took over my mind and made me pretty miserable.

However I've had a 5 month freedom from the horrible anxiety since admitting it, starting on citalopram and trying everything in the book to sort my head out. Now I can confidently have a feel and know they felt the same as the last time! I really hope that confidence lasts cos don't ever want to go back again.

Hope you're feeling better about it quickly chuck. X

amandy1979
29-11-10, 17:44
Hi
I can understand how anxious you must feel i have an anxiety problem with breast cancer, i am constantly checking worrying, thinking i can feel something and then i think its gone. When i think everything looks okay then it doesnt, its horrible. I try to do some cardmaking to take my mind of it but lately its hard to concentrate on it. I think the dr google makes it worse for me too as i cant stop looking things up.