PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, I'm new here

On The Outside
14-12-10, 16:27
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and decided to join after reading through some of the forums and identifying with others who have posted.

I've suffered from OCD, shyness and Social Anxiety for most of my life. This has made it very difficult for me to meet people and make new friends. As a result I've spent a lot of time feeling lonely and isolated and these thoughts and feelings have led to depression. I currently don't work or study and have no local groups I can go to. I've also had almost no help from my local mental health care. The stigma of living like this gets worse with every day.

Up until recently I did at least have one real life friend but he became unbearable and often said quite hurtful and insensitive things to me. I've generally been unlucky in life when it's come to finding good friends and have had a lot of bad experiences which have made it hard for me to trust people. The last couple of years things have got worse and I've ended up becoming a recluse hardly ever going over the doorstep.

There was a time in my early twenties (I'm now in my thirties) that I used to be content with my own company and my hobbies. But over the years my feelings of loneliness and need for friendship and companionship have increased and I've been left not knowing how to go about changing my situation. I've been on other support sites and tried social networking sites in the past (as a way of making friends) but I have great difficulty being noticed by people and often when I've tried to initiate any kind of contact I've not heard back from them or stopped hearing from them after only a few messages. This has made me feel even more cautious about contacting people. But I feel determined to change my life and start going out again and making progress instead of hiding myself away.

I'm hoping to get to know some people here and possibly make new friends. Just reading some of the threads I can see there are others in a similar situation.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from someone. :)

nomorepanic
14-12-10, 16:29
Hi On The Outside

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

teez
14-12-10, 16:42
hiya on the outside,,welcome

paulst
14-12-10, 18:12
Welcome to NMP, im glad you have joined us.:)

michaeladam
14-12-10, 18:43
hi to you i know what you are going through im also new not used to this sort of thing id love to be more sociable i dont hate people they just seem alien to me:hugs:

Vanilla Sky
14-12-10, 21:03
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

Veronica H
16-12-10, 10:36
:welcome:to NMP. Glad that you have found us.

Veronicax

mary56
16-12-10, 18:07
Hi there

Welcome to the site; I have been a member for just over a week now and have found it very supportive. When your five days are up you can go into the chat room; there you can have live chat with very friendly people. Put any question to them and they will try and answer it as best they can. You will find that people have similar feelings and experiences to you; it helps to know you aren't so alone.

I am like you in that I don't have many people around to support me; I am a bit of a recluse, never felt comfortable in social gatherings, consequences of which have been quite an isolated life. Recently I have been physically ill, which has led to me having panic attacks. I feel so exhausted physically and mentally, very drained and worried I will never be well again. I am older than you, but should still have loads of life left in me, sadly at the moment I don't!

Hang on in there, you're not alone. Good that you want to deal with your problems; that's always a good start!

Mary x

paula lynne
16-12-10, 19:32
Hi, welcome to the forum, its good to know you x :welcome:

eternally optimistic
16-12-10, 19:36
Hi and welcome....

I know how you feel and you have found a true friend in coming to this website.

Lots of takers when it comes to giving out advice and laughter...

Hope you stick around and get back on track.

I have a family and although I work etc, I feel quite isolated and need "new" friends.

Best wishes.

challangerchris
19-12-10, 18:55
Welcome On The Outside.

Your post made alot of sense to me, sounds like your in a very similar position to me. Chin up, loads of help on here.... :)

On The Outside
21-12-10, 17:17
Thanks for your replies everyone! :) I've only just seen some of them as I've not had a chance to go online much for the last week. Anyway, thanks for welcoming me and I hope to maybe chat to some of you soon. :)

Wildmage
29-12-10, 13:47
HI

I am much the same, I have never had many friends and relationships and the ones I have had in the past have not been very good so I completely understand. I am very shy with men, so relationships are difficult to initiate and with anxiety disorder most men do not understand, have never met one that did anyway.

I too am now in my late thirties and feel lonely a lot and wish I had someone to talk and laugh with, but don't so tend to stay in a lot, as do not have anyone to go out with and am not the type to go to a pub or club on my own. I started going on holiday by myself a few years ago to try and help myself and this helped me a little.

Just keep persevering and you have new friends on this forum now so you are not alone anymore. :welcome:

Emma (aka) Wildmage