PDA

View Full Version : Read this if you're worried about chest pains

skippy66
08-12-10, 23:49
Since last week I have been suffering from crushing, squeezing tightness across my chest radiating to back, arms, neck, shoulders, jaw and temples. Along with a feeling of impending doom, and generally feeling spaced out by the whole thing. The pain came on with any kind of exertion, and went away after 10-15 mins rest.

Guess what it says if you Google these symptoms?

Well the doctor ran tests to confirm it wasn't heart attack, angina or blood clots. In fact it's something called costochondritis which can occur spontaneously or in my case, caused by a mild virus.

I can tell you the pain is excruciating and it feels like a heart attack, your whole upper body is being squeezed and tightened. It sent me into a blind panic and I was on the verge of saying bye to my loved ones.

I read many posts on here about pains here and there in the chest, none of which sound serious, but all of which cause major worry.

I just wanted to reassure people that if you do experience chest pain that you think is a heart thing, please do not panic because the pain is more likely to be caused by something completely benign.

All the little chest pains I've had before this - I look back now and think: they were nothing compared to this! And even this, bad as it is, is harmless (though painful)!!

I'm not saying don't get chest pain checked out, but I'm saying don't think the worst because benign chest pain can feel REALLY bad, and not do you any long term harm.

xBettyBoopx
09-12-10, 01:40
Thank you for the info skippy:yesyes::yesyes:

Liz

PokerFace
09-12-10, 12:59
Lovely post skippy, thank you :) xx

ChrisK
09-12-10, 14:46
Thank you, have a lovely day !

anthrokid
10-12-10, 03:14
Heya Skippy!

I've had this as well, and this was before my anxiety when I was about as carefree as they come. I remember the pain was excrutiating and every time I breathed in it was like a sharp stab and then the ache radiated! And amazingly, I didn't even panic about it, I just went back to sleep after 15 minutes because it wasn't affecting ym breathing or anything! When I saw the doctor about it a week or so later she told me it was caused by the inflammation of tissue in the chest and that it was completely harmless!

It's amazing when I think about it now that I didn't freak out and spiral into a panic about death when I was in such agonising pain, but that now whenever my chest gets even a slight ache a panic about my heart!

I think it was great to post this! I'd actually forgotten all about how painful it was compared to the little jabs I feel every now and then and panic over. It just goes to show how silly my anxiety can be.

I hope it helps other people to feel a bit calmer about chest pains. My psychiatrist actually told me recently that most chest pains anxiety sufferers worry about are actually symptoms of muscle tension in the chest and back caused by anxiety itself!

It's always a good idea to get chest pain checked out initially, but as my doctor tells me, unless I fall to the ground and I'm unable to move, it's nothing to panic about. I really have to envy doctors. I wish I had the knowledge they do some days!