PDA

View Full Version : Just been electrocuted

Anxiety Jim
08-12-10, 23:50
Hi

I haven't been on here for a while, and I've made a little progress about constantly worrying about a heart attack.

So anyway, i just plugged in something i forgot I had taken the fuse out of, and when i went to pull it out again the cap came off and my thumb connected the two points the fuse goes in, and i got a really bad pain up my right arm and then across my whole body, i didn't let go for 4 or 5 seconds, and now 30 minutes afterwards, my arm still hurts and I'm getting really bad palpitations.

Should I go to A+E? Any suggestiongs?

Thanks

Jim

Going home
08-12-10, 23:54
Jim, after 30 mins it doesn't sound like it might be anything serious, but its probably better if you call your medical after hours service and ask them what they think.

Take care
Anna xx

debs71
08-12-10, 23:56
Well, I would if I were you Jim, purely because electrocution can interfere with the normal heart rhythm. Your palps may well be due to concern/anxiety after that horrible experience, but just to be on the safe side I would do, just to get an ECG and have them check you out, for any burns and suchlike that can occur after electrocution. As Anna said, I would think that all is well, however for your own peace of mind I would, or at the very least phone NHS direct for advice.

Take care.:winks:

Horse
08-12-10, 23:59
The fact that you were able to 'let go' doesn't sound as though it's too serious.

However, not knowing your medical history, I would advise perhaps a check over or call to the A and E or out of hours doc.

Good luck.

Nigel
09-12-10, 00:18
Hi Jim,

If you don’t have a (genuine) heart condition I’m sure you’ll be fine. Even if you do, the shock would have an effect at the time, not 30 mins later. I’m not a medical expert though so feel free to ring NHS Direct for medical reassurance if that makes you feel happier.

I did spend nearly 30 years fixing TVs, and a few more before that dabbling, and electric shocks were inevitable. It’s surprising how quickly you learn though! If you just touched the fuse contacts with one hand the electricity would’ve just flowed through those fingers from one contact to the other. It will make the muscles in that hand and arm suddenly tense up, hence why it now aches a bit. Plus you're probably now really focusing on how it feels.

The dangerous shocks are when the electricity flows through the whole body, and the heart. That happens if you touch something live with one hand and something earthed with the other, like the metal casing of something, or a radiator or water pipe. The other dangerous one is when standing on damp or solid ground with poorly insulated shoes, because again the electricity will flow up your arm and down through your body to earth.

Even that sort of shock isn’t usually fatal unless a person has a heart condition or pacemaker, but the big problem is when a person grabs hold of something as opposed to just touching it. Because a shock tenses the muscles, when grasping something live it can be impossible to let go. The only thing to try to do is yank the lead out.

I’m sure you’re fine Jim, but please be careful :)

Nigel

looking4answers
09-12-10, 03:33
hmmm you sound like me after getting shocked by an electric fence across the back. I bended over and picked up a horse water container.. yes it was metal and I was standing on wet ground .."IDIOT" lol I grabbed the container lifted up and caught the wire across the back.. It hurt .. and probably caused a palp or two but probably the shock of getting shocked with 6000 volts across the back and being scared caused the palps.. I don't think I ever incurred any problems with it. Also Ill tell you about the times I used to play with a positive transformer getting it to arch.. lol. .I didn't know the case wasn't grounded and picked it up a few times when it was on.I knocked me across the yard twice lol .But thats been many years ago. By the way the transformer was 15000 volts lol..