PDA

View Full Version : I feel trapped with all the snow

phil06
29-11-10, 18:01
I feel like worryingly trapped by all this snow falling. Yesterday at work was scary with all the roads shut and buses struggling..and you see people on tv trapped in cars. Brings on a claustrophobic feeling or like those films were everybody is snowed into a log cabin. :ohmy:

I kind of worry I'll go crazy and not cope..anybody else had this?

gaaron
29-11-10, 18:27
Hi phil06
I'm sorry you feel like that.
I think I'm the mad one, because I actually like all the commotion (as long as I'm prepared). x

Going home
29-11-10, 19:03
I can relate to it too Phil. I'm also suffer with bad claustrophobia and although the snow doesn't bother me too much, fog can make me really anxious. There is another thread somewhere about winter power cuts and that's the same terror for me too, so i make sure ive got plenty of candles!

Anna xx

attwood
29-11-10, 19:07
I think I'm the mad one, because I actually like all the commotion (as long as I'm prepared). x[/QUOTE]

i enjoy a bit of commotion sumtimes too, it disrupts the mind and breaks the cycle of anxiety for me, so i guess i am i your club mate !!

ElizabethJane
29-11-10, 19:15
Where abouts in the uk are you? We have thick snow forecast tonight here in Chelmsford Essex. I'm getting a bit twitchy facing disruption getting to work tomorrow schools closed also my sons cornet exam. EJ.

Dizz
29-11-10, 19:57
I think I'm a bit odd as I love the snow... it brings out the 'happy little child' lurking in me. Snowball fights, snowmen with carrot noses, slegding(well not too much as I'm not very supple these days ha ha but great for getting the shopping home) infact anything that is child like rather than grown up like.

I want some snow please :roflmao:

gaaron
29-11-10, 20:09
I think I'm the mad one, because I actually like all the commotion (as long as I'm prepared). x

i enjoy a bit of commotion sumtimes too, it disrupts the mind and breaks the cycle of anxiety for me, so i guess i am i your club mate !![/QUOTE]

You've got me to a 'T' !:yesyes:

mr badger
29-11-10, 21:15
i enjoy a bit of commotion sumtimes too, it disrupts the mind and breaks the cycle of anxiety for me, so i guess i am i your club mate !!

You've got me to a 'T' !:yesyes:[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'm brilliant in a crisis, it's real life I can't cope with :D

shaz14
29-11-10, 22:22
Oh no, it's just started snowing where i live and I'm getting panicky. I don't need to get anywhere but I worry about my loved ones driving or travelling on the roads. I also worry that basic food and medicine supplies won't get delivered or emergency services won't be able to get through. Does anyone else worry like me? Why can't I be thinking about the fun side of it??!!

shaggyowen
29-11-10, 22:28
ah dude the snow is wicked =] get out and enjoy it

loveletter
29-11-10, 22:29
Yes Phil I have this bad.
It started last year when it snowed I felt trapped in the house.
Got this silly thought in my head that we would all suffocate.
I get into my head that the snow will go on all the doors and windows and no air will get to us.
I am shaking as I write this as we had a little snow early evening but are forecast for more from about midnight until 5am in the morning.
I am following everything people are saying in a weather forum.
I do not know if I should go to bed soon and try to sleep so I do not know about it but will I sleep.
Also scared of power cuts have got candles out and at the ready.
I lost my husband a few years back I have my 3 sons live with me but sort of try to keep my panic in.
I am praying so much to God that we do not get bad snow tonight I am almost in tears now

phil06
29-11-10, 22:44
Thanks for the replies as silly as it sounds this is the most snow we have had in a long time. I'm only 22 and don't remember it this deep..usually I like a little bit of snow but it's knee deep..everything is pretty much stuck.

shaggyowen
29-11-10, 22:47
kness deep where do you live in somerset wev had f**k all lol =[

Dragonsblonde
29-11-10, 22:51
I have a similar fear of snow coming, mainly as my anxiety comes on when I feel trapped by circumstances and unable to get out and do the normal things that distract me like go to work or just be free outside.

I live on a short, but very steep hill which makes moving about very difficult. I think it is a common fear though so don't feel bad about having it x

gaaron
29-11-10, 23:39
Me too. I'm brilliant in a crisis, it's real life I can't cope with :D[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Give me an outside crisis anyday...as calm as anything dealing with those..

Where's that snow?

phil06
30-11-10, 00:11
Where's that snow?

I'm in Scotland and yep it's knee deep..never seen it so bad.

loveletter
30-11-10, 00:19
Phil my heart goes out to you I think I would be hysterical if I was there with it that bad.
It should get to me about now so I am seeing on the weather forums.
I am going off to bed now hoping I will sleep and not know nothing.
I keep telling myself that people have snow all over the world and they wake up the next day and do not die.

shaggyowen
30-11-10, 00:21
thats keen but yeh the scots always get it bad dont they :/ send it down my way i will welcome it with open arms =]

gaaron
30-11-10, 03:14
It's snowed. (Mind you we often get it when no one else does)

Anxious_gal
30-11-10, 04:01
I just dont like the ice , never bothered me until last year when i slipped on some black ice , i thought i was being smart by avoiding the white patches!! So i feel trapped in that sense ,

jessicalittler79
30-11-10, 04:03
i know how u feel phil ive had that feeling befor not fun is it sorry u feel this way

gaaron
30-11-10, 04:04
yep, black ice scares me! I've got some 'things' to put on my shoes/boots now so I can walk more confidently.

Dizz
30-11-10, 09:18
Not tried it myself yet but apparently if you wear a pair of socks OVER your boots/shoes when it's icy it stops you slipping.. probably look a bit daft though :roflmao:

Good to hear two other people on here saying they are fine in a crisis though... I'm the same... I'm the calmest, most focused and 'get it sorted its not a problem' person on the planet when there's a real problem/emergency/crisis... it's the normal little everyday things that seem to stress me out :blush:

Oooooooooh it's just started snowing here.... :yesyes::unsure:

phil06
30-11-10, 14:31
Need some help..just been out clearning snow for an hour and a half and feel all faint..am i dying? :ohmy:

JaneC
30-11-10, 14:33
No Phil. Have a rest, something to eat and a warm drink and I'm sure you'll be fine x

gaaron
30-11-10, 14:36
[QUOTE=Dizz;754806]Not tried it myself yet but apparently if you wear a pair of socks OVER your boots/shoes when it's icy it stops you slipping.. probably look a bit daft though :roflmao:

Cardi boots are in fashion! I dont think putting socks over your boots would work re the slipping bit tho' :shrug:

gaaron
30-11-10, 14:37
Need some help..just been out clearning snow for an hour and a half and feel all faint..am i dying? :ohmy:

I'm exhausted just thinking about doing it! Have a nice rest...x

Anxious_gal
30-11-10, 16:28
I always like to have extra tins and packets of food in the house, which as good as last year it was pretty bad for a few days! I was even stuck at home on Christmas because the roads were dangerously icy!
M y friends swear by putting socks over their shoes! even if it's just to walk to their car :-)
I feel bad for any one that lives up a hill!!
I hear of some people using cat litter to grit their roads and foot paths.

Vixxy
30-11-10, 16:33
I felt like you last year. I had a major relapse with my anxiety over xmas, and then all that snow that fell scared the s**t out of me. I was so scared I would be trapped forever. Although at the time I didn't actually want to leave the house anyway!
I've been fretting all year worrying about it snowing and what my reaction would be to it.
It snowed here last night and I went out. It was fine. I'm sure if it builds up over night I'll be a bit anxious about it tomorrow, but I'm not going to worry about it until it happens!
I would advise anyone that is worrying about being trapped to go out and buy some basic food supplies, electricity, phone credit, whatever you need. And then you won't have to worry about anything running out :)
Try to remember how you felt as a child. Snow was fun! Nothing has changed.

Ayame
01-12-10, 11:56
My problem isn't the same really but I dislike snow, I don't mind looking at it from the inside :P But when I'm outside, the crunch just goes through me and I hate being absolutely freezing. Saying that I do think snowball fights are fun, so maybe I'm thinking a little mixed up?

Anyway I'm more annoyed that theres nowhere to go in all this weather. I'm stuck in the house alot anyway, and I don't like it.

heavenly
01-12-10, 13:33
I didn't have anxiety last winter but my car did slide sidewards into another so I lost my confidence driving in the snow/ice and other half drove all the time. Now its this year, and I suffer with anxiety, I was so nervous this morning when I saw the snow, other half told me to take a cab, which I did, but obviously can't afford to do that everyday so I am taking the power back. I am going to wrap up and whack my ipod in and walk, if it looks bad outside. Its about half an hour walk, it will do me good, and I won't be worrying every single time it snows as I will be in control. :D

Dragonsblonde
02-12-10, 10:52
Well just to give people some comfort I hope....we have now had enough snow here to cause problems and despite the fear I still came to work and then went up the hill to my Doc's appointment and made it back to work all safe and sound. Hate the snow, but as long as you take care and are sensible it is just another fear to face and come out of the other side of.

heavenly
04-12-10, 09:21
Never been so pleased to see rain today, snow has gone, hurrah! xx

Zingara
04-12-10, 18:10
Phil, I feel just as you do. And don't let anyone make you feel you 'should' be enjoying the snow - after all, it is extremely dangerous, especially for the elderly and disabled. And the claustrophobia is a nightmare - I feel exactly the same about it.

Anxious_gal
04-12-10, 19:50
this might be a bit off topic but I was watching a polish woman on the Irish news, and she said yes I am used to this weather but I am not used to the whole county stopping because of a bit of snow.
it's so true lol, lots of places have much more snow than us, but I guess we just are not as prepared or experienced with it as other places.

Fem_of_the_species
04-12-10, 21:21
I love the snow, until my pipes get frozen and I have no water - like yesterday and this morning! Luckily I sorted it out today with my trusty hairdryer :)