PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram

lady emmie
20-03-06, 11:36
Hi all!

Ive been taking Citalopram for about 2 weeks now (20g) but not really feeling any better..How long does it take before it kicks in?

Would love to chat to other people on Citalopram

Emma [:X]

trac67
20-03-06, 14:21
Hi Emma,

I was on citalopram for 7 years and I would say it took 4 - 6 weeks before the full effects of them took place.

You should start to feel the benefits of them soon mate.

feel free to pm me if you need a chat.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Robertc160882
20-03-06, 15:27
Hi Emma,

I have been on them now for around 3 weeks I would say you notice the benefit by week three although the full effects I think is by week 4 or weeks 6. I hadn’t really went anywhere other than locally but did manage last night to go over to my sister over 15 miles away from my house. I know it doesn’t seem far but with our condition it was a long way to go in a taxi but no panic and felt completely normal the whole way there.

The meds will kick in soon you are probably just getting over the side effect part of the meds but it will kick in soon honest. If you need to ask any questions pm given I’m on them just now and only started a week before you I may be able to offer some insight.

Although we all react differently to meds there is often patterns in everyone with certain meds so you will find someone on this site who is experiencing the same as you.

Robert

chop
20-03-06, 15:30
I am on Lexapro which is a refined (but same drug) citalopram.

I still have some problems but it does work for me.

It didnt take long to get effect but then it dropped down a bit at week 4-5 and I got demotivated but it is coming good again now.

I guess we have to stick to it.

Also, I am adjusting dosage myself (talking to dr too as I do) as only you can find the right dosage etc. Remember there is no textbook amount right for each person and I am glad my new dr knows that and said tweak it yourself (within reason).

Put it this way, you are on a drug that many have had success with, with no real side effects often.

Also, dont forget that after many many weeks if it doesnt work for you, then its scary but try another one. They are the same meds but some dont work for you.

I went thru a few to find the right one.

Chop

Learning to under react

Two heads
20-03-06, 16:46
Hi!Ive been taking citalopram for about two weeks and im not really any better yet,but like Robert said its taken two weeks for side affects to go!Im still very tired on them still,hopefully that will pass.xx

dizzielizzie
20-03-06, 17:03
Hi there, I'm new on here, and I thought it might help me and others to know what were going through.

Well its my first day on citalopram (just the 10mg to startn off with) and the nausea is horrible. I tried fluorexitine a year and a hlaf ago, and had side effects though, but nausea is new to me (lets hope my appetite decreases!)

I'm going to stick through it though until I start feeling some benefits and get better, hope you lot do too, good luck!

All the best peeps!

Lizzi xx

euanliverpool
20-03-06, 22:00
hi guys,

does anyone suffer binge drinking and is on citalopram 20mg?

E

Two heads
21-03-06, 10:25
No havet had adrink with them yet,but i no i could do with one!Just giving myself time to get used to them,if i ever will!x

dizzielizzie
21-03-06, 17:36
OK I must have a crap brain or something because I've been high as a kite since yesterday (my first dose and only 10mg)
To be honset I am sensitive to any drugs even antibiotics.

I can only describe the feeling as when youv'e taken an e and the night has ended but your still awake and wired and can't really do or think to the best of your ability!!!

No nausea today or crying!! FAB!!!

Two heads
21-03-06, 17:53
Your write with the thinking,i havet thought clearly since i have been on them.Just as long as the bad thoughts go i will be happy!x

Two heads
22-03-06, 19:57
God what aday!My head is spining all afternoon.I was dizzy the frist week then it went and now im dizzy again on the thrid week.What is going on up there?I was begining to feel good.The dizzy feeling brought on panick in woolworths,but i managed to control it.Hiw is everybody else today on this strange drug?

dizzielizzie
23-03-06, 09:37
Oh my god, horrible day! (Well probably not for some people but with my anxiety and panic it is 4 me!)

Went to into university and got really paranoid when in a class because 2 of the girls in the group were being funny about the topic we had to work on as a group, the tinyest of negativity in the same room as me freaks me out so I swore and just left the class to calm down. But I really needed to be in that class, but if I'd stayed I would have cryed!!!!

Then last night I lay in bed crying and panicking over every little thing. And I mean everything. I worry that friends don't like me, or bitch about me or feel sorry for me, I feel lonely, I worry about the way I look, my health, if I'll pass my last six months at uni, if I'll pass and be a good nurse, or will this panic and anxiety and paranoia and depression make me like this forever.

I want to go out with friends but panic when I do, or I feel ill before I go so I stay in instead!!!!

Citalopram since Monday, and I can't sleep, or concentrate and I'm irritable and dizzy (well I've kind of always been like that, but this time its doubled!!!)

I just need hugs all the time, panicking, bloody hate this feeling!!!

mandie
23-03-06, 09:50
Hi dizzielizzie

The first couple of weeks on citalopram i was so tired but couldnt sleep. I felt sick and spaced out and even had the worse ever panic attack. Doctor told me to stick with it and it would pass. Glad to say it did and after about 4 weeks i started to feel fine.

stick with it, it will pass.

mandie x

mandie
23-03-06, 09:51
Hi dizzielizzie

The first couple of weeks on citalopram i was so tired but couldnt sleep. I felt sick and spaced out and even had the worse ever panic attack. Doctor told me to stick with it and it would pass. Glad to say it did and after about 4 weeks i started to feel fine.

stick with it, it will pass.

mandie x

Two heads
23-03-06, 10:05
Hi dizzielizzie!You sound just how i did the frist few weeks of taking them,its not nice i know.But i do think we should stick with them a little longer.The drug seems to really heighten things for the frist few weeks,that should calm down.Its my third week on them,i still feel spaced out and dizzy which has been scareing me[ie the panick in woolworths].But i do think i have had some really good days where i almost feel the old me again!xx

dizzielizzie
23-03-06, 10:22
Thanks Madie and Bong!

Just stressing and worrying, I will stick with it, as I can't cope without them at the moment anyways!! Do you ever get aches all over by the way (I've had this before I started taking anything! and I've worried about it for years!!!)

Lizzie x

mandie
23-03-06, 10:51
hi lizzie

I am always aching! Before i went on the tablets my back and chest ached and my knee.

Even on the tablets i still have the occasional aches. I just put it down to muscles tensing because im anxious

x

Alexandra
23-03-06, 11:03
HI Lizzie

It is common as Mandie says & it will pass. Ive had aches too.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Two heads
23-03-06, 11:57
Yes me to!sometimes the aches and pains send me off into panick mode.Having problems with my lower back at the moment,i was driving last week and it was that bad i had to pull over.Of course i have been worrying about that now.Went to an osteopath twice last week and it feels alittlie better now.Must try and let the positive thoughts over ride the negative!!!

Peru83
23-03-06, 13:29
Hi guys, I have been on Citalopram for a year now and at first I was on 20mg and now am on 30mg.

here is post that I put up when I first started Citalopram, might help or might put you to sleep lol.

A sense of relief (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4070)
Is it possible to be this paraniod about nothing?! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4176)

Take Carexx

Claire

ecb
29-07-09, 16:16
i have been taking 10mg for about 6 months and now and started to feel the benefits so was just reducing down to 5mg (half tabs). Then my bf split up with me and i am now in my 4th week of half tablets and i feel dreadful. my head and body dont feel attached. feel totally spaced out and not with it all the time. also feeling the anxiety creeping back. for anyone who has come off them, do you think i should put my dose back up, stick with what im on, or come off them altogether?

Caroline761
15-03-13, 00:42
Hi today is my first 20 mg citalopram and I have never felt so sick
I have been trying to eat little and often which helps but does t last
Long. After reading how long the nausea can last I'm not sure I can take
the next one tomorrow. I'm not sure I can work feeling so sick any other ideas
To cope with the nausea would much appreciated.
Thx
Caroline

Sunshine77
15-03-13, 08:41
It took about a month for me to start to feel the effects of them, and about 6 weeks for the side effects to fully go away. Stick with it, and keep talking to your GP x