PDA

View Full Version : Took Diazepam but still had a panic attack!

dizzyman
08-12-10, 10:01
Good morning guys

My GP prescribed me diazepam for emergencies (2mg). I was feeling really anxious/panicky the other day as I had to attend my sons school play that evening, so I took 2mg during the afternoon and it seemed to calm me down. I started to feel a bit bad again as the effects wore off about 5 hrs later so I took another 2mg about 1 1/2 hrs before the play. The problem is that I ended up having a really bad attack which gradually built up during the play (sweating, light headed, feeling feint, agitated, sweaty palms) until eventually I really felt like I was gonna pass out and cause a big scene in the school hall. There was loads of people there and was very stuffy/claustrophobic. I had to make up some excuse that I had just missed an important call from a family member and that someone was in hospital (totally made up), just to get the hell out of there with minimum embarrassment. I then sat in my car for the remaining half an hour! I felt ok once I got out the situation. I did try to fight it but it got the better of me after about 30 mins.

My point is... I am extrememly worried if even diazepam wont help prevent an attack?! Or do I maybe need a slightly bigger dose?

Any help/feedback/advice would be great

All the best!

Dave x

paula lynne
08-12-10, 11:09
Hi Dave, I understand completely what youre saying. Sometimes, without us realising it, a panic is "too far along" and by the time we take the diazepam, it has little or no effect as the body is wracked with panic and anxiety.
What I would say is, dont increase the dose. Recognise next time that you should take it earlier. You will know this yourself when the time is right.
Best wishes, P x

dizzyman
08-12-10, 12:52
Hi Paula

CHeers for the advice. Will try that next time.

Dave x