PDA

View Full Version : Urinary Issues

Diva
26-11-10, 22:49
Hi there

For once I am not stressing out that I have something serious (yet!) but I wondered if anyone might be able to help or advise. I have posted before about cystitis-type symptoms that have lasted for about three and a half months. Have been checked for bacterial infection and STI's but nothing showed up except for traces of blood in the first and nothing in the second.

The symptoms have now all but gone, just a twinge now and then, but on three occasions, over the last six weeks I have been bursting to go to the loo within an hour of last going. Twice while driving through London (so couldn't stop to go anywhere) and once tonight during a CBT session.

This has only ever happened to me once in my whole life before, I've never been a woman that has to go to the loo frequently (in fact an ex-boyfriend once said it was one of best points!)

Is this something that is a symptom of IC, irritable bladder or something else? - perimenapause maybe (I'm 48). I haven't been going to the loo more often than before my symptoms started, it just seems when I need to go the urge gets more urgent, more quickly than it used to - if that makes sense? But only in a situation where I can't get to a loo! (but then I suppose if I was in a situation where I could get to a loo, it wouldn't happen)

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Hazel B
27-11-10, 11:26
Hi, I had UTI-type symptoms for 3 months this year, it really got me down. At first I had white cells and blood in my sample so it was an infection. After 4 lots of antibiotics I was given tablets for "irritable bladder" which did not help. I had frequency and burning and at one point was going to the loo every 20 mins. I was referred to a urologist who told me that I had probably had an infection and then my anxiety caused the frequency. I was on Propranolol for anxiety and this did help calm me down. I'm still convinced I had a persistent infection, even though my tests were clear, as I had a permanent "burn".

Anxiety increases adrenanlin and this can make you need to "vacate" regularly. I asked the uro if I could have "Interstitial Cystitis" , but he had access to all my recent scans for gallstones so he told me my bladder did not look damaged. I've now given up caffeine, coke and fizzy drinks and am paranoid the symptoms will return.

It may be that your "nerves" cause the urgency at certain times, have you spoken to your GP about it?

Diva
28-11-10, 20:45
Thanks for your response Hazel.

I agree I was probably stressed each time this has happened (although I don't find my CBT consciously stressful, in fact I feel very positive afterward).

Haven't mentioned to my GP as I don't have one - still not managed to get over that phobia as I'm scared of the tests you have have when you register! Am working on it 'though!

Thnaks again for your response.

xx

Anxious_gal
29-11-10, 00:17
last few times I was convinced I had a UTI as I had all the usual symptoms, but this time the tests were negative, so like you my doc ran some extra tests all which were negative!

Tish
29-11-10, 15:38
Unfortunately, this is something that happens to us older females, I started when I became perimenopausal. I don't know why some days i can be ok and on other days be needing the loo about every hour. Cold weather makes it worse and you learn not to drink too much when you have to go anywhere. Maybe I should see a doc but haven't done yet. :huh:

Diva
29-11-10, 20:55
Oh god - I never thought of myself as an "older female" but I did think it might be perimenapause!

Thanks for all the good advice guys - most helpful and, as always reassuring.

xx

Hazel B
29-11-10, 22:44
Me neither! What age does "perimenopausal" refer to?

My life was an absolute misery needing the loo every 20 minutes, I could hardly go anywhere! Since then, I've switched to non allergy clothes wash, have 100% cotton pants, perfume free soap and shower gel, drink more water and wipe front to back! I do NOT want those symptoms back.