PDA

View Full Version : so upset, can't believe it!

allergyphobia
25-11-10, 15:51
i went back to my flat at lunchtime where my dad has been staying with me. i stayed at my friends house last night, and when i came into the lounge this lunchtime my dad had left the gas fire on ALL night with the light out but the gas running...

i noticed just as i was about to leave so had been there for about an hour, i suddenly heard it. i opened up all the windows and turned it off obviously but i am so upset! i am also scared to sleep tonight incase the gas hasn't gone??

i am also so full of anxiety about what could have happened to my poor dad on his own! and now he feels terrible about it which i don't want him to everyone makes mistakes. i am now just worried as i know he will close all the windows as i am back at work but i won't believe the gas is gone and won't feel safe when i go back tonight

:weep:

paula lynne
25-11-10, 15:56
Hi love, the main thing is your dad is ok.x
Youve done the right thing by opening the windows and ventilating the room, all the gas will be gone dont worry.x Just perhaps show your dad how to fully turn the gas off properly, and that will set both your minds at rest. He wasnt hurt so try not to think of the "what ifs.." now, as you will only feed your anxiety.
He is fine and he is safe. x

ditzygirl
25-11-10, 16:04
Sweetie you will smell the gas so any whiffs - open the windows straight away, I dont want to freak you out here but do you have a carbon monoxide alarm ?

As I said you will smell the gas but this is odourless and is given out by gas fires or blocked chimneys.

I really really dont mean to scare you. It might be wise to pick one up quickly they are not expensive.

At least you will know you have covered all possibilitiesxx

allergyphobia
25-11-10, 16:06
Do you think the carbon monoxide will go out of the window? I wonder if anywhere will be open selling a detector now.

This was a gas fire....

Thank you for all your advice... i'm in such a flap now, i can't believe it!!!

allergyphobia
25-11-10, 16:39
i'm so freaking out :weep:... i feel so tired and tight chested and headachey and now i'm worrying that it's from carbon monoxide...

yvonne_uk_98
25-11-10, 17:06
Hi Allergyphobia,

Sorry to hear what's happend, glad you dad is alright, keep the windows opened. you can check the internet about the symptoms from carbon monoxide, if you are still worried phone 24nhs team.

I have checked it up, there is far too much information, it's best you look it up for yourself.

I hope you feel better soon.

Yvonne

daisycake
25-11-10, 18:02
:) I think carbon monoxide only comes from gases that have been burnt - which in your case, they weren't? So I don't think you need to be too worried about that .. It must have smelt a bit gassy in the room so you've done the right thing by opening the windows, doors etc. Maybe phone nhs direct/24 if you're really worried but believe me I've worried about these things a lot in the past, even had an engineer out once and there was nothing, it turned out, to be worried about :blush:.. If it reassures you - my very stupid friend from school, on a sleepover after too much to drink, decided to inhale the gas from a friend's cigarrette lighter - before then trying to set the gas alight so she'd breathe fire. I can't emphasise how much I'm not reccomending anyone do this :lac:as it's absolutely stupid - I was terrified - but she was absolutely fine, not even a headache... Not friends for much longer after that though!

I honestly think you'll be fine, but like I said if you are really concerned call NHS. Be prepared though for them to act on the worst case scenario, they always do, I phoned once for advice on heartburn and within a few minutes they had me booked into see a doctor up at the hospital that hour incase something worse was going on :ohmy:!!

Hope you feel better soon :hugs: xx

yeah I thought so, according to the tinernet (as my aunty calls it) carbon monoxide is produced as a result of improper ventilation of burning gas (like using a bbq indoors, or having a blocked chimney).

uk23
25-11-10, 18:27
I think calling NHS Direct (0845 4647) is a good idea, just to check what they would advise for airing the room and how long.

allergyphobia
25-11-10, 18:44
Hi everyone!

Thank you SO much everybody for all of your replies. Just to update everybody, i went to tesco after work and bought a carbon monoxide alarm... i've just set it up, and the reading says 0.

I immediately feel relieved... thank you to you all for keeping my calm... as usual, you guys are my rock!

I will definitely be teaching my dad how to turn off the gas fire properly... men eh??

:shrug:

daisycake- what a crazy lazy your friend was!!

london
25-11-10, 22:37
dont think you get carbon monoxide till the gas is alight

allergyphobia
26-11-10, 09:23
you're right col, shouldda just PM'd you shouldn't i! ;-) x

Geoff2301
26-11-10, 09:31
Gas fires..... at least the more modern ones, are designed so that you can't have the gas on full without it being lit..... basically, if there's no heat/flame, then no gas goes through the appliance unless you're pressing down the "ignition" button or whatever. Even our gas hob in the kitchen has the system so unless your fire is really ancient.... 30 years + .... there's nothing to worry about.

allergyphobia
26-11-10, 09:36
Wow, thanks for that Geoff!! I feel completely reassured now!!