PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine Withdrawal

LonelySoul21
15-12-10, 01:55
Hi all,
I have been on 15mg Mirtazapine for a month.
I have experienced no improvements while on the drug.
My GP said that I should stop and switch to Citalopram.
So at the moment I have stopped taking it, I haven't experienced any adverse effects of withdrawal yet apart from the dreaded brain zaps :)

Do you think a month is long enough to notice a change ? Was it too early to give up on the drug. Like I said, It was my gp's suggestion that I try a different drug.

Part of me thinks that trying a new drug isn't really worth the side effects...And theres also the issue of, if citalopram doesn't work, I'll have to undergo discontinuation with that and then possibly try ANOTHER drug.

Is it really worth the hassle ? Also, do people generally suffer similar side effects with different drugs? And is there any way to tell whether you would be allergic to a drug before taking it ?

I always worry that I will have the worst adverse effect and would have to be taken to hospital.. :(

Anyway, thanks for any replies :).

Vixxy
15-12-10, 10:33
A month is a bit short, it can take up to 2 months to start to notice the benefits.
I stopped citalopram for mirtazapine and was on both pills for a week and then gradually stopped the citalopram.
Mirtazapine is another class of AD, so it can be taken at the same time as an SSRI, which should stop any withdrawl side effects as you stop. I'm currently taking mirtazapine with seroxat as long term thing and the combination is working really well.

It might be worth going back to the docs, or calling them and asking if you can hold off swapping for another 2-3 weeks. That way you're giving it a fair go. You never know if you swap so soon and discount its benefits you might be missing out on something that will work.
Hope this helps. x

BubbleBonce
15-12-10, 20:08
15mgs of Mirt isn't necessarily a big enough dose to help you. I was told that 30mgs is the lowest dose anyone should be on to expect an improvement and that came from a Psychiatrist. Maybe going back to the GP and asking for an increase might help?

Best wishes

JD