PDA

View Full Version : Tampons or pads? (one for the ladies)

Lissy43
01-12-10, 11:28
I posted last week about my phobia of my periods this year since a D&C operation that left them abit heavy. I now look at them with such a fear of bleeding to death, it's scary and I don't rest until it has totally stopped, which takes a week.

People keep telling me I should try tampons as it will stop teh gushing sensation and it may help my fear if I don't feel it coming out. That is what scares me, when I feel it gushing out after sitting/lying down, I think if that stopped I wouldn't be quite so scared.

The thing is as a child my mum told me not to use tampons, she made me an anxious person with regards to my health I guess. ALthough she doesn't worry about her health, I wasn't allowed to have certain foods, do certain things..... she said tampons would cause toxic shock and I have grown up as an adult petrified of them.

I did a little read last night and I scared myself really, but am desperate to help my fear, but will using tampons make my anxiety towards health alot worse.

Can anyone advise and tell me whether they use tampons or pads?

PokerFace
01-12-10, 11:33
I wouldn't worry about toxic shock, it only happens if you leave one in a REALLY long time, like a few days proberly lol. Just change it regularly and you should have no problems! :)

I've used tampons since I was 14 (I'm 20 now) and had no problems whatsoever. My mums used them for like 30+ years and she's never had toxic shock either, my sis uses them too and most my friends. Non of us have ever had toxic shock!

Tampons are much better imo, you hardly feel like you're on at all cuz you can't feel the blood coming out at all. xx

Lissy43
01-12-10, 11:36
Thanks for your quick reply:-)

I thought I would use them during the day and then at night use a pad.

I just really think it would help my phobia of the slight gushing I get as I end up dreading my periods every month, and I can't carry on like this:-( I have seen my GP and he has told me it is just a lining we shed, and some tiny blood vessels that detach from the lining cause some bleeding, but he says you cannot bleed to death from that at all, yet I still worry every single month, it's horrible:-(

PokerFace
01-12-10, 11:38
I know it's a bit scary when periods are heavy but it's true we can't die from it. Tampons in the day and pads at night sounds like a good idea, might help you a lot! Tampons arn't very dangerous at all, toxic shock is quite rare I think. xx

Lissy43
01-12-10, 11:49
Thanks Pokerface xxx

PokerFace
01-12-10, 11:50
Anytime :) xx

Hazel B
01-12-10, 11:56
Make sure you have enough iron in your diet too! Lean red meat is best with vitamin C as it heps to absorb.

Lissy43
01-12-10, 12:06
Thanks Hazel xx

Sweetpea6
01-12-10, 14:05
Larna,

I'm sorry this is making you so anxious.

I would suggest that tampons or pads isn't the issue, but actually the fear of bleeding itself? I found CBT really helpful- maybe you would too?

I suppose by thinking about using tampons to stop the gushing feeling you're trying to externally make yourself feel better i.e. treating the 'symptoms', whereas sorting out the fear itself will stand you in good stead for life.

In the meantime, TSS is extremely rare, so don't worry if you do decide to use tampons. Hope things pick up for you :)

steph2412
01-12-10, 14:09
hiya, ive been suffering with bad periods since my son was born 2 years ago, since he was born ive had 2 have quite a lot of treatment down below so i only use pads now, but i am trying to use tampons again but although it sounds silly it seems a big decision 4 me!i used to use tampons b4 and i was fine never had a problem but gp with what you feel comfortable with yourself xxx

alicegreen
01-12-10, 14:52
i have used a mooncup for tye past 12 years. it is comfy and reliable and no risk at all of TSS.

Ella_Jayne
01-12-10, 15:42
As long as you change your Tampon every few hours then your chance of TSS is almost non existant. It is so so so rare, please don't worry about it. I've used Tampons for the last 10 years and they are a God send in my opinion, for many reasons, one being comfort.

Take care

xxx :)

Lissy43
01-12-10, 16:12
HI,

It is the actual gushing that scares me, I think I could cope with the bleeding better if i wasn't gushing, if that makes sense, so I thought tampons may help me get over that abit.

I am waiting for my CBT to come through at the moment, I have had it before so I am having top up sessions.

Larna,

I'm sorry this is making you so anxious.

I would suggest that tampons or pads isn't the issue, but actually the fear of bleeding itself? I found CBT really helpful- maybe you would too?

I suppose by thinking about using tampons to stop the gushing feeling you're trying to externally make yourself feel better i.e. treating the 'symptoms', whereas sorting out the fear itself will stand you in good stead for life.

In the meantime, TSS is extremely rare, so don't worry if you do decide to use tampons. Hope things pick up for you :)

Lissy43
01-12-10, 16:13
THey look quite big, but I did consider them, lol!

Are they as big as they look;-)

i have used a mooncup for tye past 12 years. it is comfy and reliable and no risk at all of TSS.

Lissy43
01-12-10, 16:17
Thank you all so much for your advice, I really appreciate your support.

Sweetpea6
01-12-10, 17:07
Glad you're getting some CBT- good luck with it, you can beat this.

Lissy43
01-12-10, 20:50
Thanks you Sweatpea, I really hope I can, but I need to face this period this month and think of it differently, just like I used to. I never used to worry until this last 12 months, it's so frustrating, but only I can change my chain of thoughts.

Rachel W
01-12-10, 21:12
I was really worried about using tampons for the longest time, I don't even remember wy, but I have always had heavier periods. Once I started using them I never looked back. My periods are heavy enough that I use a tampon and then put a thin maxi on too.

Just make sure that you wash your hands before putting one in to reduce bacteria and use the absorbency that best fits your needs at that time. Everyone here is correct, TSS is VERY rare, but because it can very occasionally happen they have to put it on the warning label.

You will be fine and it will make you feel better.

Lissy43
01-12-10, 22:50
Thanks Rachel. I really hope it helps my fear and doesn't actually cause me to worry more about TSS.

Rachel W
03-12-10, 02:46
One more thing, tampons have been approved for overnight as well now, which means for 8 hours, so don't feel that you have to change them every few hours. If you change them too much and they are dry when you pull them out, it can be hard to put the next one in and you have to wait awhile. What I usually do is us them for the first three days. If you find that you are lighter then use a smaller, less-absorbant tampon. Another thing is relax when inserting and also pull the string once it is in as this helps it absorb better rather than blood leaking past.

Sorry if this is TMI but it is stuff that I learned on my own, but good to know.

alicegreen
03-12-10, 03:53
THey look quite big, but I did consider them, lol!

Are they as big as they look;-)

They look big, but you squash it in half then in half again to insert it, then rotate to open it up. I found that after having children tampons felt too uncomfortable, but I never even notice that I am wearing the mooncup.

Also, you would see that what you lose in reality is not all that much blood.

When I got mine they were offering a money back guarentee after 3 cycles if you didnt get on with it, so maybe worth a try?

I would never go back to pads or tampons!

Good luck

Lissy43
03-12-10, 06:54
I have ordered one. I shall let you know how I get on, lol!!

I'm just scared I won't be able to get it out, lol!!

Lissy43
03-12-10, 06:56
Thanks for your help Rach.

sophie84
03-12-10, 07:48
Hello, i used to suffer with my periods really badly and the doctor put me on cerazette, which is a mini pill. I was just thinking that it may help as you dont have a period at all, and i have found it works and I havent had any side effects

hope this helps :) xx

Lissy43
03-12-10, 09:46
Thanks. I tried the pill, it worked but gave me headaches.