PDA

View Full Version : been prescribed propranolol but got low heart rate

devonvicky
02-12-10, 13:39
Hi i was prescribed propranolol a few days ago but cant bring myself to take them,my dr gave me 40mg to be taken once a day in morning,i already take mirtazipine 30mg of an eve but find they arent helping my panic/anxiety attacks....ive read that it propranolol lowers the heart rate ive took mine and its never higher then 68 beats per min at rest,this to me is low and if i took this tab im sooooo scared it would bring it even lower...What shall i do im so worried and cant bring myself to take it...does anyone know how much it will lower the heart rate,need your helps guys!!!!! what if it lowers it so much that my heart stops!!!
thanks for listening guys xx

PokerFace
02-12-10, 13:42
I take 30mg a day and it doesn't really lower my heart rate at all. I usually sit around 84/88bpm with or without propranolol. All I've noticed is it makes my heart much lighter, I can't feel it unless I activley search for it.

I told my doctor I was worried about propranolol stopping my heart and he just laughed and said "no it doesn't work like that!" lool. :) xx

blueangel
02-12-10, 14:56
I agree with pokerface here. The dose of propranolol you've been given is actually pretty low (the maxiumum therapeutic dose is 240 mg daily) and it shouldn't make that much difference to your heart rate, if at all. What it will do though, is cancel out some of the adrenaline that's making you feel overloaded.