PDA

View Full Version : Doseage increased - don't feel good. Please help!

mizfiesta
08-12-10, 13:54
Please can any of you reply quickly with some advice. I've been on 15mg of Mirtazapine since 23rd November (a little over two weeks) due to depression. My Doctor asked me to increase the dose to 30mg which I started on Monday night. Yesterday I spent most of the day in my bed as I felt so heavy and tired and my mood wasn't great - I was very irritable and couldn't be around anyone. Today my mood is worse. I feel like going to bed again all day! I'm experiencing stress today caused by a family member and I feel like crying. I was shouting and screaming on phone like a maniac a short time ago. I feel helpless and don't know what to do. Is this normal when increasing the dose? If so how long does it last? I'm at my wits end - any advice welcome.

haziefantasie
08-12-10, 16:01
hi mizfiesta

Im sorry I dont have an answer to your query, but Im interested to see what the responses may be and it might help you to know Im in a similar situation.

I started taking 15mg mirtazapine nearly 4 weeks ago on 11th November, mainly due to stress and anxiety and also my hair had started falling out. My doctor at the time said Id need to increase it to 30mg after 4 weeks, however I have since moved house so have had to change doctors. I went to my new doctor yesterday who said to continue on 15mg for another 2 weeks and see what happens, and Im a bit confused why. Ive actually seemed to get worse since Ive been taking them, since the weekend Ive hardly stopped crying and like you said Ive just wanted to stay in bed. Id be interested to know if anyone else got worse before they got better and if it makes any difference what doseage youre on xx

Vixxy
08-12-10, 16:23
Hi guys.
Basically the first few weeks on an AD will more than likely make you feel rough. So by upping your dose so soon after you started your body hasn't yet got used to the 15mgs. I would advise sticking with the 30mg though, the side effects will wear off soon. For each med I've tried it's been 2 weeks of feeling rough, then I start to improve daily. Upping a dose usually leaves me a bit out of it for 7-10 days, but its nowhere near as bad as the first few weeks.
As for side effects. Mirtazapine can and will make you feel groggy when you first start taking it. I would advise taking it at a reasonable time in the evening, so that the sedation is worn off by morning. I take mine between 9:30 and 10pm, and find that I can wake up at 8:30 with no problems. It's trial and error as to what time is best for you though.
I also suffer with the mood swings and irritability. I've always got on my high horse about things, but I've found since being on mirtazapine I can go from 0-fully annoyed in a matter of seconds. This feeling never really wore off for me, but its managable. Give yourself a few weeks on one dose and see if you notice a change in your mood.

mizfiesta
08-12-10, 16:48
Thanks for your reply Vixxy. I felt so wound up earlier. I've calmed down a bit now. I felt as if I was going mad earlier. As you advise, I will stick with it. I must admit I felt better than this last week when I was only taking the 15mg, but the doctor did explain that 30mg is the therapeutic dosage. The past few weeks I really feel like I've been on a 'mood rollercoaster' - it's been so changeable. I haven't slept as well in years with Mirtazapine but when my mood is low I am sorely tempted to go to bed and just escape into a dream.

ElizabethJane
08-12-10, 17:01
Hi Mizfiesta. There could be a number of things happening to you at the moment. I am taking 45mg mirtazapine at night. You are almost certainly suffering from the increase in your meds which should improve in a few weeks. It is important to allow the mirt to do its job so at the moment you are still feeling the worst of the depression plus the side effects of the increase. Some people do feel a rise in angry feelings whilst taking this drug. If things do not settle then I suggest that you go back to your GP. Hopefully you should still feel the benefits of the sedative effect of this drug. EJ.

mizfiesta
08-12-10, 17:19
Hi EJ, I have an appointment to see my GP next Tuesday. Several times today I picked up the phone to ask to speak with her, then replaced the receiver. I know it's only been two days with the increased dose and don't want to bother her without giving it more time to settle. Today was made more difficult as my teenage daughter was giving me a lot of cheek on the telephone and by text messages. I hadn't felt good anyway and any extra pressure when I'm feeling like this becomes unbearable. I guess I was hoping the increase in Mirt was going to be like a magic elixir and I would feel happier and I guess I didn't expect it to make me feel worse - especially so quickly. I notice I'm getting 'head shakes' to wasn't sure whether to attribute this to the Mirt or the fact that I was on Prozac before starting the Mirt. I wish I could wave a magic wand some days and make it all feel better.

ElizabethJane
08-12-10, 17:33
Have you been cross tapering from the prozac? That could definitely be causing the head shakes and funny feelings? Could you ring the practice and ask to speak to the nurse? EJ

mizfiesta
08-12-10, 17:42
No EJ, the GP had got me to decrease my dose of Prozac before I started Mirt. I also thought that maybe the Prozac may only be leaving my system now due to it's half life? My last Prozac was on the 21st November - just two days before starting the 15mg Mirt. That's only just over two weeks ago so I can may attribute the faint almost electric like sensations in my head due to the Prozac leaving my systems as opposed to the Mirt?

ElizabethJane
08-12-10, 17:52
Brain zaps definitely from prozac withdrawal although I am no expert. It might be worth posting on the prozac thread see what they think? Mirtazapine does not usually give brain zaps EJ.

mizfiesta
08-12-10, 17:58
The brain zaps are very familiar to me from times in the past I have stopped taking Prozac. I know that Prozac has a fair half life so chances are it will be that. Over two weeks since I've stopped them completely to :( It may well be worth me asking on a Prozac thread EJ just how long it'll take for the Prozac to leave my system x

steveh31
12-12-10, 12:22
I had brain zaps when i started Mirtzapine 15mg they stopped after about two weeks. I was pressured by doctor, medical referer and someone else to goto 30mg. As soon as i did I started feeling unwell and anxiety went through the roof I eventually had to leave work and goto emergency doctor who said go back to 15mg immediately, went back to my own doctor who said you did the right thing the increased dose is not agreeing with you go back to 15mg.

mizfiesta
12-12-10, 14:36
Steve I've felt bad all week. My emotions have been intense - anger, depression, irritability, feelings of absolute worthlessness, to name a few. Started feeling a bit more 'normal' yesterday and feel a bit better today. I was sorely tempted to contact the doc but had a feeling she would perhaps advise me to give it more time. It's been nearly a week now since I increased the dose. On the way to recovery? or will I be back on that hellish 'rollercoaster' this week? Time will tell x

tomc
12-12-10, 16:19
Hi, I started on 15mg of mirtazapine 2 days ago and now it feels like I've got the D.T.s and a hangover. Feel pretty dozy in the mornings and afternoons. Coming off escitalopram at the mo by 5mg each week. Feel like poo at the moment. Not really noticed the increased appitite as I'm always hungry anyway. Is this normal?

JT69
12-12-10, 16:23
Hi

All sounds pretty normal to me when starting out on mirtazipine. I changed from citalopram to mirtazipine and did have brain zaps for a while this was due to the fact I came off citalopram in 1 week and that was at a 40mg dose!!! Not pleasant at all!!! I did feel sleepy etc and hung over for a while until my body got used to it but it will pass and the benefits have made it all worth it!!!

Jo.xx

mizfiesta
12-12-10, 16:25
I certainly recognise the hangover bit Tom. I also have dry eyes frequently and dry mouth (like I've been out on the tiles the night before) sometimes to. The dopiness soon wears off. There is one thing I will say about these tablets, I have never slept so well in my life. And it's like going to the cinema for free every evening as my dreams are so vivid and entertaining. Got to look for that silver lining eh?

mizfiesta
12-12-10, 16:30
Jo how long were you on it before your mood benefited? And are there any other benefits you've reaped from taking it? Has it changed anything about old behaviour patterns for example?

JT69
12-12-10, 16:37
I think it was around the 3 week mark when I started to feel better mood wize....I know that I was terriably irritable when I first started taking it and was jumping down everyone throat at the drop of a hat, this was quite difficult for my family as I am not normally like this. For me I have benefited from waking up and everything feeling such an effort and that dread feeling to that of somewhat normality, I sleep alot better and I feel alot more positive about everything. I have gained a lot of weight on it but hope to conquer that in the New Year but anxiety wize it did not help me that much, I take pregabalin to help with that.

I remember the dreams too at the beginning so vivid!!!

Hope you get some benefits from it.

Jo.xx

mizfiesta
12-12-10, 16:50
Thanks Jo. I totally get you with the weight gain - I've gained around 8 pound in two weeks. I am trying to exercise regularly, watching my food intake and trying to be as sensible as I can...I do soo love my food though so I will have to be careful! x

JT69
12-12-10, 17:08
Thats my trouble I love my food too.....when I first started on it I was still off sick from work so went on my treadmill daily but then went back full time in March and that all went out of the window!!! I try and manage it twice weekly on my days off but am always so busy especially at this time of the year!!! Not fair is it??? I know that I would rather be mentally well and fat then feel like I did and be thinnner!!! If you know what I mean...but yes be careful!!!

Jo.xx

mizfiesta
12-12-10, 17:11
I'll try but I've a feeling it's going to be an uphill battle :) x

JT69
12-12-10, 17:16
Have the brain zaps gone??

mizfiesta
12-12-10, 18:10
Yea I think so JT....I actually can't think if I've had any or not today. If I have they must have been very minor and short lived. They've certainly decreased. I feel a wee bit better today. Hopefully the Prozac has finally left my system and that'll be the end of them x

tomc
13-12-10, 14:58
I notice the dreams being vivid, unfortunately mine are about dull things, like school uniform and shoe laces! lol. its taken me 2 hours to get out of bed today. Also I'v noticed that I'm drinking more than usual. has anyone else had that?

Tom

haziefantasie
13-12-10, 15:39
Hi Tom

When you say you are drinking more do you mean alcohol or just drink in general? Ive been on mirtazapine for just over 4 wks now and have found i get a dry mouth all the time so drink a lot more water, I believe its a very common side effect with these tablets. If you mean alcohol there is a thread where people have discussed it, I havent personally experienced it but everyones different. I found it difficult to get out of bed at first but it is getting easier x

tomc
13-12-10, 16:39
Its only drinking more water. I used to drink a lot of alcohol, not drinking as much as I used to. Find that the tablets are sending me to sleep with less alcohol, which is nice.

mizfiesta
13-12-10, 17:21
I find that my eyes can be really dry since using this med. They feel 'gritty' at times and tired. I thought I had an eye infection or something and bought drops. I subsequently read that this can be a side effect of the Mirtazapine?

tomc
17-12-10, 11:57
My eyes feel tired a lot. Also I noticed something a bit scary last night, I couldn't swallow properly. Has anyone else had this before, or should I see a doctor about it?

mizfiesta
17-12-10, 12:04
Tomc, your difficulty swallowing could be caused by anxiety. It's a very common problem for people suffering with their 'nerves'. Do you feel anxious/stressed?

tomc
17-12-10, 14:27
mizfiesta

I do feel a bit anxious, restless + irritable, also feel tipsy and light headed all the time. Another thing I have noticed is a headache. I never used to get them at all, and now have had 2 in 3 days. My concentration has also gone down to a few minuites.

Tom

slowfish
19-01-11, 17:31
Hi

I had to increase my mirtazapine dose from 30mg to 45mg 3 weeks ago and I still don't feel any better. I'm starting to worry as I thought I would feel better after 1 or 2 weeks. Do I need to wait another week or so?

Thanks

ElizabethJane
19-01-11, 19:19
Hi Slowfish I am also taking 45mg mirtazapine. It will take up to a month for any increase to be felt. It took me at least a month as the increased dosage needs time to 'kick in' I don't really know why this happens as you would think the benefits would be felt straight away. Be patient allow a few more weeks for change to be felt. If you still don't feel any better then go back to your GP. EJ.

slowfish
20-01-11, 10:34
Many thanks for your reply ElizabethJane,

Very reassuring. I was hoping to feel better after a week or two I suppose, as that's what the leaflet says.... and then when you don't you start to worry even more and feel worse.

Thanks again.