PDA

View Full Version : panic attack while asleep

molly36
01-12-10, 16:03
hi i am 36 and suffered panic attacks for 2o years but over the last few years they have been happening at night time while i am asleep. a few nites ago i woke up about 3am and my heart was racing the first feeling i had was i could feel it in my throat .My pulse was 145 per/min i starte to sweat and felt i couldnt catch my breath.I tried for 30 minutes to get it down but it wouldnt calm down as i was so scared the fear was prob keeping it up too .I called a ambulance and they came out my bp was 170/112 then fell to 160/105 .my pulse was 155 when they got here, they told me to blow hard while i closed my nose an mouth and that seemed to bring it down to 120 ,then it started to come down to 90 .Then i felt better so it came right down.They gave me a heart trace an said it was panic attack again.Then last night i woke up an it was doing the same 145 beats and i was sweating i got in a state but this time i did what they told me to do blow hard with my nose and mouth closed and it worked.These attacks usually only happen to me every few months but lately they are happening all the time .The last time i had a ecg done was about 3 months ago an that was during a attack an they also said it was a panic attack.I have been very stressed and anxious lately but why is this happening in my sleep i am now scared to sleep .Is this dangerous and also why does the blowing hard with mouth closed and nose make the heart slow down.thank you kind regards molly

eloelo
01-12-10, 20:08
Hi Molly
I sympathis with you, i also get night panics, and usally wake up at silly o clock with them, my heart pounds and i panic like crazy. I hate getting them at night because it is dark and everywhere is so quiet. I have never heard of of blowing with your mouth and nose closed, might be worth me remembering that one.
I have a routine now where before i go to bed i have a herbal night time drink, i put on some relaxing or classical music and i use aromotherapy oils which are ready blended and apply to the soles of my feet, my back and chest. I cant say this is a magic cure but it helps slightly, failing that you could get some over the counter sleeping pills for now.
Take care, xx

daybyday
01-12-10, 20:12
The bearing down is called the vagal maneuver.
If you can find RLR on this site or his site Heart Palpitations, I am sure he would be glad to explain it. Hope you find the help you seek.

molly36
01-12-10, 20:46
Has anyone else tried the vagal maneuver (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1I7PCTC_en&&sa=X&ei=IrD2TK3EMorRhAew_tyCBg&ved=0CBYQvwUoAQ&q=vagal+maneuver&spell=1) while having a panic attack to slow heart rate kind regards molly

jothenurse
02-12-10, 00:20
They usually tell you to do that when you are having an SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). That would show up on your EKG, which by the sounds of it, it was sinus tachycardia, normal , but fast. But, if that works, that is great. I have tachycardia and was in the ER one time and they had me do that, but it didn't work. So, was given ativan and metoprolol to bring it down. I still get the rapid heart rates, but I try to calm myself and if I can do that, it slows down. I have had my rate up into the 160's. It is scary.

RLR
02-12-10, 01:15
Okay, the term is actually Valsalva maneuver and while the physiology of the Valsalva is fairly complex, it basically works by briefly restricting or reducing cardiac output and causes the heart rate and cardiac force to diminish. This action can be sufficient to break the cycle of SVT and similar events. The Valsalva is performed by closure of the glottis much like you would when straining to lift a heavy object or induce a bowel movement. Sufficient strain should be promoted for about 10 to 15 seconds maxium and then relax to determine if the desired result is evident. It should never be performed while standing, but rather only while seated or lying down. The forcefulness induced can interrupt the cycle of sinus tachycardia, or as mentioned earlier SVT and similar disturbances.

Panic thresholds that occur nocturnally are known as night terrors. Their characterization is very similar to those experienced while awake. They do, however, produce an added strain because the patient is often startled to the waking point and even more confusion and disorientation can occur.

The events are not dangerous. I would suggest that if they continue, you should discuss the prospect of a sleep study to rule out any possibility of apnea.

Likewise, if you are under sufficient stress and anxiety intense enough to induce frequent panic thresholds, then you should speak with your doctor about treatment.

You'll be fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

molly36
02-12-10, 09:14
Thank you all for your replies kind regars molly

Going home
02-12-10, 10:28
Can I also add to Rutherford's post that I read somewhere recently that night terrors, waking up in a panic with a racing heart can also sometimes be the result of low blood sugar...something that drops naturally while we sleep, and which apparently results in the production of more adrenaline which can lead to panic attacks. The article said it might be an idea to eat something before bed, nothing heavy just some toast or have a milky drink to keep the blood sugar levels from dropping to far. Sounds like an easy solution but it might work and worth a try.

Anna xx

molly36
03-12-10, 11:53
Hi thank you for your reply i had my blood sugar checked during the panic attack and it was 5.6 so it was fine.i really am at the end of my tether .Just so tired kind regards molly