PDA

View Full Version : Hi from UK

Megan2
26-11-10, 17:54
Hello..I am Meg from South Devon in England...so glad to find this site!!
I have had panic attacks for for 20 yrs but have coped with them and even worked. For the last 2 yrs it has got worse. I am sooooo scared of ending up like my mum...she died in January ( 89 yrs old) and had not left the house ( even to go into her own garden ) for 35 yrs!!! I rang my doctor and explained that I needed help ( ie..out-reach worker...or similar), and was told to come to the surgery! I told him that if I just thought about going out I felt physically sick...all I got back was ...if you don't come to the surgery I can't help you!!!!! That doctor (I know because my Dad worked for the National Health Service) gets paid for me being on his books whether he treats me or not!!!! My daughter does a lot of shopping etc for me....the rest I pay people to do!
The doctor also told me to "not put a plaster" over things...just take more diazepam!!!!
Sorry for rant...looking forward to meeting some of you!!!!! MegXX

nomorepanic
26-11-10, 17:56
Hi Megan2

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

sugarplums
26-11-10, 18:26
:welcome: hi meg , sorry to hear about you losing your mum this year.

it's such a shame that most gp's aren't very understanding when it comes to anxiety and agoraphobia.
i was told i had anxiety disorder when i was a teenager, im now 31. i developed agoraphobia when i was 17 but i have a milder form of it now,
i think unless it's something that people can see like a broken arm or a leg , then it seems that unfortunately some people have little understanding of it.

there's lots of lovely and friendly people on here who are in the same boat

i only took diazepam once years ago and it knock me for 6 !! i would recommend seeing a homeopath or herbalist as i found that really helpful.
also dr. claire weeks book was really helpful in overcoming some of the anxiety and agoraphobia.

there are counsellors and other sources of help out there, who can and will visit people struggling with anxiety and agoraphobia in their own homes.

there is lots of help out there so please don't be afraid of being like your mum, who couldn't leave her house for 35 years, you can overcome anxiety and agoraphobia , and this site will support you :) xxx

paula lynne
26-11-10, 19:29
Hi Meg, so nice to know you. Welcome, you will find lots of really helpful info and advice here, and make some good friends along the way. Ive had agoraphobia and panic for 10 years, and in the 3 monthes since joining, have come on leaps and bounds...and I dont take any meds for it, just my bp and cholesterol meds.

A great place to start is by reading the info in the left hand column on panic/anxiety etc...and go from there. I too read dr claire weekes, and listen to susan jeffers "feel the fear and do it anyway" on tape...a great help. I also use lots of lavender, and re-breath into my trusty paper bag when my anxiety is bad. I went camping this year for a week, and have been to a shopping center alone, and tescos, something I never dreamed I could a couple of monthes ago. Dont give up. Youre not alone now xxx:hugs:

Vanilla Sky
27-11-10, 13:55
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

recoil
27-11-10, 14:07
hi and :welcome: to nmp

121149knitting
28-11-10, 16:58
Hi,
Welcome to the group. If you want e.mail support i am here. I have had agraphobia for quite a bit but I can now get out with someone and life is good again. I never thought I would say that. Sandra, willskay2000@yahoo.co.uk I live near Preston ,in the NW of England. My MUm also suffered from not going out for many many years and she found if hard to stay in also.

gaaron
28-11-10, 17:21
hi Megan2
:welcome::flowers:

PinkyPunx
29-11-10, 00:26
hello and welcome :D x

Veronica H
29-11-10, 00:48
:welcome:to NMP.
Veronicax