PDA

View Full Version : Heaviness on one side

Jules31
09-03-04, 12:03
With my anxiety, I've always had weak legs but over the last few weeks, I've been noticing that I've really been suffering with heaviness on my left side.

I get the feelings in my left leg, left arm and sometimes in the left side of my head/face. They can be altogether or just in one area, though the feeling in my leg is there pretty much all of the time.
It's not really like a numb feeling because if I touch an area, I can feel it. It's more like my limhs are really heavy and sometimes stiff. Although I can lift them, they feel hard to lift sometimes. At first I thought it was a cramped muscle in my leg because when I had it a few months back, just the once, the muscle felt tight. This time it doesn't particularly unless I tense it.

Anyone else get this, please tell me it's that dragon anxiety again.

I've still got all my other symptoms but am working on them as much as I can. I'm still going to CBT and relaxing though not really doing as much exercise as I should. On top of that I've just set my wedding date for next year and so really do have the impetus to try and get better because I really don't want to feel like this on the day

Hope you are all well

Jules

red
09-03-04, 13:07
Hi Jules
Congratulations on the wedding!!! What date have you set for it? I need to know so that I can dust my hat off!!!

I feel that is anxiety that is causing the feelings - because that's how they particularly work, isn't it? I think also that when we have sensations like this, we tend to compensate and sit / stand in a way that makes them feel less and so bring on yet another 'symptom' in the process! You already know that exercise will help! It has enormous benefits for the muscles.

Well done with the continuing CBT and relaxation and for letting us know what is going on with you - it really helps others as well as helping you.

Take care

Red
x

Meg
09-03-04, 14:28
Dear Jules,

Congratulations for several things ...!!

Of course your wedding - that's great that you feel you can get that organized now.

Also because you sound an awful lot calmer today. Your definately doing something right . Has hypotherapy helped or CBT making some changes ?

Testing and reassuring yourself about the strength of your limbs may help. Can you grip tightly, can you push your feet against a wall and feel the strength ? Can you hold the dogs lead when she's pulling ? Heaviness alone isn't a concern at all.

How are the headaches ?

Really pleased to hear you that much more positive today .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Jules31
09-03-04, 14:34
The wedding is 16th April

My left leg has got lots worse over the last few hours. It felt as though I could hardly lift it when I went out to get a sandwich and I feel all off balance. It really is horrible. The thigh muscle in particular feels heavy and weak

You can imagine all the horrible things that I have been thinking that I might have.

Jules

Meg
09-03-04, 15:02
Yes , I can imagine - but you're not . There is very little that can go wrong with a leg in reality. Stop imagining - start thinking realistically.

It may feel weak but when you test it - is it really weak?
I know you're a lightweight but it's still holding you up and not just to stand but still walking !

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Jules31
09-03-04, 15:27
Hi Meg

We must have been posting at the same time. I can still grip with my left hand, though it's not as strong as my right, though of course I am right handed. Think I can push my leg against the wall but can't try it now, cos I'm in the office and everyone would think I've gone nutty. I tried running up the stairs earlier and my leg definitely felt a lot heavier than the other one, but think I'm so conscious of it. The feeling has been easing and getting worse during the course of the afternoon. Sometimes it just feels as though my leg is all tight. I thought I was walking funny cos it feels strange but Dave says it looks normal

Talking of headaches I still have them most of the day. I've got a killer at the moment and it's making my dizziness/off balance feelings worse. the dr still thinks I could be getting migraines but I'm not so sure

The dr is also considering sending me for counselling since I eventually told him about all I went through with my Dad dying etc. He really thinks that is the catalyst for my anxiety and especially the fact that I find it hard to accept medical opinion. He spent nearly an hour with me a couple of weeks ago. Although Dave had been to see him previously to tell him how bad I was

I am trying to be a lot calmer but am still getting myself in some real states of course. The woman at CBT is great and is helping me see that I do worry a lot more about things other than just my health. Though of course I think I only worry about them cos of the way I feel.

I haven't been back to hypnotherapy yet cos I want to see how the CBT goes so I know if that works or not and of course the cost of both of them when I'm only working part time and saving for a wedding is crippling. The guy at hypnotherapy also seemed to be concentrating more on my panic attacks when it's the general anxiety, I want the help with. Also he really seemed to invade my personal space which really did give me the creeps a bit, so maybe I will look for someone else eventually

I still hope to start coming to yoga again eventually.

I haven't been coming to the site when I've feeling really bad because I didn't just want to moan.

I may be here tomorrow though because I have to go to Crown Court on my own for the first time tomorrow, so will no doubt be in a real state.

Anyway thanks for all the support

Love
Julie

sadie
09-03-04, 19:49
Hi Julie,

You do sound a lot chirper than last time I replied to one of your messages.

Congratualtions on your forthcoming wedding!! My anxiety started about 8 months before my wedding but to be honest I was so caught up with everything on my wedding day that I never panicked at all. In fact our minister said that my husband and I were the two calmist peole he had wed before!! I hope you feel the same on your day, dont let panic/anxiety ruin your day.

As for your headaches and the numbness/heaviness in your limbs...I get the exact same feelings when I have a migraine. Usually the heaviness is right down my right arm and leg but last week I had it down my left arm and leg but had a migriane on the right side of my head (confusing, I know). Anyway, these are very common symptoms of migraine so I really do think it could be causd by them. Your symptoms are so similar to mine adn I have been diagnosed with migraine..although going for a MRI scan next week just to rule everything out. You have already had the all clear haven't you?

Take care and keep up the CBT and hypnotherapy.

sadie

Meg
09-03-04, 20:55
Remember the nerves all cross over in the spine so Sadie , you're absolutely correct that a migraine on the right will manifest with symptoms on the left side .

Meg

Jules31
10-03-04, 09:45
If it is migraine then I have it nearly all day everyday and my headache is usually on the left hand side, well the left side of my head feels heavy and numb. Have it now. Sometimes get the aching though without a headache. Sadie I haven't had an MRI but did have an EEG last year so hopefully that is enough though didn't have these feelings then. I used to have migraines years ago but they never felt like this, guess that's why I#m sceptical. Meg can anxiety give you these feelings too?

Worked myself up this morning about having to go to court, got up early, came into work, only to find the court had been cancelled, oh well.

Take care everyone
Jules

Jules31
10-03-04, 09:46
forgot to say that have been taking meds to stop migraines for last three weeks but doesn't seem any better yet

Jules31
10-03-04, 09:50
My headache at the moment is actually all over, my whole head has started to feel heavy and hurts in my forehead and behind my eyes. Can you get migraines that aren't one sided?

Julie

Meg
10-03-04, 16:38
Yes you can get all over migraines .
It's possible yours are such a build up of tension coupled with migraine, Jules.

Meg

sadelaine
08-01-09, 08:46
Hi Jules, How are you? I know this message is coming 6 years after your post. How are things coming on healthwise? I have heaviness in my sides too and sometimes in my legs. I think for me its a circulation problem as years ago I remember that when I got off my bed I just fell into a heap - my legs were of no use to me. It never happened again though. I have terrible headaches too and pain behind the eyes. I am thinking all sorts of crazy stuff but trying to depend on the doctors - hope they can help. How is your marriage? You should be five years old today. All the best

mikeal
25-12-09, 11:14
hi everyone,

i have the same symptoms that u have since more than a year now heaviness on one part of the body it is on the left i feel the whole day heaviness on my left part of my head and arm and leg and as well sometimes severe pain in the arm or the calf and down the foot which is like a heart attack and shortness of breath i went to many doctors they did ct spine and ct scan head and nothing important one doctor told me it is trigger points and anxiety but i am not convinced i am left handed and i do most of my activities on the left and he said that's why it is trigger point still not convinced cause sometimes without doing anything i feel the heaviness and the pain and most if the time i feel it after exercise not during it i asked him if i have to go to neurologist and he said no necessary this pain is 24 hours and heaviness more than pain i was concerned it is my heart first and i did all the test required all the test but everything was normal this is getting me crazy i cant even enjoy my life or work or doing anything and always in a bad mood ,i am afraid to be something and the doctors dont know or it is nothing but anxiety but this confusion is killing me i need help to rule it out i do any test i am sure sometimes it is pain even when i am in a good mood the pain and mostly the heaviness doesnt go and how a trigger point in ur muscle can make u suffer for a year i am not doing heaviy things and why after exercise it is getting worse and back pain as well on one side just one side but still i can lift or do anything but sometimes the pain is so strong like i feel like i wanna pass away and as the people around me thinks sometimes i am overreacted i go to the bathroom and lock myself for not making anyone see me .i am 28 male educated ,good life ,emotionally stable beautiful fiancee,best family ever ,good work ,financially secure so why it is stress everyone has stress please someone help me please