PDA

View Full Version : can chocolate cause palpitations?

giddy
19-03-06, 12:36
Hi
I'm sure I've read somewhere that sugar can cause palpitations/ectopic beats. Now whenever I eat chocolate (however small an amount) I'm getting palps/ectopics (not sure which, but feels like fluttering and very strong beat). Is it the chocolate causing this or me causing it, thinking I'll have a palpatation and so I do? The feeling lasts 15 - 20 mins after eating choc.
Thanks

florence
19-03-06, 15:09
Chocolate has a certain amount of caffein, so if you're sensitive to caffein, maybe that's what it is?

Florence.

*** Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.***

Meg
19-03-06, 16:30
Yup totally possible either through sugar, caffiene or just sensitive to it right now.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

jodie
19-03-06, 17:07
hi
i get eptopics and choc dose set mine of but a lot of it i think is that when you have had an eptopic when you havebeen eating choc you get it into your haed that you will every time a lot of it is mind over matter well i think it is for me .
i get them just talking about them most of the time they are nasty and set of a lot of anxiety

jo xx

giddy
19-03-06, 18:15
Thanks for your replies - guess its time to cut back and see what happens
Helen

Rachel Hughes
20-03-06, 00:06
Def... get Palps after Choc and food but only when I am anxious.... hat egoing out for a meal because I know heart rate will fly up....just no one knows do they what we have to put up with !

april tones
20-03-06, 10:37
hi i had one with it last week! scared me into not having any but i tried it few days later and was fine xx

apriltones

agnesolden
13-01-10, 01:17
Strangely enough I have experienced palps lately and the last time was quite a few years ago, when it ws so bad I had the 2 hour monitor strapped to me and the result was clear no problem found, you have made me wonder if the chocolate I have stuffed over the last few weeks may be causing this ! agnes

sb001f8994
13-01-10, 13:59
Hi,
I would say definately. I was getting dreadful palps even when I didnt feel anxious and Im affraid I was a chocoholic! I gave up chocolate last January and although Im not completely palp free they're almost gone. I get the odd episode but tell them to get lost now! I do think not eating chocolate has helped greatly. I read that white chocolate does not contain caffeine as its has no cocoa solids in it, which contain the caffeine. Ive not tried the white chocolate as Im scared if I do I will imagine myself into palps!!!
Coffee, tea and some fizzy drinks can also contain alot of caffeine but dont drink these either...Im a very good caffeine free girl these days!!!
Take care,
Carol x

Brunette
13-01-10, 14:45
I think there are additives in some chocolate which don't help either. If I eat too much cheap chocolate like Cadburys I get a funny head rush.

It has never happened with better quality chocolate, which is great news because now it means I know I can only eat the good stuff. Lindt, drool ... :)

White chocolate is fine, no caffeine - probably best to stay away from dark though.

smudger
13-01-10, 21:05
A friend of mine had heart palpatations from drinking a litre of cola every day (it was the caffeine). Guess choc can do the same. I get really depressed and excessively tired if I pig out on too much chocolate n yet I crave it!Strange!

Typer
14-01-10, 15:19
Life without chocolate, does not seem like life to me:)

I will try to not have any just to see if it helps and will report