PDA

View Full Version : hiya im sarah im new

sarah56
20-03-06, 17:38
hiya im sarah, im 21 and been suffering panic attacks for about 6months. i am on citalopram 20mgs and have been for 3months. i have just tried to cut them dead, cold turkey. its my 3rd day and the attacks have returned already, so back on them again tonight. i want to stop them because i go totally out of control when i drink on them, which means not a very good social life for my age. im in a no win situation a social life and panic attacks or no panic attacks and down because no social life. i have joined tio know that im not the only one. look forward to hearing some of your experences or if you new to give advice if i can sarah xx

s.walters

Robertc160882
20-03-06, 17:58
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you get back on your meds alright and things settle down. I think you have maybe tried to come of them to quick it would have been best to step down in doses but again maybe it is to soon for that.

It is hard given that you can’t drink on these meds but even when you off the meds drinking alcohol will increase your anxiety state ten fold. It is one of these unfortunates and I guess you need to make a decision as to wither the meds are right for you etc because it is possible to drink alcohol with prozac.

Well best of luck.

Robert

wendy
20-03-06, 18:00
Hi Sarah

Welcome!

I took citalopram for a short while and believe you need to decrease your dosage slowly to aviod side effects, Have you had a chat with your Doc agree how is best to wean you off? Also he/she may beable to suggest an alternative for you if you both think it is needed

You are defo not alone!

Wendy x

nomorepanic
20-03-06, 18:18
Hi Sarah

Welcome aboard.

If you want to come off the meds then it HAS to be done very slowly and not cold turkey. You need to talk to the doctor about coming off slowly so he can reduce the dosage etc.

Hope we can be of some help to you on here.

Nicola

clickaway
20-03-06, 18:30
Hi Sarah and welcome aboard.

Yeah, always come of the meds very slowly - that's a golden rule.

As for the alcohol, well, it is possible to have a social life without it. Not so good, I know, but at least that way you will still have fun nights out and reduced anxiety.

Take Care,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

dream
20-03-06, 18:33
hi sarah
welcome to this site
take care denisexxx

denise

sarah56
20-03-06, 18:42
thank you guys for reply didnt think i would get any(prob to do with anxitey) im going to see my doctor and see about changing them. my panic attacks started coming back anyway, so think they are wrong for me now. just to let you all know i suffer from health anxitey, which i believe started because i worked in a care home and someone died on me and i was all alone. once again thank you for replies hope to hear some experiences as i never met anyone that goes through same as me. (expect mum but in not that comfortable speaking to her about it)
sarah x

s.walters

trac67
20-03-06, 19:25
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Karen
20-03-06, 20:09
Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum.

There is some advice about coming of medication getting bad again..... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7064). I agree with the advice that you need to taper off slowly and with the advice of your doctor.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Alexandra
20-03-06, 22:25
Hi Sarah

You will find lots of help & support here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Meg
21-03-06, 21:16
Never ever come off mood altering drugs without tapering them slowly unless you are prepared to cope the effects. They are mood altering so they're just doing what it says on the tin and not a cool experience usually.

Drinking with panic don't go well together anyway - meds or no meds, so you may need to consider that soft drinks are a good option too - they do not necessarily ruin your social life at all.

Alcohol and meds
Alcohol and medication (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2143)
MEDS AND ALCOHOL (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1068)
PTSD and Alcohol (UPDATE) (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3899)
Alcohol? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=259)
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/lounge/topic.asp?TOPIC ID=5126
Alcohol and citalopram (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=808)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

sal
21-03-06, 23:38
Hi Sarah

Pleased you have found the site, like Nic told you come of them slowly as coming of them abruptly will cause extra anxiety that you dont need hun. It isnt easy when you are wanting to live your life to the full and feel the medication is stopping you doing that but dont forget that without the medication if it has worked for you would you have wanted to go out. Two sides i know and i have being there, i opted for the mediation, wasnt easy by no means at first but i came to the decision where i had no other choice.

Thinking about you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

sarah56
22-03-06, 18:52
hiya guys, well i have gone back on meds and this is one of my better days, as i have had panic attacts, feeling very down and emotional. nothing today though, just fed up with all of it now. i have decided to drink my limit and have soft drinks in between. i know how much to drink before getting out of conrol, so maybe that will work. this is all thanks for your advice helping me decided. i think i was just getting so fed up with it all, i gave up. this site has helped me lift my sprits again to one day panic attacts will not take over my life anymore.
thank you all very much. x

sarah xx

s.walters

sal
22-03-06, 22:42
Hi Sarah

Pleased you have started taking your meds again and you can slowly reduce them. We are all here to support you and you are not alone. It isnt easy but in time it does get easier. You will get their and start leading the life you want to. You go out with friends and have a laugh that is the best medicine you could ask for and everytime you do that you are one step further to overcoming this.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

sarah56
23-03-06, 14:57
hi sal, thank you 4 your advice. sometimes i feel yeah im am getting better, then other days i feel as though its just the medication doing it for me. im a kind of person that hates relying on things, but i know i have to. i know if i do go to my doc he will advice me not to come off them yet. its so soon. so im just going to have to keep going. im just waiting to see a counsellor, which the doctor has messed up. they have refered my to the local counsellor, which is not quilified enough to deal with my issues. so more waiting, but thats doctors for you. so maybe when do get the right counsellor all this will go, well im hoping. lol

sarah xx

s.walters

Meg
23-03-06, 18:28
Its totally fine to rely on meds for a while - gives you a breather to use in order to make your internal changes

Its also normal to be very up and down so get your sea legs on.

I'd think seriously about having 2 less than your limit or you will be increasing your rocky mood needlessly and prolonging how rubbish you feel for longer

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress