PDA

View Full Version : Repeat UTI's - 3 in 6 months! Help!

Helen1973
11-12-10, 23:11
Hi! I'm asking if anyone here suffers with repeat UTI's. I'm on my 3rd in six months and it's getting me down quite a bit. I think it may be sex related as the pattern suggests a connection. I also suffer with IBS and I found a great article from a lady who suffers with both UTI's and IBS.

Still, I can't get the worry out of my head that this is something worse than a simple UTI, or sensitivity to them after sex.:weep:

I try to tell myself that I've had a two clear urine tests in the same six month period, and that after six months you'd expect more than a trace of blood (as well as the usual signs of a UTI such as white blood cells and nitrates) in a first morning sample!

The other thing is that the AB's seem to take their time in working and more than once I've needed a second dose. Can anyone with experience offer me any reassurance, Pretty please! :flowers:

JaneC
11-12-10, 23:48
Hi Helen, I currently have my second uti in four months and am on my second lot of cephalexin for this one as the first didn't fix it. It's really getting me down as well but I've been prone to utis for some years ( I have also been diagnosed with irritable bladder and I have IBS as well). So yes, you can get recurrent utis without it being anything more sinister. Just very annoying. painful and uncomfortable. I totally sympathise with you x

Helen1973
11-12-10, 23:53
Hi Helen, I currently have my second uti in four months and am on my second lot of cephalexin for this one as the first didn't fix it. It's really getting me down as well but I've been prone to utis for some years ( I have also been diagnosed with irritable bladder and I have IBS as well). So yes, you can get recurrent utis without it being anything more sinister. Just very annoying. painful and uncomfortable. I totally sympathise with you x

Sympathetic hugs to you Jane! We're in a similar boat :D After being prone for some years to UTI's is it normal to have them so close together? Have you had a spate of them before?

Thanks for the reply!:hugs:

debs71
11-12-10, 23:54
I sympathise too Helen.

I am on my third bout of cystitis/UTI this year and it is very annoying, very uncomfortable and absolutely maddening when you urgently need to be near a loo all the time! Like you, there is the same pattern to mine, and it has always been following visiting my boyfriend who lives abroad.

I completely understand your worry and frustration with this, as sadly once we have one bout it seems we are predisposed to more - UTI's are a classic for that - but all I can say is Thank God treatment is available and we get some respite in between.

Big hugs to you.:hugs:

Helen1973
12-12-10, 00:02
I sympathise too Helen.

I am on my third bout of cystitis/UTI this year and it is very annoying, very uncomfortable and absolutely maddening when you urgently need to be near a loo all the time! Like you, there is the same pattern to mine, and it has always been following visiting my boyfriend who lives abroad.

I completely understand your worry and frustration with this, as sadly once we have one bout it seems we are predisposed to more - UTI's are a classic for that - but all I can say is Thank God treatment is available and we get some respite in between.

Big hugs to you.:hugs:

Aw! Thanks and big squishy hugs back!:bighug1:

My doctor said on Friday to make sure to wee straight after sex. I'm sure my husband is going to love that! No snuggles afterwards *sigh*:lac:

JaneC
12-12-10, 00:13
I think I have had them close together before Helen but I'm struggling to remember because with irritable bladder I get sometimes get uti symtoms but test negative so it's hard to recall over the years what was one and what was the other. I think part of the prob is the increasing resistance things are developing to antibiotics. I'm not convinced the infection I had in August ever went away properly! Hope the antibiotics work for you this time and that's the end of it xx

Helen1973
12-12-10, 00:18
I think I have had them close together before Helen but I'm struggling to remember because with irritable bladder I get sometimes get uti symtoms but test negative so it's hard to recall over the years what was one and what was the other. I think part of the prob is the increasing resistance things are developing to antibiotics. I'm not convinced the infection I had in August ever went away properly! Hope the antibiotics work for you this time and that's the end of it xx

Thanks, Jane. I think anxiety is giving me an irritable bladder too, because a few times I've resisted getting testing after UTI symptoms and they've gone away. This time though was to obvious to ignore--though I did try my best for 3 days :D

I hope these tablets work too, though I'm not certain they will as she only gave me 3 days *sigh*

Time to start drinking a LOT of water methinks!

Thanks for replying again and best wish for you and your own bacteria-battle!:flowers:

JaneC
12-12-10, 00:22
Thanks Helen. I;m always sceptical when they only give you three days' worth as well. I've got a week's this time so fingers crossed but maybe that's because I can't tolerate the particular antibiotics that are recommended for utis at the mo. Let us know how you get on xx

PS, drinking lots of water will do no harm at all - homemade barley water has been recommended to me as a good way to flush out your bladder

JaneC
12-12-10, 18:40
Can anybody help please? I'm on my fourth day back on cephalexin and in so much pain. Has anybody found their symptoms getting worse after starting an antibiotic :weep:

Ambers
12-12-10, 21:13
Jane - could the antiB's be causing thrush? Has the pain changed?

I live on antiB's for cystitis...I have lived with it for the last 5 years and now have to take a dose of Cephalexin straight after sex (I did have to take half a tablet every day for 3 months at one point it was so bad).

But the antiB's give me thrush pretty much around day 3/4 - it's a vicious circle...however cyctitis (which makes me very depressed) is much worse than thrush.

JaneC
12-12-10, 21:18
Hi Ambers, thanks for replying. I often get thrush after I finish a course of abs but it doesn't feel like that xx

Helen1973
12-12-10, 21:36
Hi Jane! I'm sorry your UTI has taken a turn for the worse.:hugs: I have found my infection getting worse, though usually half way through a course and if the infection is resistant. You may need a different AB for this one. Either that or if you suffer with IBS the symptoms can seem the same pain-wise (at least for me). I'd take some painkillers and see your doctor tomorrow about a different AB. I'll be thinking of you.:flowers:

Ambers
12-12-10, 21:52
Ok..in that case I would agree with Helen - you probably will need to change your antib...make sure they take a sample to test - I also had to change to a different antib once. Hope it clears soon - I know how bad they can get x

PS drink drink drink - I know you know this drink more than you think you need! and I don't mean the brandy ;)

JaneC
27-01-11, 10:52
I know this is an old thread but after yet another infection I've given in and asked doc if I could try a preventative low-dose course of antibiotics - he's given me three months' supply of cephalexin. Just wondered if anyone has gone down this route? x