PDA

View Full Version : Ectopics/Acid Reflux/Thyroid.... arrgghh

Ducky85
22-11-10, 17:45
Hi all,
First attempt at a thread here, after reading many and like many have at last found a place where I do not feel so alone. I have found so much usefull information so far from you all but I wanted to throw in my experiences to see if anyone can shed some light on my dilemma.......(will try and keep this short)...

3 months ago i had my very first panic attack.... was just drifting off to sleep then BAM... heart racing so so fast like it was going to escape my chest had to jump out of bed it scared me so much and started to pace to calm myself down... wasnt working. Then began the familiar story of the trip to A&E... ECG.... told was fine (didn't feel anything untoward happening when it was taken as by that time it had passed). I was given diazepam and told to go home. Next day the GP put me on Escitalopram and Omeprazole (as i also had bad acid). Well..... a few days later and i was seeing things, hearing things, couldn't stop twitching (always had to move... a foot... a hand) I had some diazepam one evening and ended up back in A&E worse than the first time. Anyway... I was advised to stop the meds... so i did. I felt back to how i did before... me, only with funny heartbeats and acid.
I have since had 3 further panic attacks, ectopic beats everyday, multiple times, which i have deduced are triggered by stress, anxiety and mild excercise (think this is due to anticipation of ectopics as feel heartbeat stronger) also worse around the time of menstruation and when having acid relfux.
My dilemma, if anyone has any information/experience about it... 6 years ago i had a partial thyroidectomy and bloodtests over the years showed i did not need thyroxine, however, my latest test (together with all the thyroid related symptoms which i shan't bore you with) shows that i am Hypothyroid..... my doctor states that with thyroxine my heart rate can increase and cause palpitations.... she offered me beta blockers for the anxiety ectopics/rate.... i am thinking about my options.....

I am due to see a cardiologist the end on next month to discuss the findings of a 5 day event recorder with only showed sinus tachycardia and ectopics, he was just concerned about symptoms i get with it. My ectopics seem to be getting worse.... Do i suck it up and get on the beta blockers before seeing the cardiologist as opposed to tackling the anxiety non-medicated?? Do i accept i need to take thyroxine which in turn will make my heartrate increase and give me more palpitations????
Anyone who can offer some wise, they will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and anyone who also has ectopic issues around menstruation.... I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and im currently waiting for hormone test results... does anyone know of a correlation??

Many thanks Ducky xxx:hugs:

dodo
22-11-10, 18:33
I certainly know that thyroid causes palpitations and anxiety which is why it's one of the blood tests they do when you present for the first time.

Your tests were normal so you can take something from that but lots of people get symptoms with their palps so not sure what he's looking for there.

Ducky85
22-11-10, 19:51
Me neither, although it would be nice to see him just to hear it from a cardiologist that it's not my heart or an underlying heart problem causing it, typical anxiety not believing it however many times you're told. Still, i'm hoping he will have some good news for me at christmas, even if iim taking contradicting drugs, one speeds up my heart the other slows it down.... if it does the trick, bonus.
Thanks for your reply :)