PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully the right person will see this ..

looking4answers
03-12-10, 00:35
First of all please don't ask me to go to the doctor..I have a really bad phobia of doctors and this would be last resort..

The reason I am posting this here is to see possibly is anyone else has ever had this problem.

25 years ago I fell off a ladder onto a concrete drain sticking up. It hurt for about a month and I never went to see about it.

Over the years I really couldn't sit on a hard surface because it would hurt rather mildly and never really thought about asking the doctors that i saw about it because it was never bothering me..

Well things with that area ..the coccyx or tailbone had been ok over the years until recently . I started riding bikes with my wife.

The first few days I rode I had a little pain while riding in my butt but over the years when you lose weight you don't expect to have a perfect ride but it usually quits after the ride..

Recently .. after riding .. my tailbone area felt as though it was tingling or
the nerves were jumping.. I didn't think much about it but then I started experiencing pain in behind the testicles and in the rectum and in the penis
and thought it might be prostate and then it quit. .

In the last couple of days I would get that twitching back in my tailbone..not sure this is nerves or what,but noticed it had something to do with the penis and rectum and scrotum pain.. Im not sure how this is all connected but I think it is..I have pretty much ruled out prostate since nothing makes sense and the pain and twitching went away for a couple of days and then came back together.

I just wonder if the nerves in my back are irritated and are causing random pains in my anus and scrotum and penis? It seems more likely and i have read that sometimes this is caused by irritation to the pendendal nerve that supplies blood and semen to the penis.

Anyway I cannot find anything about nerves twitching on the tailbone or in the coccyx area or nothing. All I can find is mostly about pain in the tailbone. I am not really experiencing pain as such in the tailbone but the twitching has something to do with the pain in the penis and rectum area..

When its not twitching im not hurting and visa versa. I have read and read and researched and cannot find anything that explains what is happening .

I do find lots of things saying go get an mri etc.. I don't want to do this if its minor and will go away.SO far the pain hasn't been umbearble but is annoying and uncomfortable.

Like I said I hope this is something that someone else has had problems with and can share some hope with me on it..I appreciate anything that can help and like I said please please don't tell me to go to the doctor..

Im only asking for someone who knows from working in medical or someone that has personally experienced something similar. Thanks in advance

Going home
03-12-10, 00:39
Hi again Michael...got no words of wisdom sorry but just wanted to say hi, its been a while, and sorry you're having problems, but you know the forum and that somone will know the answer.

Take care
Anna xx

looking4answers
03-12-10, 00:44
Thanks for your kind words..Michael

looking4answers
03-12-10, 03:09
Please don't let this post get buried like so many do.. going unanswered slipping away into oblivion every time a new post is made.Surely someone knows something here and will see it before it slips away

Anxious_gal
03-12-10, 04:49
I hurt my tail bone years ago , I still get pain now and again and stiffness. I dont have any experience with any of the symptoms you mention, my pain tends to travel up my lower back. I do get a lot of lower back pain from every day things like carrying shopping bags or spending too long on my feet. Could try accrupunture? Or heat ,
Where did you hurt the tail bone ? For me the impact was at the base of my spine, right on the end of the bone.

Anxious_gal
03-12-10, 04:54
I think the bike riding might have disturbed the nerves.

JaneC
03-12-10, 09:37
Michael, I'm sure someone else posted a thread similar to this very recently - pain in that area after cycling. Have a look for it x

blueangel
03-12-10, 09:40
I've never had this problem myself, but I know a couple of people who have had tailbone injuries and they seem to cause longterm problems. I assume it's because it's a hard. bony area that doesn't have much protection. I think also that there are a lot of nerve endings in that part of your body which can get damaged easily. It certainly sounds to me as though the bike riding has put pressure on an old injury.

ElizabethJane
03-12-10, 17:52
Hi I don't know the exact cause of your pain as I am not a doctor. About a year ago I had lower back pain and I went to see an osteopath who has helped my back pain considerably. He also noticed that I had injured my coccyx (an old injury resulting from a fall many years ago) My coccyx is fixed in one position and will not be cured when I sit down so sitting for long periods it is quite uncomfortable. I also know that you can have referred pain in other areas apart from the original injury. My coccyx will never be 'healed' but what I did find helpful was 'cranial osteopathy' where my coccyx was cradled in the therapists hands and gently moved. This only must be performed by a qualified therapist. It has helped my pain cosiderably. EJ.

BubbleBonce
03-12-10, 19:41
Personally I swear by a Chiropractor. I am hypermobile anyway and my joints are very easily displaced. I have numerous aches, pains, twitches etc cured by manipulation.It's certainly worth a try and I doubt anything would be seen on an MRI - as has been my experience with similar things.

Bubble

looking4answers
04-12-10, 01:42
Mishel I fell on the lower back..just above the ass crack..But the pain seems to be radiating from the lowest part..The odd thing is it comes and goes..For two days it was gone completely and then came back.Sometimes during the day it doesn't hurt at all.I appreciate everyone's help here and thanks for trying to comfort me.I did do a broad search on different things as you suggested but the people posting never really came back and said what the problem was. Thanks anyway and it helps to know someone is reading my post.Michael

Going home
04-12-10, 02:04
I agree with Mish...the origional injury from the fall seemed to heal until you started to ride a bike, and anyone who has ever ridden a bike for the first time since childhood will know exactly how painful it is, and that's without having a problem with the tailbone to start with! It sounds like you thought you had recovered from the fall but riding a bike means pressure on all of the areas you talk about Michael, so it sounds like the nerves in those areas are still a bit traumatised maybe. I know you don't want to go see a doctor, so all I can say is...don't ride the bike again sorry, and give these parts of your body time to recover again. Its maybe always going to be a weak spot for you since the fall, but hey...not riding a bike isn't the end of the world, there are plenty of other things you can do together to keep fit without putting added pressure on this part of your body.

Take care
Anna xx

Anxious_gal
04-12-10, 02:04
when you first hurt you back, did you find it very painful to fully straighten your back?
I did, it was when I was a kid but I remember the pain as if it were yesterday,
I'm assuming the pain is linked to the old tail bone injury.
"Causes of coccyx pain, A fall or direct trauma to the base of the spine.
Repetitive strain or overuse, particularly from cycling or rowing.
Muscle spasm or tightness in the pelvic floor muscles, gluteus maximus, prirformis or adductor magnus muscles. This pain is often distinguished as is eases when sitting rather than getting worse."

if the pain gets too bad I hope you will be able to see someone about it.

looking4answers
04-12-10, 02:16
No I don't remember it feeling like that.I just remember that the pain really hurt a lot if anything touched it.Although it was still hurting I kept going and it finally went away.Now days and in the past 25 years it would hurt if I sat on a really flat hard surface.. such as concrete or a really hard flat chair .. also when constipated ..sorry I had to say it but its a part of the symptoms.. From what I have read that is pretty much classic coccyx symptoms..But then it makes me worry that maybe its my prostate but I don't have the classic symptoms of that but I know there is a connection to the things I mentioned in those areas because they only bother me when the nerves are jumping in the coccyx area or whatever is moving back there. It makes me feel good that you all are trying to help..Its probably irritation from riding the bike.. Also RLR said that it could cause the feelings I am having in a previous post but then again he said to go to the doctor.Like I said I don't want to do this and was hopeful someone else may have had these issues on here.I have checked the post on the coccyx and also tailbone and such and not really found anything definite . Michael

Going home
04-12-10, 02:23
It could be because the forum is mostly for people with anxiety and depression rather than actual physical problems Michael. You might be better looking into other forums that can advise you on the injury you have.

Anna xx

looking4answers
04-12-10, 02:37
Hi Anna

You would not believe the people that have old tailbone injuries and I have checked a few places..Sorry Anna if I have posted in the wrong place but there is always a chance that maybe someone has experienced what I have and well I was hoping.. Although its not anxiety it sure causes anxiety and well thats why im here.. just like the rest of you.. It was just a chance that someone else has had this.I see post on the prostate and the tailbone and real medical problems here that other people have and it causes anxiety so there..

Going home
04-12-10, 02:51
Ok I understand, and did you read my last post about the bike riding? Its frustrating I know when its something you want to do but maybe the fall created more of a permenant injury than you thought and the bike riding confirmed it. I have a 22 yr old daughter who damaged her knee in the gym about 5 years ago, the knee did recover enough to make walking and running normal again but if she goes to the gym she has to be very careful about which equipment she uses. A physio' has told her it will probably always be a weak point for her and she has to accept this, so at 22 years old she knows what she can do and what she can't do. It could be the same for you maybe. The coccyx is the base of your spine and its only natural that riding a bike would aggravate it if you had an injury there. Its a very sensitive area. I guess I would only be anxious about it if there was pain without the previous injury, but there is a reason for the pain so why are you so anxious?

Anna xx

looking4answers
04-12-10, 02:58
Hi Anna,

You know you are probably 1000 percent correct..At 56 .. I forget I can't do somethings that I used to do and get away with it. Like about four months ago I hurt my foot.. Something really weird..I had sandals on and they got wet at a pool and were slipping and sliding around and caused a flair up of an old injury where a horse had stepped on that foot lol >>really did. My wife reminded me that it takes longer at our age to recover from things like that.To get to my point. It was an innocent thing that aggravated it and took three months to completely heal. Through all of this I was looking up gout and this nnd the other for solid three months..Overall it was only irritation from the old injury. I think that maybe my bike riding days are over unless I can come up with something that I can do about the pressure on the coccyx.I have to just realize that at my age.. old injuries can and do flair up and cause problems and it takes longer to recover than they use to.Thanks for the no nonsense talk and I think that all though my wife has been telling me this over and over ..it takes someone else to knock some sense into you .Thanks again.Michael

Going home
04-12-10, 03:13
Michael, i'm in my 50's too so I know what you mean. We would like to be the people we were when the Beatles or The Eagles were around but sad as it is, we of the Hip and Happening generation have ended up being old...what can I say? listen to your wife :D

Anna xx

looking4answers
04-12-10, 03:15
lol.. yeah most days you ask someone about some Beatles song or Eagles and they will say WHO? lol

Going home
04-12-10, 03:21
Our generation made it happen for all of the generations to follow...stop wearing our jeans I often shout at my kids! but Levis apart we have to eventually accept that our bodies cannot keep pace with our spirit, such a shame but it is what it is lol! Ok we're not old, but we are middle aged and that's on the way to being old..but we still rock yeah?

Anna xx :D

looking4answers
04-12-10, 03:31
Yeah...Its funny.. Never prepared for 56 never thought I would make it.. and then again .. my spirit forgets im 56 and well I end up with what this started with lol.An old injury .. tee hee.. And yes as bad as I hate to admit we do rock.. lol

LucyR
04-12-10, 04:15
I fell off a wall while trying to pick raspberries many many years ago, as I fell off a dyke when it was thunder and lightening, I slipped. I remember I couldnt ride my bike home as it was so painfull. I had pain in that area, the coccyx for many years even sometimes from just sitting. Thankfully it has now gone, so if you just try to avoid anything that aggravates it ie cycling may not be your best bet for a hobby.

looking4answers
04-12-10, 04:22
:-(((( Its such a nice hobby and we just got new bikes.. :-(( but you are probably right.. guess if it goes away while im resting ,its best not to try again..Oh well .

Groundhog
04-12-10, 10:38
Clearly the deep routed message in this thread is that you are getting older and find you can’t do the things you did twenty years ago! That happens at any age, for instance most sports stars are past it by the time they reach thirty, and I ‘retired’ from my job as a motorsport mechanic at forty, the list is endless but in reality there are literally millions of people, some younger than you, that wish they could do half of what you do.

On to the cycling, I’m fifty three and a keen cyclist despite a knee injury. Before you give up are you sure you have the bike set up correctly? 90% of the cyclists I see out on the road do not and i would be very surprised if they did not have aches and pains after a ride, I can’t stress how important this is. My advice is go to a GOOD cycle shop and explain your predicament. They should be able to suggest ways to alleviate or even eliminate your discomfort – gel saddles, support clothing etc etc

Going home
04-12-10, 10:40
Or maybe there is a special cushioned seat that you can fit to the bike? There must be other people with this problem so perhaps the manufacturers have designed a seat to ease the pain? Might be worth asking someone about it, seems a shame to give it up altogether.

Anna xx

Going home
04-12-10, 10:41
I think me and Groundhog posted at the same time about more or less the same thing sorry! :)

Anna xx

looking4answers
04-12-10, 22:07
Hi Groundhog...Was going to say ..I just got a schinn no pressure seat and my wife is going to customize it with foam and sheepskin..Hope that helps..I surely don't want to give up cycling but if I must I suppose I will. Yes about the things I can do..I guess I seem so ungrateful for the things I have and can do. .and feel a little ashamed at what you said about others wishing they could do half of what I can. Ill try to remember what you said and do accordingly and try to work this out. I don't want to quit.. and will keep trying. Thanks for your insight and to you Going Home for your kind words and thoughts. Michael