PDA

View Full Version : Jolting Awake

JAYQ
08-12-10, 21:50
I have been feeling pretty well the last couple of weeks, no symptoms really and sleeping ok but starting last night it seems like if anxiety is coming back a bit. I went to sleep fine last night but woke up for a few mins about 3 times.

Now after coming home from work i wanted to take a nap because i was very tired, i could barley hold my eyes open on way home. I get here with my mind at ease and start to try to take a nap and each time as i am starting to have a dream (fall asleep) i will jerk violently awake, like i am being shocked.

It happened over and over in the span of the 2hours i was trying to sleep. Is this common and does anyone else get this? It makes me so sad and mad because i just want to freaking rest and i cant even thou i am so tired and worn out. :huh:

gaaron
08-12-10, 22:58
Hi, Yes I get that. It's just maybe you're feeling a little anxious. x

JAYQ
08-12-10, 23:38
Thats the thing, i wasnt feeling anxious at all. All i thought about when i got home was, i am pretty tired so i need to lay down and take a nap. All i thought about.

gaaron
08-12-10, 23:47
I Know, same here. But you could have been 'overtired'. Try not to concern yourself over it as you know that'll make it worse. Everyone gets the 'jolts' now and again. x

Nigel
08-12-10, 23:58
Hi JAYQ,

It’s perfectly normal and something everybody experiences from time to time. I don’t remember the exact term for it right now but it’s an electrical pulse that happens in the brain as we go from light sleep to a deeper sleep. Most times a person is unaware of it, but occasionally they are, and that often coincides with irregular sleep patterns – ie dozing off at an unfamiliar time.

Don’t worry about it :)
Nigel

JAYQ
09-12-10, 00:02
Hi JAYQ,

It’s perfectly normal and something everybody experiences from time to time. I don’t remember the exact term for it right now but it’s an electrical pulse that happens in the brain as we go from light sleep to a deeper sleep. Most times a person is unaware of it, but occasionally they are, and that often coincides with irregular sleep patterns – ie dozing off at an unfamiliar time.

Don’t worry about it :)
Nigel

Why does the mind do this thou if thats the case? How can i get it to just let me fall asleep instead of making me jerk away like something is happening to me. They say its from being exhausted well i cant cure my exhaustion and tiredness if my brain jolts me awake over and over again. :(

Nigel
09-12-10, 00:26
Sorry, I don’t know the exact theory without doing some Googling myself, but it’s something that just happens automatically as we go from one sleep state to the next. There's nothing we can do about it.

I occasionally notice it at night, but it happens more when I lie down for a nap at other times of the day. Try not to worry about it because things always seem to happen more when we think about them. And see how it goes later when you go to bed properly.

Nigel

RLR
09-12-10, 02:34
Okay, the term for what you are experiencing is known as a hypnogogic response and occurs quite often in persons who are suffering from poor quality sleep or other form of fatigue or exhaustion.

When you proceed toward sleep, an area of the brain known as the reticular activating system begins producing changes in how the brain controls consciousness and body movement, known as sleep paralysis, which occurs during certain phases of sleep.

In the case of hypnogogic responses, as you proceed toward stage 1 sleep, the motor cortex is being stimulated due to false starts into sleep paralysis, causing myoclonic jerking action of large muscle groups, particularly of the limbs that typically startles the individual to the waking state. Sensations of falling during this sleep phase is also common.

A similar phenomenon takes place as you exit sleep and approach the waking state, known as a hypnopompic reaction.

Again, the events most often occur in the presence of sleep deprivation or exhaustion.

Nothing to worry about here. You'll be just fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

ronski
09-12-10, 16:38
Rutherford you have answered a question I have been trying to get answers for for years. Since getting ME/CFS I have this happen to me frequently, I have never been able to have a nap during the day as every time I drop off to sleep my body kicks me awake sometimes with a feeling that I cannot get my breath for a second. It happens sometimes when I first drop off to sleep at night but has got better if my anxiety levels are low. I have asked doctors about it and they look at me as though I am mad or imagine it somehow. You explain it so well thank you very much.
Ron