PDA

View Full Version : Hello

reliefseeker
14-12-10, 18:22
Hi, I'm 35 years old, married, have kids, and am usually pretty happy with life. Back in the mid-90s I got my first bout of panic/anxiety/depression and it scared the hell out of me. Since then it comes back every year or two years and lasts a few months. I have taken prozac since this started and it seems to help a little, lately though not so much.

I have the "what-if" thoughts which trigger weeks and months of worry... about having mental illnesses, unwanted sexual thoughts, cancer, HIV, etc. I worry about getting into a depression I can't get out of (the scariest of all). A few days ago I had the worst night of my life. I was worrying about stuff and all the sudden my adrenaline went on and it felt like my heart was going to burst open and the back of my neck felt like it was on fire. I never had an episode that bad before. Of course it didn't help that I had numerous cups of coffee and a potent energy drink earlier that day. So for the last few days I've quit caffeine and alcohol altogether. I still smoke though. Giving up the caffeine seems to have helped a little.

My mom says heart palpitations and panic attacks are hereditary on her side of the family. She's dealt with it for decades and takes a combination of meds that she says have changed her life. My grandfather on her side also had something similar.

I wonder if I have Pure-O OCD. After doing research online it seems like that's the case. Its been such a help reading all the other posts here. I feel like I'm not alone for once.

nomorepanic
14-12-10, 18:24
Hi reliefseeker

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

paula lynne
14-12-10, 18:36
Hiya, welcome to the forum, its nice to know you and yes, you will find lots of help and support here.:welcome: