PDA

View Full Version : Does pregabalin help with OCD?

keval
08-12-10, 16:26
Hi Folks,

As I understand it, pregabalin is approved for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) in the European Union. As obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and GAD sometimes go hand in hand (as in my case), I was wondering if pregabalin can help with OCD.

Does anyone have any experience with this or thoughts on the matter?

Thanks in advance.

keval

keval
16-12-10, 14:16
Hi Folks,

Well, 81 views and not a single reply - as yet.

Don't know what to make of this. Time to put my thinking cap on!

keval

ems43
16-12-10, 18:28
Hi Keval, I haven't seen any evidence in articles etc that it has been helpful for those with OCD. HOwever, many people claims it helps calm their racing thoughts, so in theory it could help with intrusive thoughts from OCD. I probably wouldn't believe it would be the best med for this though, from my experience either clopramizine or sertaline seems to be prescribed most for OCD. How are you getting on with the pregabln now? xx

keval
18-12-10, 15:41
Hi Keval, I haven't seen any evidence in articles etc that it has been helpful for those with OCD. HOwever, many people claims it helps calm their racing thoughts, so in theory it could help with intrusive thoughts from OCD. I probably wouldn't believe it would be the best med for this though, from my experience either clopramizine or sertaline seems to be prescribed most for OCD. How are you getting on with the pregabln now? xx
Hi ems43,

Many thanks for your reply as I was starting to feel lonely!

Like yourself, I haven't seen any articles about pregabalin and OCD. But the way I see it is that both OCD and GAD are anxiety disorders. So, since pregabalin appears to be effective against the anxiety in GAD, perhaps it may help with the anxiety in OCD. I'm not medically qualified so it's pure supposition on my part.

Regarding the so-called OCD medications, I've tried virtually all of them and not a single one has proved effective.

With reference to pregabalin, I will shortly be starting a new thread on the lines of My Pregabalin Journey. At the moment, it is not reducing my anxiety, which generally remains at an unbearable level.

keval

ems43
19-12-10, 21:09
I'm sorry to hear that it isn't helping you either. It can be a long road finding the right medication that helps. Do you suffer pure OCD or GAD/ OCD. I only ask as I am actually diagnosed with GAD but apparently their is often a fine line between OCD and GAD and I am nearing the OCD line ( eg, my problems are always related to obsessive thinking, neutralising etc). Have you considered trying a low dose antipsychotic. I have just started on 2.5mg olanzapine to try and get to grips with this overwhelming anxiety, and read a few articles stating that a lose dose antipsychotic ( especially olanzapine or riseperidone) appears to work well for people with OCD in conjunction with an ssri. Just a thought.... x

keval
21-12-10, 13:15
I'm sorry to hear that it isn't helping you either. It can be a long road finding the right medication that helps. Do you suffer pure OCD or GAD/ OCD. I only ask as I am actually diagnosed with GAD but apparently their is often a fine line between OCD and GAD and I am nearing the OCD line ( eg, my problems are always related to obsessive thinking, neutralising etc). Have you considered trying a low dose antipsychotic. I have just started on 2.5mg olanzapine to try and get to grips with this overwhelming anxiety, and read a few articles stating that a lose dose antipsychotic ( especially olanzapine or riseperidone) appears to work well for people with OCD in conjunction with an ssri. Just a thought.... x
Hi ems43,

Thanks for the reply.

My current and recent therapists are/have been of the view that I have both OCD and GAD. I seem to remember my current therapist saying that the main difference between OCD and GAD is that OCD features compulsions (behavioural or thoughts). But I do get confused about GAD as definitions of it invariably refer to excessive worry about everyday matters - health, financial concerns, etc. That does not really apply to me. From my point of view, worry is rational but what I experience are irrational anxiety responses to triggers. It seems to me that what is perhaps more important are the presenting symptoms than the exact label.

Referring to medications, I have tried at least one antipsychotic combined with another medication but I can't remember the names of either. Having tried so many medications over the years, I regret not keeping notes about many of them. I just remember the ones that gave me big problems!

Best wishes!

keval

keval
29-12-10, 16:02
With reference to pregabalin, I will shortly be starting a new thread on the lines of My Pregabalin Journey.
Well, it doesn't look as though I'll be pursuing the above. After careful consideration, I am now planning to gradually withdraw from pregabalin.

Such is life!

keval

JT69
30-12-10, 14:21
Hi Keval,

Sorry to hear that pregabalin has not helped you...we are all different..but it is a shame to read when someone has not benefited.

Hope you find an alternative.

Hope the withdrawal goes well for you.

JO.xx

ash1807
30-12-10, 18:38
Keval,

I was told by my doctor that Pregablin is for anxiety related symptoms, thus I would very much assume that an SSRI would be a better choice for OCD.

Have you been on any SSRI prevoiusly? Sorry to hear that your anxiety levels are still hight. People react to medication differently. The only thing I can say here is that take your time to taper off the med. I have had horrendous times with tapering previously

ash

keval
05-01-11, 18:44
Hi Keval,

Sorry to hear that pregabalin has not helped you...we are all different..but it is a shame to read when someone has not benefited.

Hope you find an alternative.

Hope the withdrawal goes well for you.

JO.xx
Hi Jo,

Thanks for the kind words.

I intend to be very careful indeed with the withdrawal.

keval

keval
05-01-11, 19:07
Keval,

I was told by my doctor that Pregablin is for anxiety related symptoms, thus I would very much assume that an SSRI would be a better choice for OCD.

Have you been on any SSRI prevoiusly? Sorry to hear that your anxiety levels are still hight. People react to medication differently. The only thing I can say here is that take your time to taper off the med. I have had horrendous times with tapering previously

ash
Hello ash,

I had thought there was a possibility that pregabalin might help with OCD as OCD is an anxiety disorder. I therefore experience a great deal of anxiety in much the same way as someone with GAD, for example.

I have tried many SSRIs and none have been effective.

Your point about slowly tapering off pregabalin is well taken. When you say "I have had horrendous times with tapering previously...", would you be kind enough to give some details? I am particularly interested in the rate at which you reduced your dosage, what was your starting point and for how long had you been taking pregabalin before tapering off? That information would be most valuable.

Thanks in advance.

keval