PDA

View Full Version : Scared of being sick

CHEZ1
17-03-06, 17:16
Hi

I have emetophobia, I hate it when others including myself being sick.

I have food poisoning at the moment, which is one of my worst fears. Even tho I am over the worst of it now, I am that worried about being sick again I havnt eaten for nearly 24 hrs, all I dare to have is tiny little sips of water. I am 25 now and up until yesterday I hadnt been sick for 10 years. All I can do is panic. Please help..[^]

Karen
17-03-06, 21:03
Hi Chez1

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are feeling ill at present, particularly as your fear is emetophobia. You are certainly not alone with this.

Have a read of some of these other posts which could be helpful:

EXPOSURE THERAPY... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2712)
To Emetophobia sufferers (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2253)
1st day CBT exposure for emetaphobia = scary (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4930)
A visit to the Doctors (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5503)
CBT for emetophobia my experiences... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5998)
Emetaphobia 101 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7053)

Also these posts:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Have you had any treatment to date?

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

nomorepanic
17-03-06, 21:14
Hi and welcome aboard.

You are not alone with this worry atall so read the posts that Karen has provided.

Nicola

kamojamo
23-03-06, 10:41
Geeze, if only there were more people like you folks in the world! Hey, try reading some of my reasearch titled 'what you can do for yourself' it's in the phobias section. thanks for putting these things up. it's helped me if no-one else. [^]

clairenewman
08-04-06, 19:02
Hi everyone,

I have emetophobia and have done all my life. It has always caused me lots of problems but has got considerably worse since I had my first child 6 years ago. I am terrfied of him coming home from school telling me that one of his friends has been sick, spending all my time worrying is he going to be. Everytime one of my children is sick I cant be in the same room and if its at night time I end up sleeping down stairs! I am seeing a counsillor at the mo but don't really know how much good its actually doing. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Could anyone tell me about the exposure therapy for phobias.

Thanks v much

Claire x

mjh74
10-04-06, 09:40
Hi Claire,

I have been through exposure therapy for emetophobia. I finished about 3 months ago and found it very beneficial. Some of it was very hard....

I've suffered from emetophobia since I was 6 years old, I'm now 31.

The start of the therapy involved looking at black and white pictures of vomit, very small pictures. The next came bigger black and white pictures and I had to talk about them and describe the vomit in detail. Next was the same pictures in colour and then in colour and large. The next was pictures of people vomittingi n black and white following the same principle as above. Then came the video time. I had to watch a video of people vomitting which I found REALLY tough. I battled through it though and managed to watch it bit by bit until it didn't freak me. The last option was to make myself vomit in the session and then for a member of staff to make themselves vomit infront of me but I didn't do those 2 parts. Oh... I also made fake vomit and poured it down the toilet in one session too. It's amazing how real that seems too.

After spending so many weeks being bombarded by vomit related literature, it kind of "dampened" the fear down somewhat and made it feel less petrifying and somehow relatively normal!

Hope this helps!

Mark

clairenewman
10-04-06, 18:08
Hi Mark

Thanks very much for telling me about the therapy process, I understand it a bit more now! Could you tell me how you found out about the exposure therapy and is it only qualified therapists who deal with this or is it something all therapists could do?
I am seeing a therapist at the moment and he has never mentioned this sort of therapy before, he may never have heard about it!

Glad it has helped you in some way.

Thanks again

Claire

mjh74
10-04-06, 19:55
Hi Claire,

No problem!
I saw an OCD therapist for it. Apparently one of her collegues was handling another woman with emetophobia at the same time as me. It seems very common or at least a lot more common than I'd ever realised!

Mark

myfear25
12-04-06, 03:37
I have suffered with the fear of throwing up for a while now.
There for a while it got BAD I stopped eating and shut down which was hard because I am a mother of two. I was at the end of my rope I didnt know what to do I completely turned to God, it was so had to let it go like he says, but I did the best I could now Im doing great!!! He gave me a message and I know Im not cured but its pretty close. I finally go days without thinking about it I promise you can do it, if anyone would like to talk or need help I would love to give some advice and techniques.

Hannah
15-05-06, 17:02
hey, im jst so the same. at the moment im in exams and im so worried the whole time that i will be ill in my exams. i just feel so stupid because iv suffered this as long for so long and ots hard when my friends want to go drinking. i just get so scared incase im ill.

hayles
16-05-06, 09:35
Hey,

I am 25 am have had emetaphobia since i was about 5.
I havent been sick since i was 8! And believe me there has been several occasions when it has been very close!

Have you actually been sick with the poisoning? If so then whats there to panic about, you have been sick, you are still here and nothing bad happened!

I know I would be the same and totally freak out, but
your over the worst of it, and if you were gonna be sick again you probably would have been by now.

Tey eating some light food, maybe dry toast, some soup.

Your inside are proabaly ravenous!

Hope you feel better soon x

Hay x

Rye
20-05-06, 03:13
Hey,

I also suffer from emetophobia..

Im sorry to hear at that point you werent ill,it really isnt nice at all.

Everyone has given brilliant advise,it just isnt something that we can get over quickly, exposure therapy works for some and for others it can be very triggery,as in it sets it off more,but I think it depends on how good the therapist is.

Glad to hear that there are also some people out there who are getting through this day by day.

Take care

Rye x

gardinek
10-01-07, 12:15
Hi everyone

I have had emetophobia nearly all my life, I never knew until now that it actually had a name for it. I am petrified of being sick, to the extent that I now get aniexty attacks about it. I cannot go near people that are sick with a bug in case I catch it, everyone at work is coming down with this Winter Vomiting Bug and I am dreading the next person that comes down with it. I know I sound pathetic especially at my age, but it has always been a fear with me. I just wish it didn't bother me like it doesn't most people.

Its been helpful reading this site. I just wish I knew of a way to get over this phobia. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone else is going what I go through.

Thanks

Karen

Karen

ikkle_Vix
16-01-07, 12:05
Hey! Sorry I am no good for advice on this subject, but I just would like to say that I have also been worried about sickness before; after I was sick in front of everyone in my class one day.
When taking my mocks and GCSE exams I had to sit at the back of the hall because I was panicing about being sick and my tummy rumbling. I find it hard to eat early in the morning especially before exams which makes me feel ill when I get hungry. It's a vicious circle really :(

All the best to you, take care
Vix
x-x

x Vix x

KLK1107
19-01-07, 07:53
i'm with Karen... any help would be great! I have just discovered that my fear is an actual common phobia and it makes me feel a lot better to know that there are others with this same fear... I worry constantly about getting sick and since it has been so long since I have thrown up ::knock on wood:: my mind races and makes me think " oh your time is coming soon, it's been to long since you got sick so any day now you will get sick" I can't stand it anymore! Any help will be appreciated! highmntnce916@aol.com