PDA

View Full Version : Called the Samaitans

mr badger
29-11-10, 21:08
Well, I've recently signed on here as my anxiety and depression is coming on very strongly. Useful advice here and started an online CBT programme today.

OK until my (brilliant and supportive) wife came home and had a complete tearful panic. It's all just too much at the moment.

I ended up phoning the Samaritans. Best thing I could have done. we both talket to te listener for about half an hour. Gave me a real chance to just unload, in a way I could never do with someone I know personally.

If you're in a state, don't hesitate to give the a call.

I've been a Sams supporter for years and actually have friends who are volunteers but never thought that I would need their support.

Thanks.

elainey70
29-11-10, 21:14
Hi Mr Badger,

sorry your feeling so bad, I'm glad you got the support you needed from the Samaritans. Hope you start to feel better soon. take care

Elaine

mr badger
29-11-10, 21:21
Hi Mr Badger,

sorry your feeling so bad, I'm glad you got the support you needed from the Samaritans. Hope you start to feel better soon. take care

Elaine

I'll be fine I expect. OK for now in any case, thanks. My main reason for posting was to say that it's ok to call the Sams. It's not just for them other lot if you know what I mean.

LittleFairy
29-11-10, 21:37
bit of a stupid question - but what actually do they do when you call them?
i phoned a helpline once aaages ago and i just felt silly and like i couldnt really talk about things even though i wanted and needed too.

mr badger
29-11-10, 21:42
bit of a stupid question - but what actually do they do when you call them?
i phoned a helpline once aaages ago and i just felt silly and like i couldnt really talk about things even though i wanted and needed too.

just let me feel a bit less weird actually.

Sams don't give advice or any form of treatment, just someone who listens. I felt a bit odd too, I was very upset and tearful. For the record, I'm a hulking 6'3" middle aged man so that's got to be as silly as it gets. Still very useful believe me.

rach182
30-11-10, 09:45
I'm glad you feel better after talking to Samaritans - it's nice just to have someone to listen to you, isn't it?

I was in a bit of a state yesterday - I thought I'd finally give counselling a go, but I got an email from my uni telling me that they're busy at the moment. I felt crushed - I'd finally got up enough confidence to ask for an appointment and then that happened. I got pretty down over the rest of the day and I felt so trapped, like no one was there for me to talk to.

So, I did the opposite to you - instead of phoning Samaritans, I emailed them! I simply didn't feel up to a phone call, as I knew I'd start crying. I cried anyway as wrote the email, but I felt so much better just writing it all down. They emailed back a few hours later, and I'm glad that they actually listened to me. I still ended up having a panic attack halfway through last night, but I felt more able to cope with it somehow :).