PDA

View Full Version : Do we all make too much adrenaline?

bmccartney
29-11-10, 01:43
Just wondering about this huge amount of adrenaline i am constantly stuck in. That is what it always feels like.....like a permanent interveneous drip of adrenaline! If adrenaline is the culprit, why is that? why is there not a pill to reduce adrenaline? What the hec causes some people to have adrenaline problems and others do not? Can the way we think make us produce too much adrenaline? I just do not get it! I need to find a way to get rid of adrenaline...likely we all do.Anybody know anything about this?

mr badger
29-11-10, 08:34
Isn't it that the mind is setting up a situation where the adrenaline is then produced?

bmccartney
29-11-10, 12:15
Maybe... the mind is a very powerful thing! Very complicated i suspect

Dragonsblonde
29-11-10, 12:17
Adrenaline is a very important part of us and without it you wouldn't feel anything at all most of the time. Badger is correct in the fact that adrenaline is produced by a mental/physical response to danger or excitment. The problem we mostly have is our thoughts produce an over reaction to the situations and thoughts we face and so produce it when it is not necessary.

That's why the work is done on correctly our responses, controlling and accepting our thoughts in a better way so that the adrenaline response is not triggered

Hazel B
29-11-10, 12:38
DB is right, we get caught in the "fight or flight" mode.

There is a tablet to supress adrenaline - Propranolol. It worked for me.

ginny
29-11-10, 17:02
By recognizing the symptoms and signs of being in fight or flight, we can begin to take steps to handle the stress overload. There are benefits to being in fight or flight—even when the threat is only psychological rather than physical. For example, in times of emotional jeopardy, the fight or flight response can sharpen our mental acuity, thereby helping us deal decisively with issues, moving us to action. But it can also make us hypervigilant and over-reactive during times when a state of calm awareness is more productive. By learning to recognize the signals of fight or flight activation, we can avoid reacting excessively to events and fears that are not life threatening. In so doing, we can play "emotional judo" with our fight or flight response, "using" its energy to help us rather than harm us. We can borrow the beneficial effects (heightened awareness, mental acuity and the ability to tolerate excess pain) in order to change our emotional environment and deal productively with our fears, thoughts and potential dangers.

Going home
29-11-10, 19:21
I suppose it depends on what's going on in our lives to produce more adrenaline, everyone reacts in different ways to different situations. It might be an idea to also note that as well as our reaction to outside influences, health can affect levels too. An example is if we're not eating properly and blood sugar levels are all over the place, this can produce more adrenaline.

As Hazel says, there are meds to reduce adrenaline called beta blockers of which propranolol is one...I take this one myself. The thing is though, in some people these can sap energy levels and cause their own problems, so its always good to try and calm ourselves in other ways by understanding why it happens and trying to calm it down naturally.

Anna xx

bmccartney
29-11-10, 23:14
I was given propanol too...everytime I took it i bawled and cried all day!1st cry ive had in 6 months and just added another problem. Have no idea why it makes me cry but doctor said he has heard of that in some people. I am booked for a complete medical in January ..so will ask to have everything checked that might be adding to adrenaline problems.