PDA

View Full Version : can your diaphram get tight and stay that way ?

puppyskin
24-11-10, 22:35
had a tightness for months now,not been really anxious but i still have this solid feeling in my upper abdomen.

paula lynne
24-11-10, 22:38
Hi Puppy, your diaphragm moves upward and out as you take a breath, its a sheet of solid muscle, but is flexible. I wonder if the feeling is due to muscle ligaments around that area, often its accessory muscles that tighten in cases of panic and anxiety.
Have you seen a gp?

puppyskin
24-11-10, 22:43
not seen gp but ive been noticing im holding my breath which is odd,i thought breathing was automatic...thanks.

dread
24-11-10, 22:49
If you are thinking about your diaphragm being tight, and therefore thinking about your breathing it makes it difficult to do it naturally... it's possible that by concentrating on the fact you think your diaphragm is tight you're tensing it up, which leads into the cycle of it feeling like that.
I don't think it's really possible for your diapraghm to stay tight, as muscles require a lot of energy to constract, and it would get tired and achy and just not be able to hold like that permanantly.

paula lynne
24-11-10, 22:50
Yes breathing is involuntary (automatic)...maybe the holding your breath has caused a tightning of intercostal muscles etc...its not dangerous, but maybe your gp could give you sone reasurrance x

benjamin222
24-11-10, 22:57
Shallow breathing is a very common anxiety symptom, if you peruse these forums you'll find dozens and dozens of people asking about it. Just remember you're not alone!

puppyskin
24-11-10, 23:29
thanks for replies,i just find it hard to get a proper breath cos my stomach is so tight and achy

Jo3016
25-11-10, 10:33
You are stuck in a cycle. As soon as you think about your breathing, you don't breathe automatically. I have had several instances of "air hunger" and it is really hard to get out of. I have also been told by a chrirpractor that my diaphragm is very tight so I understand how you are feeling.

Like all anxiety symptoms, it is easier said than done to get rid of them, but I am sure that it is nothing serious.

Try to distract yourself as best you can, get plenty of sleep, vitamins and exercise.

I hope you are feeling better soon

allergyphobia
25-11-10, 10:37
i ALWAYS tense my diaphragm......it's very uncomfortable and can make it difficult to breathe normally. usually burping (sorry) or having something warm on the area helps to relax it. rubbing it also helps!