PDA

View Full Version : New to Citalopram - would appreciate any support!

CiaraJansonFan
13-12-10, 13:42
Hi all,

First post here, although I've been visiting the site for a few weeks now. I'm Steven, 36 and from near Manchester. I have Type 1 diabetes.

I started on 10mg Citalopram about 2.5 weeks ago now (19 days to be precise!) as I have been having trouble sleeping recently. I had either been unable to get to sleep or woke up really early and couldn't get back to sleep.

I think it's partly the time of year (winter blues) but also partly work related as I don't have problems sleeping Fri/Sat.

I was fine the first week on the tablets but I was also on a course so something different than the usual monotony I suppose! Last week was a nightmare though - slept OK Sunday night but woke up at 4 a.m. Tue/Wed and couldn't get back to sleep. I also had difficulty getting to sleep on Thurs so I was absolutely shattered last Friday!

Last night I got to sleep OK but woke at just before 5 a.m. and hadn't been back to sleep before my clock went off at 6:30 a.m.

I've always been a nervous person so I've ordered the 'Self Help for your Nerves' book recommended on here.

I've read nearly all of the survival guide on here (more than once) but I suppose I'm just looking for reassurance from forum members that my sleeping patterns will return to normal soon!

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips :)

Steven

blueangel
13-12-10, 14:08
Waking early is a classic sign of anxiety - I've had it many times and am suffering from it at the moment. It should ease off when the citalopram starts to work properly.

heavenly
13-12-10, 14:40
Hi Steven, I am on week 6 of 20 mg Citalopram. First couple of weeks, I woke mega early and couldn't get back to sleep and had a lot of anxiety. But now my anxiety is minimal and I sleep very well. My GP told me to take mine first thing in the morning as it can affect sleep. Give it some time, it will kick in. xx

escocesa
13-12-10, 14:58
Just be patient. I'm on day 13 of citalopram and have had problems with my sleep as well as anxiety. I didn't sleep for 4 days but one of my doctor friends said you have to ride out the side effects at the begining. I'm being patient and I know that things will work out well in the end. Be patient and don't worry. Try and get some exercise to tire you out.....I did yesterday and managed to sleep! Also try and see if you can get to see a therapist at some point to help with the anxiety. Good luck!

CiaraJansonFan
13-12-10, 15:52
What a response! Thanks to everyone who has replied.

My GP told me to take my tablet about 2 hours before bed as it should 'help me sleep'! Well I suppose it is helping me GET to sleep, it's just the waking up early that's a killer :weep:

Laneybc
13-12-10, 19:25
Hi Steven, I am at Day 30 now on Citalopram and Day 22 at the therapeutic dose for me. My sleep has improved quite a bit now. I had a bad night last night but I didn't get upset about it and I expect to be fine tonight. (I think the house was too warm and I had a little nap yesterday which may have been a poor idea).
Try to just keep hanging in there and it will get better fairly soon. I would think you are getting close to the point of relief from some of the worst of the side effects and relief from the sleep issues, etc. Just keep taking your meds faithfully and keep a regular sleep schedule. Watch your nutrition too and avoid junk foods.
Be sure and post if you need more reassurance. The first few weeks I read every post on citalopram here looking for reassurance. Now I feel like life is going to be okay again. I am starting to feel interested in things again instead of wondering how many more years I might have to keep enduring this. It will get better.
All the best,
Elaine

happycamper
13-12-10, 19:49
Hi Steven,

I personally always give citalopram the thumbs up, been on it 6 months now and it's really helped.

I do recall a good month or so of rubbish sleep, like you said, pretty exhausing, however it improved to now where I barely have any problems, except much more tired in a morning, getting up can be tough, but rather that than the poxy anxiety!

Hope it all improves for you very soon. X

mr badger
13-12-10, 20:23
Waking early is a classic sign of anxiety - I've had it many times and am suffering from it at the moment. It should ease off when the citalopram starts to work properly.

Yup. I'm in the same boat. Wake at 5, usually very anxious. get up, install on sofa with sleeping bag and watch crap on telly for a couple of hours.

Par for the course. Waking between 4 & 5 is a classic sign of stress and anxiety,

I'm on day 14 of Cit and it's making a real difference.