PDA

View Full Version : will dr now put all symptoms down to anxiety?

amethyst3
08-12-10, 19:37
Hi! I am worried now that when I go to the doctor they will put any new symptoms down to anxiety even though I might have a physical illness. I could have something wrong with me but it may now be overlooked. I know it sounds irrational but does anyone else have this fear? Thanks. x

Wee-Mee
09-12-10, 21:21
Yes. I feel like that all the time. Like they won't bother examining me because they think it's all in my head. :( Awful the way our heads work. I'm having a right time of it at the moment regarding my health. *hugs* here i fyou want to talk. xx

uk23
10-12-10, 02:53
totally agree with you.

**this might be triggering and make you anxious**

last time i went to the doctor about pain in my foot she was 'its just anxiety and a bite youve been itching'. After another doctors visit they found it was cellulitis and i needed antibiotics.

anthrokid
10-12-10, 04:13
Some doctors may attribute things down to anxiety just because you do have anxiety and many symptoms often overlap, but a good doctor will always analyse it properly. Remember, doctors generally do know what they are talking about because they do see the symptoms we have every single day and what they are caused by (with the exception of uk23's doctor!). If you feel that your doctor doesn't take your symptoms seriously because of your anxiety, shop around and find a doctor who sounds to you like they sincerely do :)

looking4answers
10-12-10, 04:51
My doctor ALWAYS says about 99 percent of what iss wrong is anxiety but she checks me again and all over for any sign of anything and actually gives me an ekg to make sure and then tells me its anxiety. And there is no sign of anything.. so.. thats what happens with me

Groundhog
10-12-10, 08:12
Well when I walk into my surgery my doc has never said ‘Hello anxiety sufferer it’s all in the head – don’t sit down...next please’.

Must say even with the anxiety I do not visit that much but certainly the last major blip I had the doc listened intently and even though I told him it was just an anxiety attack he insised on giving me the ounce over, doing bloods and an ECG to assure both of us.

No in answer I do not think docs brush it off lightly, they would be all to well aware that on average we visit maybe once or twice a year with genuine problems and at the end of the day they are professionals.

amethyst3
13-12-10, 12:06
Hi! Thanks for your replies. It makes sense that most doctors know what they are talking about. My doctor must be sick of seeing me! Some months I am up there every other week!!! It is so hard sometimes to think that certain symptoms are caused by anxiety. x

heavenly
13-12-10, 13:05
Hi! Thanks for your replies. It makes sense that most doctors know what they are talking about. My doctor must be sick of seeing me! Some months I am up there every other week!!! It is so hard sometimes to think that certain symptoms are caused by anxiety. x

I know how you feel. I have a little pain in both my breasts, I know its not serious but I got her to check them a couple of months ago, and she said I could get the cysts drained but I don't have to. I am seeing her tomorrow for a check up as I am have been put on Citalopram but they are bit more painful now so will probably get them checked again!!