PDA

View Full Version : is cipramil the same as citalopram?

AJS
28-11-10, 17:29
Hi

Just wondering if Cipramil is the same as Citalopram.

The chemist has given me something that looks totally different to what I usually get. My old pack says citalopram and the main ingredient says citalopram hydroCHLORIDE - the new pack say Cipramil and the main ingredient says citalopram hydroBROMIDE?

Would be grateful if anyone could tell me if they are the same thing or not - i am due to take my next tablet in the morning and wouldn't like to take a totally different tablet.

Thanks

AJ x

HarrogateChris
28-11-10, 18:04
I'm not an expert. But they are listed together under the same entry in the BNF (British National Formulary) which is the official quick reference book.

I *think* the citalopram is the important bit and whether it is provided as hydrochloride or hydrobromide is just a proprietary thing.

But I don't know what I'm talking about so I'd advise giving your GP or pharmacist a call if you have time before starting the new ones. I'm sure it's fine, but doesn't hurt to put your mind at rest. Is there a 24hr pharmacy you could phone?

Chris

AJS
28-11-10, 18:18
Thanks Chris

I have had a look on the internet and it seems to be the same tablet - it's just a branding thing.

Will give the chemist a call in the morning before i take it - just incase. I'm just a bit reluctant in case it is something different - as then i would probably end up with discontinuation effect and then side effects from the new ones - knowing my luck!! (was ill for the first 2 weeks of citalopram)

Much appreciated

Aj

HarrogateChris
28-11-10, 18:24
Let us know what they say. Looks like I'm going to be on the Cit a while so it would be useful to know whould the same happen to me. :)

Chris

AJS
28-11-10, 18:35
sure - will do :)

I have had loads of different brands - but they have all just said citalopram - this one is totally different!

AJS
30-11-10, 14:37
Called the chemist this morning and they told me it's exactly the same medication, cipramil is just the brand name they couldn't get the other one in due to manufacturing problems!

HarrogateChris
30-11-10, 19:52
Pleased to know I wasn't talking rubbish for once :D

Chris