PDA

View Full Version : Faced emetophobia head on =|

HelenLouise
07-12-10, 23:08
Omg! To cut a long story short - I'm emetophobic and for the first time in 13 years I just threw up! I think it was a mixture of car sickness and lack of eating!
I'm in shock! I was panicking like no other but when it actually happened - it was nothing! In all honesty the nausea is worse than the actual throwing up part! ( never thought I'd here myself say that)
I just thought I'd share with all the emets that it really is ok! I know it never helps to hear anyone say it but I just wanted to let you all know!
I'm a bit confused as to how I feel now though! At first I was like "is that it? That's what I've wasted all this time being scared of?" but now I feel relieved but the fear is coming back. I'm scared it will happen again or that it will happen when I'm alone!
This is so confusing! Xx

paula lynne
07-12-10, 23:12
You did it! Not a pleasant thing, but as you say, the nausea is the worst. (I agree, Im nauseous for ages before Im sick during a panic, and its a relief afterwards)

If it ever happens again, or youre alone guess what...you'll handle it! Youve proved to yourself you'll be ok...you deserve a pat on the back. x

Mogwog
08-12-10, 10:02
Well done - I also suffer with this and liek you say, its the horrible build up and the nausea - the actual throwing up bit is not so bad - try telling me that when I next feel sick though:ohmy:

Well done

Laura.xxxxx

Nigel
08-12-10, 15:41
Hi HelenLouise,

Probably not the pleasantest way to overcome that fear, but well done for coping with it. And it wasn’t as bad as you thought, was it?

I think there’s a valuable lesson here – that the mind is supremely good at making some things feel a million times worse than they ever can be. So perhaps the secret is to not always trust it’s judgement, and ask yourself if what you’re thinking is ‘realistic’ or not.

Take care :)
Nigel

fairyclairy
08-12-10, 17:11
Omg well doneee!! :D

You've done so well - not only to actually face your fear and be sick, but to also rationalise it and realise its not actually as bad as we all think it is!

I was like that the last time i got sick with food poisoning.... the nausea is a hell of alot worse than the actual sick bit... during the time i was unwell, i was actually glad to be sick because it made me feel alot better getting it out my system!

I know we hate vomit, fear vomit and think its possibly the worst thing on earth that could happen to us.... but it happens for a reason and we've got to remember being sick is actually a good thing - it gets the bugs out of our system and makes us feel better!
I for one, always forget that... but i will replay it over in my brain when im panicking about it...

You've done so well, just try and keep positive and keep that fear away.. how are you feeling about it today? xx

Gemzy
10-12-10, 16:56
well done hun. big hugs!

HelenLouise
10-12-10, 21:08
Thankyou everyone =]!

Fairyclairy - I'm not as scared as I was, the idea of being sick still panics me but I only tend to worry it will happen after I've eaten loads or while i'm alone! Don't feel ready to vomit alone yet haha!
I'm glad in a way as now I know it's not this hideous thing I'd built it up to be but I think the fears a habbit I've got to break!
just hoping it won't be a regular occurance =] xxx

Haruka
16-12-10, 07:17
Oh man, I know what you mean, inside of my emetophobia, a mini fear is that I will be alone and have to vomit. But I have to agree, the actual vomiting isn't as bad as the build up.

Rocola
11-01-11, 18:28
I was sick for about 12 hours in the summer(every hour or so) for the first time in 9 years and it was horrible but yeah I was thinking 'why am i scared of this' and I had no anxiety while I was being sick (even though I was in public which is my biggest fear) but now its all over I'm back to being scared. I think my main worry is im always nauseous but I worry I won't know when I'm going to be sick??

chadders
07-02-11, 00:40
Hi Everyone, I have emetophobia, its taking over or should I say it hads taken over my life..
I am 35 and I act like a baby when I feel sick,,,,Idont want to be alone, I cry , I shake, I fear the humilation. I watch what I eat ( vegetarian) I panic if someone has a BUG (hate writing the word) Yet I try very hard to cover it up.
I cant let any one close ot me as i am embarressed by my fear.
THe last time I was sick was 4 yrs ago on a plane in a bag omg mortified, but i dealt with it, yet it is still a fear, the time b4 that was a good 18 yrs..
I panic more about the fear of it, its on my mind all the time.What if im sick here, where would i be sick, how would i cope, who would hold my hand.
Even writing this I know I sound mental
I chew gum, I eat mints, I am gooing insane with it.
I would lovve to have a baby, but as if!!!!
Anyway Im sorry I have released my nutty thoughts on you, be good to hear your thoughts xx

ajones473@yahoo.com
31-10-12, 10:53
I`d never let myself be sick no matter what!

ajones473@yahoo.com
14-12-12, 09:29
I can`t understand how someone with emetophobia could give way to their body & let it vomit, I believe that I need to be in control of my body as much as possible, & there is no way that I could imagine myself throwing up at all!