PDA

View Full Version : Want to join Army but covered in self-harm scars..

99% dead inside
30-11-10, 06:57
I know that when you join the Army you go to selection, and a doctor touches your balls and tells you to "breathe out".... *sigh* Who knows what goes through these people's heads.. :D

Anyway, ever since 2008, everynow and again I just go to town on myself with a knife, and I regret it now. Let's say I get past all the little tests and interviews but then I have to strip naked in front of a doctor. What are they gonna think/do when they see all the marks on my arm? Do you think I can just say that I don't do it anymore, it was a long time ago, and that'll be that. Or do they have the right to reject me?

I wish I didn't do it now. I've thought about concealing it with make-up but I don't think that'll work, I think it's best to just be honest and say "yeah I cut myself years ago, that's all behind me now". What do you think I should do if I'm ever in that position?

uk23
30-11-10, 12:08
I have a friend who is currently in Afghanistan, he used to self harm a lot and is covered in scars, this never seemed to stop him.

And the scars im talking about are big deep cut scars with a knife, some went down to the bone.

suzy-sue
30-11-10, 12:19
You need to be free of this type of problem for two years .That includes depression .But it wont stop them accepting you if you are fit and pass the initial interview and tests etc .Good luck sue xx

PoppyC
30-11-10, 15:45
Hi
My partner is in the military.
These days the army have really tightened up on who they accept. My nephew could not get in due to him having asthma and he does not even have it that severe. He was told to wait for another couple of years before applying again and then they will check to see if he has had an attack in that time or not.
They will pick up on your self harming if it is noted in your gps medical records, plus obviously they will see for themselves when you go for your medical. Maybe they wont turn you down for having self harmed but maybe they will question your mental health state.
I am not saying you won't get in, but the military these days are very concerned about the effects of stress on soldiers, and maybe they would question whether you would be able to cope with the stress in theatre, if you have self harmed previously.
All the best however if you go for joining up. Good luck!

Gazz
30-11-10, 16:20
If your on any form of medication ie for depression or anxiety sorry mate you have no chance the medicals now are very harsh indeed and they will pick up on your self harm past or present HM forces are very particular nowadays and very choosey who they pick. But best of luck if you give it a ago.

Anxious_gal
30-11-10, 17:11
I think they would more likely take into account your mental health history and how old these scars are.

Vixxy
01-12-10, 15:17
It was similar to when I applied to join the policeforce, they told me I would have to be free of all my medication for a suitable period before I should even bother to apply. I can only imagine the army is similar.
Good luck though!

99% dead inside
01-12-10, 15:32
Yeah, I know they're a bit choosey these days... Well I aren't on any medication, so that's good. My scars are easy to see, so I'll just have to say I did it but it was 3 years ago, and then I'll just see I suppose.

Thanks for all your support guys! :)

ElizabethJane
05-12-10, 18:13
Hi I have just read your story 100% and I know of many friends who have self harmed. I hope that you are able to put all that behind you, difficult I know. There might be some dermabraze treatment with lazers available but it is costly? I was served by a girl in a shop recently she had self harm scars on her arms but it did not stop her doing a good job. Take care. EJ.

99% dead inside
06-12-10, 08:03
Thanks EJ, I don't have the money for laser treatment at the moment but I suppose the good thing is my scars are on my upper arm, out of view if I have clothes on. I have some on my hand but they've kind of faded so I think I can get by that.

Thanks for your support. :)

scaredstiff695
17-03-11, 17:08
hi.
im ex forces and my hubby is stil in i developed anxiety in the army and i didnt get much treatment (they were useless lol)
i think you have two choices
1) sit and wallow and think will they take me wont they take me then not apply and never no OR

2) go apply what on earth have you got to lose

i do no they are strict and people are being asked to make themselves redundant but i alsp no they want fit soldiers so i recon as long as you apss all the fitness tests and the mental tests and their doctor rules you clear then you will be.

PLEASE GIVE IT AGO OTHERWISE YOU WILL ALWAYS LIVE IN WHAT IF AND THATS THE WORSE WAY TO LIVE XXXX

scaredstiff695
17-03-11, 17:09
forgot to say my hubby is at a training regt as a trainer would you like me to pick his ear and ak for you see if he knows anything or can find out discreetly?

shinderuko
17-03-11, 18:06
Maybe you should go to your local Army Careers Office and ask them there whether or not it would hinder you getting in?

PoppyC
18-03-11, 15:07
Hi
It looks like the person who posted this thread originally, is now a removed user.

shie08
22-03-11, 00:40
If you were to join, you would be sent overseas most likely afghanistan or iraq. You can go for a surgery to removed your scars. There are lots of available technology nowadays. The only problem is it's kinda too expensive but it will help you enter military.

davidwozere
07-03-17, 23:15
Yeah, I know they're a bit choosey these days... Well I aren't on any medication, so that's good. My scars are easy to see, so I'll just have to say I did it but it was 3 years ago, and then I'll just see I suppose.

Thanks for all your support guys! :)
so did you get in?

Fishmanpa
07-03-17, 23:42
so did you get in?

This member hasn't been part of the forum since 2011. I'm afraid you won't get a response.

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
08-03-17, 10:09
so did you get in? Hi It's a very old thread, how ever if you click on the username and then click on Contact there is a email directly to him, or start you own new thread HTH :) Cheers