PDA

View Full Version : Please someone help! Scaring myself...

Natalie x
23-11-10, 09:18
Hi. Over the past few days, I have been obsessing over numbness/tingling. This morning when I was gettign ready for work, I was putting on my make up and I touched the side of my face and felt like it was numb. I began pressing into my cheekbones with my nails adn I could feel it. Would this mean that my face wasn't numb after all? I went into a panic after this, but tried my hardest not to think about it. A while later, I was leaning over putting my socks on, when I got up the right hand side of my face felt numb and it felt like my lips were going to the side even though they weren't. I began to press on the space between my nose and my lips and that felt numb but I could stilll feel me touching it. Can anyone relate to this and give me some re-assurance. As you can imagine, all this horrible stuff is going on in my head and worrying it may be a stroke or somethign else brain related. I have college this afternoon and I'm dreading going incase something happens to me. Please reply. Thanks x

LucyR
23-11-10, 09:24
Hi, Yes I have felt this, it went away again, not sure what the cause of it was, probably anxiety manifest in different ways, one of them producing these symptoms, just try your best to ignore it.

Natalie x
23-11-10, 09:26
Thanks Lucy. What kind of things did you feel with regards to the above? Just so as it can out my mind at ease x

Natalie x
23-11-10, 10:09
Anyone else? x

Ducky85
23-11-10, 10:41
It's hard to do i know but try not to overthink things. These things create cycles of thought, they might be caused by anxiety, in turn creating more anxiety when they happen. Have you even seen a trick done where a person takes a hair grip and tests the sesitivity of a persons skin in different areas.. when not looking they might only feel like being poked by one prong... when in fact getting poked by 2... my point being, the mind can make you feel what isn't there, and anxiety can manifest this or in this way. Ever had a twitch in your eyelid which feels so so so strong.... but really it's a tiny twitch which can barely be seen by someone looking for it. Again it interpretation. I am not saying it's not important, have you been to a doctor? has it happened before?? Do you have any predisposing factors to stroke etc that has made you think it might be?? ie - age, smoking, high blood pressure, overweight etc

Hope you are finding reassurance on this site :)

paula lynne
23-11-10, 10:50
Hi Natalie, Ive been getting tingling/pins and needles for about a year, mostly in my hands/tips of my fingers. It also occurs in my feet, chin, tongue, parts of my scalp. It may be due to me possibly being peri-menopausal, however, its likely its anxiety related.

Dr Claire Weekes has a section on this in her book "self-help for your nerves"...I cant remember a lot off hand, but she basically says.."So what, my hands tingle..but they are still good hands to use, and work.." once you accept it wont hurt you, it does seem to lessen. x Take care x:)

Natalie x
23-11-10, 10:51
Thanks for your reply. No not had anything before and not been to the doctor. I'm not overweight, dont smoke etc. but im slightly more worried now you mention doctor :weep: x

Natalie x
23-11-10, 10:53
Thanks Paula. I'm just finding it hard to forget and keep analysing more sensations x

PokerFace
23-11-10, 10:57
Think ducky asked it cuz a doctor could put your mind at rest 100% not cuz you're ill so don't worry :)

Isn't a stroke cuz if it was you wouldn't beable to type here, I've only had this a couple of times myself but I've still had it! Nothing will happen to you at college either, will distract you away from the thoughts and feelings of anxiety cuz your mind will be busy. You'll be ok xx

Natalie x
23-11-10, 10:59
Thank you. I hope you're right. I seem to be so tuned in to every sensation which is increasing my anxiety x

Ducky85
23-11-10, 11:16
Yeah i agree with pokerface, it wasn't because something is wrong with you, but it might help ease your anxiety by talking to your doctor about it. Out of curiosity how old are you? (if u don't mind me asking?) Also, please don't get anxious over going to college etc, remember you are surrounded by people at college, if something happened (which i don't think it would) but if it did there are lots of people around to help. I imagine it could be nerves, or even sinuses, even something as simple as a cold can knock things about... even months after a cold. Please try not to worry. xx

LucyR
23-11-10, 11:40
Hi, I had numb feeling in the left side of my face, sometimes felt it in left side of my head too, also left foot and left leg, that was a while ago now and it just went by itself.

LucyR
23-11-10, 11:41
Hi, I also thought it may be something to do with posture and computer use by the way.

Natalie x
23-11-10, 11:45
I'm only 19. I've been doing great but i've just gone backwards again x

LucyR
23-11-10, 11:54
You have just fell backwards?

PokerFace
23-11-10, 11:54
With her anxiety, she's having a blip lol. x

blueangel
23-11-10, 12:01
I had problems with numb feelings and numb patches on my face and head years ago. They started to really bug me as I was convinced that I'd either got a brain tumour or MS. Problem is, as someone else has already said, we attach ourselves to our symptoms and then of course there is no way that they'll go away. I have successfully managed this with my IBS symptoms at the moment, and of course it's just making them worse.

Ducky85
23-11-10, 12:09
the likelihood of you having a stroke at the age of 19 are very slim. Please try not to worry. :) x