PDA

View Full Version : garden birds and wildlife

magpie girl
07-12-10, 19:13
Well with all the cold weather conditions ive been really worried about the wild birds this year.Like a mad woman ive been dragging myself across to the lake everyday with bags of old cereal and whatever i can find. The ducks moorhens and coots dont seem to be doing too well this year,the water is frozen over and there is no shelter anymore.Whats it like in the rest of the country and is anyone else out bird spotting xxx

paula lynne
07-12-10, 19:20
Hi Magpie, a friend told me yesterday we are going to loose an estimated 20% of our Robins this year, which is extrordinary as they are winter birds. I make sure I feed all the birds in my garden everyday, well done you going out in this cold everday x

baileys
07-12-10, 19:25
Ive been feeding the wood pigeons in my garden. All the little birds get the nut etc that people hang out for them but the bigger birds sometimes get forgotten.
They all line up on my fence in the morning waiting for there breakfast, my poor son didn't get any toast this morning because there wasn't enough for him and the birds:D he knows where the shop is!!!

ElizabethJane
07-12-10, 22:04
We are waiting for the redwings to arrive and eat all the berries from our lovely big holly tree. Now shall I promise some holly with berries to the Church or just wait.? It is a wonderful sight when they do come and they will. I want to go out on the marshes and hear the brent geese like last year. What a terrific sound they make. EJ.

jillyb
07-12-10, 22:12
It's costing a fortune buying all the food for the birds - but well worth it! Have recently joined the RSPB and have had some lovely walks at Arne, near Wareham. I feel so much better when I can get out and about in the fresh air - it was horrid being snowbound last week. It must be dreadful for the people in Scotland and the North.

Anxious_gal
07-12-10, 22:36
aw wish I had a lake, I used to live near a river and loved feeding the ducks.

I feed the birds in my garden but some times all that turns up is a bunch of sea gulls lol :-)

nomorepanic
07-12-10, 23:37
We can't feed the birds in the garden cos we have cats but we go and feed the ducks in the village most weekends. It was so sweet to watch them landing on the frozen water though - very cute.

ElizabethJane
09-12-10, 21:51
I tried to walk through Central Park again Monday but there was still so much ice and snow on the paths that I was 20 minutes late for my blood test. Two canada geese were stretching their necks and not really allowing any body past. Trying to circuit them by going on the grass was a mistake. The birds seem a lot more vocal and my N puts out lots of food for them and fresh water which often freezes. We have a very daft black adorable rescue cat who takes no interest in birds apart from growling at the collared doves and wood pidgeons which are frequent visitors to our garden. No sign of any redwings yet. Will keep you posted. EJ

magpie girl
10-12-10, 20:21
Today the lap wings arrived on furzton lake:D:D I had never seen one before untill i moved here 16 years ago.The lake seems to be thawing out a little now and it looks like the birds are walking on water!!!! Its no longer white with frost but i think it will take a while before the birds can swim in it.My kitchen stunk to high heaven this morning as i soaked 2 packets of chickpeas overnight and it filled a washing up bowl once they swelled up.I thought with all the cold weather i would try give the wildlife some much needed protien :yesyes::yesyes:But why do chick peas smell like eggy farts :scared15::scared15::scared15::scared15:

Tero
11-12-10, 13:57
The ducks have become nonmigratory due to food sources in cities. They find them in sewage ponds and other warm spots. But most ducks born last summer never make it through the first winter. Nature is cruel that way.

But feeding the ducks does no harm, the cities just do not want too many ducks in parks and the more you feed, the more stay there. They will eventually overbreed and move on to other lakes and ponds. No worries. Ducks will be here long after all people are gone, a couple of million years from now.