PDA

View Full Version : Worried again about catching STDs

vic003
30-11-10, 02:49
Well, today I went to my obstetrician for my routine check up (I'm 37 weeks pregnant). I had a swap taken. My worry is: There is a sheet you put over your lower half to cover yourself while the doc does the examination. The sheet accidentally touched my 'private area' and now I'm scared I have contracted something because other women have used the sheet to cover themselves. I have suffered from OCD for 7 years now, especially to do with catching STD's. I keep telling myself that you can only catch diseases from unprotected sex- this is a positive thought my doc taught me through my Cognitive behavioural therapy. Sooo tempted to see my doc to get reassurance. I hate feeling like this!!!

shaggyowen
30-11-10, 02:53
they change it every time just like the paper towel stuff they have when you lie on the beds =] dw youl be fine

Anxious_gal
30-11-10, 04:10
No you will not catch anything , im sure the doctors know what they are doing , im sure the sheet was clean, even if it wasnt you will still not catch anything x

eeyorelover
30-11-10, 06:04
I know how scary these types of feelings are but please try to reassure yourself that they use a fresh sheet for every patient.
Remember to redirect your thinking if your mind starts to mull it over.
Congrats on the upcoming birth :)
xxx
Sandy

constantworrier418
30-11-10, 09:11
As above they change the sheet everytime and they probably wipe down the couch with some sort of disinfectant, I've seen them do it over here and I can't imagine it would be any different where you are. It's the same practice as the dr's and nurses using gloves - they wouldn't use the same pair twice for the risk of infection.

Try not to worry - although being pregnant can make you even more worried (both my pregnancies had an impact on my HA) but trust in your Dr's they would not risk any cross contamination they fear being sued too much !! xxx