PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Support Group

Robertc160882
20-03-06, 16:50
Hi,

I’m very interested in setting up some sort of Scottish support group as there is a distinct lack of resources north of the border. I would be interested to see if anyone can help with this and also if people feel it is worthwhile.

Your feedback is welcomed.

Robert

clickaway
20-03-06, 17:03
Hi Robert

Did you mean a self-help group? I know that panicdiva is planning something in her area here Would like to start up a local self help group (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8143)

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Spice
20-03-06, 18:24
Hi Robert,

I'm interested and I am up the Aberdeen way.

Spice
xx

Peru83
21-03-06, 09:15
I'm interested, I'm in Perth [^]

Take Carexx

Claire

Robertc160882
21-03-06, 11:18
Scotland Against Panic Plan

First Steps

The first steps of executing this plan, is to build a website with various particles of information both for sufferers, carers and health professionals. Given that I personally feel there is a lack of support for people with anxiety, panic attacks, ocd and depression I feel it is important to have such a website. There is also other uses for the website such as marketing support groups and resources available to sufferers and there carers.

The website may take anything up to 1 week to complete and will have a fully functional forum and chat room. The website will also have a section were people can do book swaps and information swaps. It will also support downloads of leaflets and e-books if there is any available.

(costs)

Set Up Costs

£4.99 Registration of domain name plus 17.5% Vat total figure of £5.86.

Years 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4

Month 1: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 2: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 3: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 4: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 5: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 6: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 7: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 8: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 9: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 10: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 11: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Month 12: 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p 0.99p

Total: £11.88 £11.88 £11.88 £11.88

The company that will be used for this is 99p host www.99phost.co.uk the proposed domain name will be www.scotlandagainstpanic.co.uk

There will be a section on the website for donations and we may look at other fundraising ideas to fund online counselling support.

Second Step:

The next part of this plan is to look at support group’s and telephone support for sufferers and there families. The website will provide a medium to target these people and will assist in developing a better understanding of our conditions.

Telephone helpine

The general idea is to recruit volunteers who will man a telephone helpline, which will be operated between 9am to 9pm. The telephone helpline will be a 0800 number, which can be redirected on to any landline or mobile. After each volunteer finishes there shift they will be able to transfer the line on to the next volunteer. A weekly rota will be drawn up and this will be done by sending a bulk email to all volunteers asking them to log in online and complete the time slot they can do. Once complete the rota will be then emailed out to all volunteers to advise who will be manning the lines.

Support group telephone conference

In addition to the telephone support line we will also look to set up a telephone conference once per fortnight. Given that a lot of sufferers don’t leave the house and maybe there geographical location may not be able to attend support groups I feel this is the best medium in reaching them. Again this will be headed up by one volunteer each fortnight and it is aimed at encouraging sufferers to share there experiences and re-build their confidence. If we make enough finance through fundraising there may be the possibility of getting a counsellor to come in on the conference calls.

Support groups getting together

We will also look at making monthly meetings for fellow sufferers, this can be held at peoples houses or at local hotels or other suggested locations. I feel that the telephone conference support will enable us to build up enough people to warrant local support group. If necessa

darkangel
21-03-06, 13:01
Hi Robert

Your business plan looks interesting but I do have a few reservations.

This is quite similar to what No Panic do: Telephone Support, Helpline, etc. Also website would be similar to this one !

How are you planning to recruit and train volunteers ? What training will they receive ?

There is also Breathing Space in our area for out of hours help.

In my area we also have a Crisis Line (Run by local mental health group and part of NHS funding).

I am sure you have done all your research but it seems quite a project you are taking on.

Hope it works out well.

Dark

........life is for living not just for surviving

clickaway
21-03-06, 14:27
I tend to agree with Dark on this one and wonder if you are duplicating what established people are already doing.

I do think the big hole in the voluntary support for sufferers is the one-to-one aspect of it all. I feel there are many people around who would love company and chats in person, as in support groups and meet-ups.

A few weeks ago I surfed the net for an anxiety support group in Sheffield and I couldn't find one even in a city of that size! And given the number of people on here are interested in meeting up, how many do so and if they do, how often?

Anyway, I commend your efforts and hope that whatever you achieve will be of benefit to those in need.

Cheers,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Robertc160882
21-03-06, 14:36
Thanks for all your comments the plan is not concrete and can be juggled. I think it is not duplicating but simply complemented what is already around. I respect your comments about people meeting up Ray that is why there would be conference call facilities.

I do think the website would be very much different from any other one because it would offer different services. It would also be more focused on regions and I do eventually aim to get charity status.

In terms of recruiting volunteers this would be done by placing an add on the radio, which I have already got agreement that they would do this for free. I imagine that we could reach volunteers through this medium.

I do appreciate that this is a big project but considering what people are suffering I think it will be both worthwhile for me and for other. I only hope to help others through this suffering and welcome any support that I can get from anyone.

Robert

darkangel
21-03-06, 15:24
Hi Robert

I do not want to sound negative but I was on the board of directors for my local mental health organisation for over 3 years. It is a well established organisation and it is funded by both NHS and Local council.
People get referred from GPs, psychistrists, etcs.

But trying to get the appropriate volunteers is extremely difficult and you will need funding to pay any "out of pocket expenses". It is an ongoing problem trying to maintain a good volunteer base. Volunteers also receive extensive training which is on-going.

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving