PDA

View Full Version : Lithium

Antipodes
19-03-06, 00:14
Hi,
I'm a PTSD-er (principally an anxiety disorder) and my symptoms are now reasonbly settled. I have tried many durg combinations and have settled on relatively high dose Venlafaxine (Effexor XR) 300mg/day. I have tried two anti-psychotic meds (Quetiapine and Risperidone) but still no real improvement.

I have now been told I have treatment resistant depression accompanying my controlled PTSD with delayed onset of 12 years.

I am now taking Lithium Carbonate 500mg/day in divided 12h dose. I am told it is a mood-stabiliser and that I should not be concerned with any connotations I may have bipolar (as I do not) and that it is hoped my mood will improve.

Has anyone been prescribed lithium in combination with SSRI or SNRI?? I would be glad to hear of your experience and views on the sucess of this low/moderate daily dose of Lithium.

Antipodes

wobily_lin
19-03-06, 01:25
Hi Jeff,

As you know i too have PTSD. I have not been given lithium myself. But my brother has been on it for some years now. I'm not sure of what dose he is on but this I can find out for you. He takes this with cipralex and olanzapine. Because this is a metal, he has regular blood tests for liver and kidney function and up to now has had no probs. As said he has been on lithium for many years and i do believe as he does too that this has made a difference to his depression.
My younger sister has recently also been put on lithium( since last August/September). Again I'm not sure of the dosage she is on. She also takes venlafaxine and was taking olanzanpine too, although i'm not sure if that is the case now. But all this I can find out for you my friend. With her, it takes a while for the docs to get the right dosage with regular blood tests to achieve this. Today I can see a huge difference in her once the meds kicked in, and with the help of therapy, as she is still in a rehab hosp at the moment.
It may take a while for this to kick in Jeff. I wouldn't worry though as I know you are at the end of your tether. Give it a go bro.
I will find out as much as i can for you and let you know.
I hope this is a little helpful to you my friend. I will keep in touch.
will chat soon.

((((((huge hugs to you Jeff))))))
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lin,
xxx

chop
19-03-06, 09:21
I was put on a few drugs along with ssri anti depressant. Mine were antipsychotics to help stabilise mood and sleep.

Oh just re-read your post and the two anti psychotics I have tried are what you have lol... They made me out of it and sleepy and zonked out all day.

They did not work for me.

I have a mate who has panic and depression and he is on high dose of zoloft ssri and it didnt work so they augmented it with small dose of lithium for stabilising mood and anti depression.

I didnt agree with it at the time (but i am not dr) and it has actually seemed to help him.

Cheers
Chop

Learning to under react

FRANKIEISBACK
19-03-06, 20:26
I am taking a 800mg of lithium a day, its used to keep me from getting too agressive, i feel fine on lithium, it keeps me level headed, even 800mg is a low dose, people with manic epression are usually on 1000mg or more

Antipodes
19-03-06, 23:13
Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how this pans out. I am only into day 5 of Lithium so will suspend making an opinion but it seems it may have some promise?

I have tried SO many meds in the last 5 years. Side effects can be wicked - I was pulled off Risperidone because I started vomitting with nil forewarning. It was a drug interaction with the Venlafaxine (Effexor) and there have been other undesirable side effects from most. Moclobemide was most outstanding for nil side effects and it fixed my anxiety well.

Thanks again for input :- )

Antipodes

jo61
26-11-06, 09:17
Hi, just wondering how you're getting on with the lithium? I'm in the process of coming off Effexor and have just started 500mg lithium at night. for me it's for recurrent depression too, not bipolar. I think I'm having more probems with coming off Effexor than starting lithium. I have to have a blood test within a week of starting and then every 3 months to check thyroid and kidneys.

Jo x

Jo

Antipodes
26-11-06, 22:46
Hi Joanna,

I was increased to 750mg within a few days of doing that post as the serum levels were too low at 500mg. I have been on 750mg/day now for eight months. I am not bi-polar. I was prescibe this because it is a mood stabiliser.

I honestly can't say whether it is doing anything or not. I have come down from 300mg Effexor to 225mg and am on 150mg/day for about the last 2 weeks. But I am pressing my psychiatrist to do something about the side effect that most men get (grrr). I did not have this side effect when I was on Moclobemide (the ONLY med I regard highly).

It may be the Lithium is helping - I won't know the answer unless I come off it.

I'm sorry you're having difficulty weaning off Effexor. It is famously hard to come off - I just hope you're doing it slowly and don't have "far" to go.

I wish you well.

jo61
28-11-06, 10:17
THanks, I'm down to 75mg Effexor now, and missing the odd day. I have to miss it 2 days this week. Missed it yesterday, was ok until last night and then felt awful, didn't sleep well and feel wretched this morning. Have just taken today's dose and hope I'll feel better later. This is a horrible med and if I ever manage to get off it I'll never go near it again.

Jo x

Jo